SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Veteran type charities
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veteran type charities Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, now, works at Wounded warriors. They have cleaned house and greatly increased how they track funds

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I just hooked up with Home Town Heroes last weekend. They had a booth set up at the Ice Fishing Expo. Wound up spending about a hour talking to the guys running it. Bought a nice edc knife. They take local vets and police out on hunting and fishing trips locally.
I volunteered to go on the trips and do bbq for them.
Hoping to hear from them soon.
There is chapters across the US and probably one near you.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
I favor Paralyzed Vets, Disabled Vets and VFW.
They have minimal administrative overhead and do great service to our vets.

Same here along with the American Legion.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
I favor Paralyzed Vets, Disabled Vets and VFW.
They have minimal administrative overhead and do great service to our vets.

Same here along with the American Legion.

+1

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
What about charities that assist with PTSD and suicide prevention?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend of mine, now, works at Wounded warriors. They have cleaned house and greatly increased how they track funds

^^^^^^^^
I just don't know, they had A LOT of housecleaning to do and now they are spending a TON on TV ads. I do not like that.
Fisher House for me. I have seen them in action.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^
The VA does that and has gotten better in serving Vets. Trump had a lot to do with that.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

These folks have a great program: https://www.warriorconnection.org/
My family knows vets that have been helped there and those that have been part of numerous programs cite this one as the best of the best.

And of course local chapters of the Mission 22 group.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16207 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I heard of https://tunnel2towers.org/ on the Rush Limbaugh show. They also have a link to many other great charities on the gold star eligibility page....

Not too many places list others for you to seek help...this is the list they show.

FISHER HOUSE FOUNDATION
EOD WARRIOR FOUNDATION
PROJECT SANCTUARY
OPERATION GRATITUDE
COAST GUARD FOUNDATION
ARMY EMERGENCY RELIEF
CIA OFFICERS MEMORIAL FOUNDATION
NATIONAL MILITARY FAMILY ASSOCIATION
COAST GUARD MUTUAL ASSISTANCE
NAVY-MARINE CORPS RELIEF SOCIETY
YELLOW RIBBON FUND
HOPE FOR THE WARRIORS
OUR MILITARY KIDS
OPERATION FIRST RESPONSE
ADOPTAPLATOON SOLDIER SUPPORT EFFORT
HONOR FLIGHT NETWORK
H.E.R.O.E.S. CARE

Personally , I know the CG Mutual Assistance program is worth wise. I saw the good work they did when I was on active duty.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Here is one more for https://specialops.org/

Posts: 4014 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:

Completely agree that the Fisher House is a great charity.

There are 91 Fisher Houses on military installations. The first was at Walter Reed. I was the NCOIC of Social Work and always had families arriving at night. Just finding a bed for them often wasn’t possible.The. There were issues of money, childcare etc. I had one soldier work 3-11 to help them.

When the Fisher House opened, things gat a lot better. JBLM just got it’s second house. They are clean, well run and free to the families.

https://fisherhouse.org/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post