SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which global endurance race most suits you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which global endurance race most suits you? Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
Around the world sailboat race? An airplane race like the 1919 London Australia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...to_Australia_flight? A motor rally like Peking to Paris, or the London Sydney rally https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...80%93Sydney_Marathon.

An offroad rally like Paris Dakar, or the Baja 1000? Maybe on a motorcycle?

Posts: 7450 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Would be the 24hrs of LeMans for sure.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15278 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as a sailor, I have always followed the Volvo ocean races and the single hand round the world series.

Americas cup, not so much a fan

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Turtle. If your gonna endure...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Baja 1000

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Paris to Dakar on a KTM.

But the Cannonball Run always looked cool (at least from the movie).

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I got started to downhill race.

Didn't end up going through with it, but downhill was my thing. I was also told GS might be right for me, but only downhill would do, so lost opportunities.

As an adult, Tour of France or the TT really appeal.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
Around the world sailboat race? An airplane race like the 1919 London Australia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...to_Australia_flight? A motor rally like Peking to Paris, or the London Sydney rally https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...80%93Sydney_Marathon.

An offroad rally like Paris Dakar, or the Baja 1000? Maybe on a motorcycle?

I drive A W123 Benz so I am real familar with 1977 running where Mercedes finished 1rst and 2nd.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eltonr:
as a sailor, I have always followed the Volvo ocean races and the single hand round the world series.

Americas cup, not so much a fan

john

Ditto. VOR would be my eutopia.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Another Paris to Dakar here. Particularly on an 800 BMW designed for this race.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all of them and none of them.

When I was younger I would have done them all.

Now I just live through others in my keyboard.

Frown

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Le Tour de France, of course.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I'm getting to the age where a trip around the buffet table is all I've got left of me.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Global curcumnavigation in an SR71B.
Shouldn't take too long.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I am a runner so I would do the granddaddy of the ultras - Western States. 100 mile race with more than 18,000 feet of climbing and nearly 23,000 feet of descent.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The Rat Race.

Not that I enjoy it or stand a chance of winning.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
the Cannonball Run always looked cool (at least from the movie).

Definitely.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'v always enjoyed adventure racing, from watching and following the Raid Gaulois back in the 80's, and later the Eco-Challenge to the more modern Primal Quest.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
I am a runner so I would do the granddaddy of the ultras - Western States. 100 mile race with more than 18,000 feet of climbing and nearly 23,000 feet of descent.

Put me down for WS100 too. I'm 25 minutes from the finish line and have run most of the course's last 35 miles. I paced a buddy from miles 62 to 79. Got in at 11'pm. Not fun. It's next weekend.

TDF too. I'd like to ride the big climbs down south near my wife's family. And I saw Lance A win the TDF in 2005. That's an amazing feat to ride that long and hard for 3 weeks.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post