SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia voters: 6-12-18 Republican primary
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia voters: 6-12-18 Republican primary Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
this is very close. Northern VA could swing it rapidly.

crap

88% precincts in

Freitas 113,899
Stewart 113,587
Jackson 30,902

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Damn, that tightened up real fast. Praying for you guys.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
this is very close. Northern VA could swing it rapidly.

crap

88% precincts in

Freitas 113,899
Stewart 113,587
Jackson 30,902

Unfortunately that’s where Stewart will do the best just from name recognition alone.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
95 % in

Stewart 127,639
Freitas 124,777
Jackson 34,474

late Virginia returns always break my heart

Sheer speculation: Kaine is running unopposed. There was no DEM primary for VA senator this year.

In VA anyone can vote in either primary (but not both). It would be simple for DEMs to vote in VA REP primary to push it one way or the other.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Stewart wins we can say hello to 6 more years of the weasel.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
late Virginia returns always break my heart

Yeah tell me about it... Thanks neighbors.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

Thank you for not saying his name. There is zero chance Stewart can beat that fvcker. Damn it!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

Look, we have to be honest. Even if Frietas won, the chances of him unseating a well known senator who just won the state two years ago as VP candidate were slim.

We just went from slim to nil. Still sucks and hurts but it is what it is.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Between Fairfax, Loudon, and Prince William Counties, there is a 10,000+ vote difference. Without those, Freitas would easily have won.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I'm dropping off. Don't see how Frietas can win w 97.9% in.

But, I will vote for Stewart in the general.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Even if Frietas won, the chances of him unseating a well known senator who just won the state two years ago as VP candidate were slim"

True, but a few counters:

In the 2016 election Donald Trump was not expected to win. But he did. That might turn some 2018 votes to a REP senator candidate in VA.

VA REPs know the importance of possible Supreme Court nominations.

Things may come out soon that show how much the Obama admin cheated in the 2016 election. There could be some blowback based on that.

Less likely, there may be attention drawn to Kaine and what he knew about things like the dossier. He could be subjected to some nasty questions and attacks during debates.

posted Hide Post
Guess what, guys. Stewart won ! The real winner is Tim Kaine. When it's time for the election, we're going to be treated to videos of every stupid thing Stewart has said since he was ten years old. Already, he's promising to run a "viscious" campaign against Kaine. That's mature. At least Freitas would have had a chance against Kaine. Stewart has none. This is beyond disappointing.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I live in Prince William county and voted for Frietas

Stewart’s political base and root is here so I hate little hope he would win here

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now We try and make due with what we are stuck with.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I voted for Frietas as well. Was voter # 13 in my precinct..
I will still vote for Stewart over Kaine but the odds will certainly be against him...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groan, Well I guess it shows what the "money" thinks of Corey.. I know he has met Trump a few times.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/...56-270039582ecc.html

quote:
Koch-backed Americans for Prosperity to sit out Virginia Senate race
By Michelle Ye Hee Lee The Washington Post 20 hrs ago (…)
Outsider Trump loyalist's primary win worries GOP leaders
FILE - In this Feb. 22, 2018 file photo, Virginia GOP senatorial hopeful, Corey Stewart, gestures during a news conference at the Capitol in Richmond, Va. Stewart, a conservative provocateur and supporter of President Donald Trump won Virginia's Republican primary Tuesday, June 12, 2018, in the U.S. Senate race, and he has promised to run a "vicious" campaign against incumbent Tim Kaine. (AP Photo/Steve Helber, File)

Steve Helber
Facebook
Twitter
Email
Print
Save
Americans for Prosperity, the main political arm of the influential Koch network, said it will not endorse either party's candidate or put any money into the U.S. Senate race in Virginia after immigration hard-liner Corey Stewart's victory in the Republican primary Tuesday.

The group typically spends heavily and deploys activists across the country to support key GOP candidates. Its backing, particularly in a swing state such as Virginia, could make a big difference in a crucial midterm year when Republicans are fighting to hold on to their majority in both chambers of Congress.

But its decision to withhold that support is the latest sign that the powerful network of wealthy donors and well-connected conservative activists is seeking to strike a more independent tone this election, after years of being closely intertwined with Republican campaigns and causes.

The constellation of groups backed by billionaire industrialists Charles and David Koch and like-minded donors has been ramping up pressure on the legislative branch, urging action on its key policy priorities and saying it will work with lawmakers in either party who are willing to lead on those issues.

The Koch network tends to be libertarian-minded and supports the Republican platform generally. It was a major proponent of the GOP tax overhaul law last year and spent $20 million to push it through Congress.

But it has gotten frustrated that despite the Republican majority in Congress, some of its key legislative goals remain in limbo, such as free trade, immigration and curtailing government spending.

Stewart, a Trump-style candidate, is known for his anti-illegal immigration views and therefore veers from the network, which seeks permanent protection of the 700,000 "dreamers," or young undocumented immigrants who are beneficiaries of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

Americans for Prosperity had endorsed Stewart's primary opponent, Del. Nick Freitas, highlighting among other things Freitas's opposition to tariffs and to Medicaid expansion in Virginia.

"Nick Freitas earned our support by being a champion for policies that lead to more freedom and prosperity for everyone," AFP-Virginia state director JC Hernandez said in a statement to The Washington Post. "We stand behind our decision to support a principled lawmaker who has a track record of fighting for policies that would help Virginians improve their lives."

The decision puts the network at odds with President Donald Trump, who in a Wednesday morning tweet called Stewart's win a "great victory" and warned, "Don't underestimate Corey, a major chance of winning!"

Congratulations to Corey Stewart for his great victory for Senator from Virginia. Now he runs against a total stiff, Tim Kaine, who is weak on crime and borders, and wants to raise your taxes through the roof. Don’t underestimate Corey, a major chance of winning!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 13, 2018
Hernandez said AFP-Virginia will not be involved in the Senate campaign in the state this fall.

"We will continue to stand with those who support policies that will enable people to improve their lives and communities," Hernandez said.

Democratic incumbent Tim Kaine is a heavy favorite for re-election. The Senate GOP's campaign arm does not plan to endorse Stewart or spend money on his bid, meaning Stewart probably will face a tough run against Kaine.

Still, with Republicans holding the Senate majority by two seats and Democrats showing strong fundraising efforts to unseat Republican incumbents, every swing seat could make a difference.

Earlier this month, the network released a digital ad thanking Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, N.D., one of the most vulnerable Democratic incumbents running for re-election this fall, for her decision to co-sponsor a bill to roll back banking regulations.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post