SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I be feeling weird about this? Question for our members especially military
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I be feeling weird about this? Question for our members especially military Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
So my older brother and I are both big watch fans. He's at a totally different level than I am with a collection in the 000,000 range. Ball had a presale (basically a kickstarter like campaign) for new Engineer III watches the Bronze Star and the Silver Star. They offered them at a great pre-order price and my brother very generously ordered two; one of me and one for him. He has spent most of his life living overseas and doesn't have much experience with the US military and such. So the watches are military watches as they have isignias on them. They are pilot watches so I think he just thought they were avaition insignias of some kind. Turns out they are Airforce insignias. Now neither of us or anyone in our family for that matter has served in the Airforce. I almost feel like these watches should be reserved for people who have. I definitely don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. It was a very thoughtful and generous gift. So should I be feeling weird about this or just shut up and enjoy my new watch?

What say you?

The watch in question.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No reason to feel weird it's a commercially available watch- Enjoy it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I bet you could work a trade for very little cost to end up with one with no insignia.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful watch!!! I'd wear it!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about. It's a watch, not stolen valour.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It's a tribute piece, no shame in showing tribute to our military. Plus, I doubt many, if any, will ever recognize the insignia.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
So should I be feeling weird about this or just shut up and enjoy my new watch?

Nobody notices or cares but you, man. Enjoy.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I served in the USAF for 24 years and your wearing that fine watch doesn't bother me a bit. If anything, you are showing support of those of us who did. It's not a military medal or award.

Enjoy and appreciate.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government

Posts: 129 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
So should I be feeling weird about this or just shut up and enjoy my new watch?

Nobody notices or cares but you, man. Enjoy.

Exactly, I'm an Air Force Vet and I would have no idea what kind of watch it is nor would I care. Enjoy it.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
It's a tribute piece, no shame in showing tribute to our military. Plus, I doubt many, if any, will ever recognize the insignia.

This.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They have Conductor, Trainman, Fireman collections, but that doesn't mean you need to have operated the locomotive to wear one, it's just a marketing thing.

Nice watch, wear it with pride, you have a good brother to give it to you...

Posts: 23402 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Showing support for the military. But I do understand your thoughts/feelings on the subject. It's the exact reason I won't wear a shirt or hat with a military insignia.

Also, I'm not a watch wearing guy, but that is NICE!

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It would take a total nutjob to have a beef over someone wearing a commercially available watch. I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought, nothing wrong at all - in fact like others have stated it's showing support - not trying to claim you served.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Just enjoy the gift from your brother.

But, if it makes you feel too weird, I'm in for the karma.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, it's fine and pretty subtle, it isn't a big USAF crest or anything.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can see how getting such a nice gift might be a problem.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
That is a really good looking watch.

I love the clean, uncluttered, easy to read, face.

Wear it, enjoy it, and think of your brother when you wear it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I wear an Omega Seamaster Pro, but I'm not James Bond. I'm not even an MI6 agent.

FWIW, many Luminox watches have navy seal insignias on them, as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
There is exactly one type of vet who will give you shit about having that watch and wearing it with pride: the kind who did absolutely jack diddly in their do-nothing, no-responsibility having position, and in their insecurity treats the simple fact that they served as some sort of exclusive club membership to be used to lord over supposedly lesser mortals.

Those of us who have actually accomplish something during our service applaud you for showing support to our brothers and sisters in uniform. Rock it with pride bro.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not military, but I'd put this in the same category as buying a Blue Angels baseball cap at an airshow. Heck, back in the 80s when Top Gun came out, every clothing store had flight jackets on the rack. I doubt that many people believed the guys wearing them were REALLY Navy pilots.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post