SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New York Gov. Cuomo grants 35,000 paroled felons right to vote
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York Gov. Cuomo grants 35,000 paroled felons right to vote Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...sees-power-grab.html

In an executive order signed Wednesday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo granted some 35,000 paroled felons the right to vote.

the move by the second-term Democrat came after state Republicans blocked a bill in the state Senate.

“I’m unwilling to take no for an answer,” Cuomo said at the annual convention of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network in New York City. “I’m going to make it law by executive order.”

The new directive includes New York in a list of 14 states and the District of Columbia that allow felons to vote in elections after serving their sentence.

“It is unconscionable to deny voting rights to New Yorkers who have paid their debt and have re-entered society,” Cuomo said in a statement.

“This reform will reduce disenfranchisement and will help restore justice and fairness to our democratic process. Withholding or delaying voting rights diminishes our democracy.”

Cuomo said that nearly three-fourths of parolees in New York are black or Latino, and allowing parolees to vote will help them to reconnect with the community.

But Republicans disagree and already started pouncing on Cuomo over the new measure. Republican Senate Leader John Flanagan said Wednesday that the order was bad public policy and could potentially be illegal because the governor ignored the Legislature.

Ed Cox, chairman of the state Republican Party, in a statement, called the directive an “outrageous power grab” in a bid to appeal to “radical primary voters,” according to the New York Times.

Cuomo is facing an energized Democratic primary challenge from "Sex and the City" star Cynthia Nixon, who has repeatedly attacked the governor from the left and for failing to support minorities in the state.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
In Chicago it’s called patronage. Besides, since the borders been closed, how else will the democrats get their votes?

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much concern this warrants. The recidivism rate is likely to solve a good bit of the problem. The rest might be too busy with their chosen profession or dodging the law.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m going to make it law by executive order

It’s the way of the left, but let Trump try to correct something by executive order that was done by their dear leader under executive order and that’s unconstitutional.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt that they have indeed payed their debt and doubt even more they've re-entered society. Why not ship a truck load of absentee ballots to the prisons. Of course, you had me at second term democrat. Roll Eyes they get what they ask for.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I’m going to make it law by executive order.”

Reason enough for the 2A.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Wonder how he feels about reinstating their second amendment rights as well as they have "paid their debt and re-entered society."

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Wonder how he feels about reinstating their second amendment rights as well as they have "paid their debt and re-entered society."
I think it would go something like this...

"oh, ahaaahh" <Stammmering> "well, having less guns on the street is better for society"...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh what sweet poetic justice it would be if they all voted Republican...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Not to worry, this little prick knows what a New Yorker is.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yup, we can't have the democratic process take place on things like this, the king must rule. Executive orders and "messages of necessity" are his thing.

Not that it matters any, in NY we have Democrats and Republicans and they're pretty much exactly the same.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
My parents and my religion taught me not to hate but living under Emperor Cuomo's thumb makes that nearly impossible.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I’m unwilling to take no for an answer,” Cuomo said at the annual convention of the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network in New York City. “I’m going to make it law by executive order.”

Another shining example of a elected Democrat posing as a 'Constitutional Scholar' Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This way everyone gets to vote. Everyone but our legislators apparently, ironic really.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with - on a case by case basis - restoring a former felon's rights. But they had better have served the entire sentence and kept their nose clean for X number of years after that. Parole is not the serving of the entire sentence and doesn't (shouldn't) count.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I thought there was already a process in place for restorations...

but doesn't this executive order only apply to state elections and not federal?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Fuck that asshole. If I still lived in NYS I would drive to the ocean shore with a shovel and start pitching dirt into the Atlantic.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Got to get votes any way you can...only so many dead people to register.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
“I’m going to make it law by executive order.”

Reason enough for the 2A.

Yep, +1

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Cuomo's new book to be released later..."Its good to be God".

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post