SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EV cars - expectations over the next few years?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV cars - expectations over the next few years? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've installed solar. And it seems to make financial sense to get an EV car for local use.

Current default is Tesla 3 (base model). I hear but don't know details:

1. Tesla has a new battery coming that will dramatically extend range (something like from 250 miles to 500+ miles) AND reduce the price of the 3 from $36k to $25K (before credits). But when is this exactly expected to be available for purchase? This year? In 5 years?

2. Toyota seems to have a new battery that will be used to bring their EV cars to market. All my cars have been Toyota for decades. So this would certainly be attractive. Any insights into when a sedan model might be available?

I'm trying to search the webz but not really finding any useful info. Any body have more detailed insights?

If something like the above is available w/in the next year or so, I will wait. But if these things are 5 years out, then I'll probably just get the 3 for now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Same, Solar since I think 2014. Been saving $ ever since. Same year I acquired a Leaf on lease then bought it for pennies on the dollar at lease end. I've never paid to put kwh in it because it's basically charged off the sun.

Myself, I don't like Tesla. Not because of political reasons. I just think they cost too much. If I want performance it's still gonna be gas powered because Tesla's are heavy, I've driven them, and you feel it in the corners.

For an EV, my DD will be one until I'm dead. But I prefer a cheap compact version, an A to B machine. Don't need a luxury DD, or even something fast. I've got other vehicles to meet those needs. The Leaf was the only game in town for a cheap DD. The current one is better than mine but it's not cheap either.

Reality is you are going to have to wait. Every single mfr. in existence is spending billions on EV development. I read car news daily. Every business day. They are all working on them currently. Ford, VW, some of the largest auto mfr's on Earth have diverted 50+% of their R&D to EV's. For now, the higher cost options are the only things available. You'll see new EV's every year over the next 5-7 years and I mean a slew of them from every mfr.

Right now, I would suggest looking at the Leaf and wait for a cheap lease deal. In 2014 I was not going to jump in the water head first. I dipped my toe in and got a $199 a month lease deal (negotiated for the loaded model for an extra $20 to 30 a month). At lease turn in they wanted 16k to buy it from them. With some patience, research, and negotiation I got this down to $6700 and then Nissan offered me a 7 year bumper to bumper factory warranty for $1600 that started on the day I bought it. That + the 3 years of factory warranty under lease means bumper to bumper factory warranty for 10 years. It expires in April of 2024. And I will likely be able to sell it for the same $6700 I paid for it at that time but my intention is to drive it into the ground because it's a local car only for me. So the 84 mile range bothers me zero. It's the donkey in the fleet. I'm hoping I can get a battery pack replacement that will double the mileage at some point and spend the 5-6k on that rather than buy a whole new car. I've had zero issues with it. It's the most reliable car I have ever owned and there is essentially no maintenance. At year 5 (last year) I had the brake fluid flushed out and replaced. Other than that just in cabin air filters and a 12v battery replacement due to age.

I just checked and they are offering no lease deals right now. The Model 3 you aren't saving anything. Higher purchase price negates any real savings. You buy the Model 3 because of performance not because you are saving $. You can easily beat the 3, by buying something like a base Impreza/Civic/etc and putting gas in it. The best deal for a commuter on the market right now, while they are still left, is the Honda Fit. If I couldn't have stole my Leaf as I did, I would be DD'ing a Fit right now. It has a ton of room inside, magic seats, fuel efficient, low MSRP, and has decent driving dynamics for what it is, especially in a manual trans version.

Buying a Model 3, to me is because you want performance, or geek out on the iPad or be the cool kid. It certainly isn't saving you any $. It's a luxury item. When they make a 25k version, yeah, that changes everything. Parts are an issue with them, need something you may have to wait a bit. Get into a fender bender, well you can't just take it to your preferred auto body shop. They mandate where it goes for repair. There are build quality issues also that are well documented. If dead set, buy used, and make someone else take the depreciation hit.

I checked the Bolt also for lease deals. $284 a month is the cheapest. You need to calculate how many miles you do, or will use it for, the gas cost you spend annually, and get into some math before you can decide if it's financially worth it. Smart money is just wait for new product offerings. They are coming.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota is kind of behind the curve for an all electric model. If you want that you will be waiting until at least 2025.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
What to expect in EV and renewable energy over the next few years? Solyndra on steroids as the Dem's funnel billions to their sycophantic enablers. Any big improvements in this sector? My bet, none. Innovation occurs on its own timetable, not the government's, regardless how much taxpayer money they throw at it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My next vehicle for the wife will be an EV.

The Tesla Model Y is the front runner right now for me, but I'm hoping someone else makes a compelling answer to the Model Y soon. The fit and finish is a little disappointing based on the copies I've seen (panel gaps), but being the market leader does count for something--especially during this early adoption period where standards are shaking out. You don't want to be on the losing side of the next Blu-ray vs HD-DVD battle.

I'd like to see what BMW, Lexus/Toyota, and Volvo come up with soon.

Apple and Hyundai (and by extension Canoo) are working on something.

Lordstown Motors is coming out with a pickup truck.

Rivian RT1 is coming soon.

Lucid Air

Arrival.

Canoo also has a vehicle coming out.

Jaguar e-Pace and Audi e-Tron are sexy.

The Porsche Taycan is way outside my budget but is sexy too.

