SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Purchasing Gold and Silver Bullion Coins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing Gold and Silver Bullion Coins Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I've been researching purchasing some gold and silver bullion coins and some say only purchase U.S. coins. I have a sample set of American, Austrian, British, Canadian and Australian coins I purchased from a big reputable dealer. These are all 1oz coins, but I find the non US coins I mentioned are much crisper and more highly refined than U.S. minted coins. I know from a weight/value perspective they are all the same, so why do so many tell you only to purchase U.S. minted coins? The Brits back their coins the same as the U.S.

Thanks in advance!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Confirm with your local coin dealers what they pay for various coins. Most likely if it's bullion it won't make much difference where from.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
The premium per coin/country varies. I personally stick to US coins (Buffalo's) as I will generally get most of that back when/if I need to sell to a LCS. You can also avoid coins but get bars but those are easily faked these days and some folks are more cautious when buying those even in assay.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
If you are in North America, either American Eagles or Canadian Maple Leaves are good. If you are in Europe, the Austrian Philharmonics are acceptable. British Britannias and Australian Kookaburras are good in Commonwealth countries. I personally will stay away from China’s Pandas.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I haven't been buying coins, but I've been buying 10 oz bars and a few kilo bars

all from one mint - and when I stopped buying my average price was about $17 per ounce

I noticed today the spot was up over $25

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
For a shtf situation and investment I want USA mint junk silver. Dimes quarters halves and dollars.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Went to a gun show a while back. My mobility was limited back then but I wanted to walk. In our aisle there was a guy selling Randall Knife sheaths. He had one I needed so I bought it. Then I noticed he had silver dollars on display, so I asked him about them. He laughed and then picked one up with a magnet. Not supposed to work like that. The seller said they came from China (you know, of Wuhan fame). He said they'd been faking them for years now. His advice, take along a small magnet. If it attracts, run.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I like US Carson City Morgan dollars.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For silver - American Eagles and Canadian Maple Leafs. (and some 90% junk silver isn't a bad idea)

For gold - American Eagles and Buffalo's.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It's what's in 'em, not what's on 'em, for bullion value.

RE: 'backing' these. Not a factor.

Think about it. Take a US one-ounce from the mint.

Face value $50. Bullion value (as of this instant) of one troy ounce of pure gold: $1,879.20. Would someone promising to give you the $50 face value of a gold coin really be doing you any favors?

Bottom line: 'backing' of a precious metals coin isn't a factor.

There may be some hometown preferences for designs of the various bullion coins (Americans favoring US designs, Europeans preferring Philharmonics, etc.) which may affect premiums paid over bullion value in the market.

That said, if you're looking to maximize the number of ounces your dollars will get, and you yourself don't care what the coins look like sitting in the safe, it could be smarter to go against that trend and get the odd ones, to minimize the extra cost paid over bullion value. That'd make your dollars go farther and get more into your stash.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
There’s some argument for holding foreign coins, instead of bullion - when FDR seized bullion, TMK, foreign coin collections were exempt. (I think coin collectors have some serious pull)

I cannot think of a benefit to owning US minted bullion, unless there’s some special tax treatment for it.

(According to the courts, you do not really own money. Not sure how it works with denominated bullion)

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post