So many choices in the works.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kinda want one of these, Morris JE.
https://www.morris-commercial.com

I wonder how import regs will change for EV.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
GM is going to go full retard, have you seen their new "all inclusive" logo?

he new logo features the automaker’s “gm” initials in lowercase letters with the “m” underlined as a nod to its Ultium battery cell platform that will underpin its new EVs, said Deborah Wahl, GM’s chief marketing officer. The blue letters are inside a rounded box of the same color. It replaces a white “GM” underlined within a darker blue block.

“I truly believe we are at an inflection point for EVs,” Wahl said during a media briefing Friday. “Today we’re creating a call to action and we’re showing how we plan to lead the future by inviting ‘everybody in.’ … we want to spark the mass EV adoption movement.”

The new logo, which was designed in-house, accompanies a new “everyone in” tagline and advertising campaign focused on EVs. The “ev” to begin the tagline is in the new blue color while the other letters are in white.

Wahl said the campaign will be “very significant,” but she declined to provide how much the automaker spent on the redesigned logo and new messaging.

“We’re actually all in this together and GM’s future will be built on the people and the forward momentum of products, software and services that make EVs accessible for everybody,” Wahl said. “This campaign will challenge stereotypes and represent all walks of life.”

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I'm in the anti-EV camp. Have had one for 5 years to use as a city car in Europe. Originally the allure of free parking and free charging made me buy in. For me they have too many limitations capacity, range, etc. Eventually the parking and charging benefits were taken away by the local gov. It now costs more to charge per mile than filling a petrol or diesel car, not including the time it takes to charge it up. That's even at the European fuel prices that are 3x to 4x higher than in the US. So not only does it cost me more per mile in "fuel" to run- Another comparable fuel powered car would be cheaper to buy as well.
No chance of an EV in my garage in Europe or Stateside.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm agnostic to parking, if there's a benefit, it's just gravy. Same with HOV lane use.

Recharge costs are nill for me - I have solar for which my usage, including EV, will be under the solar output.

My assumption is that TCO for the EV will be much lower than my Toyota's over a 15 year period. That being said, I'm still a little concerned about reliability and maintenance. I read about issues on the webz but have some friends with Tesla who report trouble free experiences (at least for 2-5 years of use). So, after 15 years, relative to the gas powered car I would buy, the EV would be about the same costs, perhaps cheaper. The benefit would be less trips to the shop for maintenance, no trips to the gas station, always 100% range when we leave the house, less mechanical parts to break down, etc. But I am concerned about Tesla when things do break - I hear that's more inconvenient. Worst case, we have a 3rd car to help cover for that.

I leaning toward taking the chance. The big question is when. And that's somewhat determined by when the next big advancements will be available. Toyota EV availability and/or 3 with 2x mile range and $25K price. I hear both are coming but no idea when.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Any form of "energy" that requires the taxpayers to keep it alive is a load of CRAP.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the Tesla specific stuff, Mine is a BMX i3.
Sounds like the formula works for you though.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
I think Tesla's overpriced and the quality isn't that good. My parents own one and many of my friends.

That said, in the next 5-10 years, we will have charging stations that will charge as fast or faster than current gas stations and also new vehicles with longer ranges...this will be the beginning of the end for gas powered vehicles.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New batteries that will double range and reduce costs are always just over the horizon.

Rational people expect more gradual changes.

An electric car would not work for either my wife or I, we are retired and our driving habits are not anything like regular unplanned long trips just happen.

I was in Long Beach and listened to a conversation between My son and his friend about how the friend was going to make Las Vegas without a recharge, the answer seemed to be that he wasn't.

The EV may replace internal combustion vehicles entirely, although in my opinion it's a long way off, but the electricity generating and distribution for this major change in power usage also has to be addressed.

Since places like CA & NY and our new fed.gov rely totally upon magic thinking about energy I foresee a long struggle ahead.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sony is in the field trial stage of their EV. They are currently testing in Austrailia.

The new GM logo looks dumb. I'm sure it will be what they use for their parasitic cell phone app. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoupdawg:
That said, in the next 5-10 years, we will have charging stations that will charge as fast or faster than current gas stations and also new vehicles with longer ranges...this will be the beginning of the end for gas powered vehicles.
Got $100 you want to put on that prediction? Until we see a huge jump in current battery tech, fast charging an EV battery in 5 minutes isn't happening. Range is also something dependent on that next battery tech innovation as there is a limit on what manufacturers are going to be able to get out of current battery tech. And something most EV enthusiasts fail to reconcile, where will all this new electricity come from to power these EV's? The leftists won't allow the use of anything petroleum based to generate power, and since nuclear is out, that doesn't leave a solution. Your state can't even meet its current day electricity requirements without rolling blackouts.

My prediction...the internal combustion vehicle is going to be around for a very long time into the future, well beyond my remaining life span. Does that mean there is no role for EV's? Nope. It just means that until something really game changing occurs with battery tech, the role of EV's will continue to be very limited, regardless the wet dreams of politicians and tree huggers.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That doesn’t look at all like a mustang. WTF Ford!? Just leave the mustang alone if you’re gonna do it wrong like that. Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoupdawg:
I think Tesla's overpriced and the quality isn't that good. My parents own one and many of my friends.

Bottom line: would buy again or done with EV?

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
That doesn’t look at all like a mustang. Mad
Yep, I'll never get the reasoning for using the MACH 1 branding for this particular vehicle. Seems it should have gotten a new/unique name all its own.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I agree bigdeal. Such a move is only going to infuriate those like myself who have loved the Mustang since before they could even drive. It cheapens and erodes their cause IMO. If electric is the future why not create a new marquis? Why try to recapture the magic of an old marquis that you know damn well you are not honoring properly?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post