SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do you play the Lottery??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do you play the Lottery?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Only time I ever play is when it exceeds $500m

I toss $20 into the stupidity

Don't play can't win and sometimes lightening does strike three times

Annually it's about a $40-60 dream. Less than a night out seeing great music

Why not

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Because I've always wanted to own a home that:
  • is on a square mile of land
  • has a walk-in gun vault
  • has a 1000m rifle range

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Woke up today..
    Great day!
    posted Hide Post
    I usually buy a ticket when it gets over 200M. Just one ticket. Your odds don't go up appreciably from there Smile Never win jack. never plan on winning jack. But I like to dream like everybody else. I'd take the lump sum, no telling what will happen in the future. I'd pay off all my family and friends debt. Blow a chunk of it over a couple years. Invest the rest in low risk and nothing foolish.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Whack-Job
    Whisperer
    Picture of 18DAI
    posted Hide Post
    Because hope springs eternal. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Republican in training
    Picture of DonDraper
    posted Hide Post
    I get a few when it's rather large. Why the hell not?! Someone's gonna win it. I might briefly think of the firearm collection I would have, or the Porsche's, '65 Chevy pickups, various homes scattered over the globe. I don't get too excited though...

--------------------
    I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I sometimes play when the jackpot is high but it's pretty much a waste of money. From what I've seen only complete idiots with a host of bad habits, poor life choices and absolutely no ability to manage their finances ever win. They're either dead or dead broke within 5 years.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3529 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A day late, and
    a dollar short
    Picture of Warhorse
    posted Hide Post
    Fun dream for just a couple bucks!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    It's entertainment. Note that it is only $2 worth of entertainment but worth the admission price. If I win...great bonus!

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Lottery gives you a 1 in 200 million chance of not going to work tomorrow.

Bourbon gives you a 1 in 5.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
    posted Hide Post
    For the fun of it, also for a short time I get to dream about what if and somebody will win why not me.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Black92LX:
    I play with zero regularity but throw a few bucks at the Powerball when it gets silly high.
    Not that I think I have any chance of winning in fact I know good and well I won't be winning anything aor all.
    But for some reason when I buy a few tickets imagining what we would do with the money seems so much more vivid kind of like watching a movie in color vs. black and white.

Lots of money would be given away in some silly ridiculous ways if I won it all.

But all I really need is 1 million after taxes. I'd buy 4 years into my pension so I can retire in 4. My wife would quit work and the house would be paid off and kids school paid off and we'd live just about how we do now. Just no work for my wife.
    And a little bit given to charity.

A guy your age needs more than $1mm to retire.

I play because when it gets big, someone at the office organizes a pool. If I had to actually buy the tickets, I wouldn't.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Can't win if I n't play. It's a couple bucks. I spend less on lotto tickets than many people spend on their daily coffee, cigarettes, or happy hour.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Because I've always wanted to own a home that:
  • is on a square mile of land
  • has a walk-in gun vault
  • has a 1000m rifle range

• Bofus.

Honestly, if I hit the powerball I'm buying 9 full sections / 9 square miles of contiguous mountainous land out west, *just* on grid. I might even build a moat. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Good enough is neither
    good, nor enough
    posted Hide Post
    2 dollars lets me dream. Fun to think about what I would do with it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Prefontaine
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ugeesta:
    Because it's fun to dream.

^ This. It's fun. "I'd build my own race track, 21 turns, only one straight, 3.3 mile circuit. Friends only, f mouf breathers"

$10 a year max. I only play blue moon style. Those very few weeks are fun and I dream again for a day or so.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of olfuzzy
    posted Hide Post
    I would rather win the little $37M Mega Millions the same week someone won the $700M Powerball. They would get all the publicity and headaches and I wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    If the winning number were sold where I live,and I had not at least bought one ticket.............

Posts: 12672 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Three Nails To Protect Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jhe888:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Black92LX:
    I play with zero regularity but throw a few bucks at the Powerball when it gets silly high.
    Not that I think I have any chance of winning in fact I know good and well I won't be winning anything aor all.
    But for some reason when I buy a few tickets imagining what we would do with the money seems so much more vivid kind of like watching a movie in color vs. black and white.

Lots of money would be given away in some silly ridiculous ways if I won it all.

But all I really need is 1 million after taxes. I'd buy 4 years into my pension so I can retire in 4. My wife would quit work and the house would be paid off and kids school paid off and we'd live just about how we do now. Just no work for my wife.
    And a little bit given to charity.

A guy your age needs more than $1mm to retire.

I play because when it gets big, someone at the office organizes a pool. If I had to actually buy the tickets, I wouldn't.

Correct. I am factoring in my pension and our 457s.
    1 million would allow us to live in the fashion we are now just my wife would no longer work.

Winning 1 million would allow it. No debt and kids schooling paid off. Invest the rest. I would retire in 4 years get my pension, family health care as part of the pension, plus our 457s. We would be able to live as we do now without issue.

————————————————
    The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
    If we got each other, and that's all we have.
    I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
    You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    The standard answer, "You can't win if you don't play". That's how they sucker me into playing every time the jackpot gets insanely big... Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BurtonRW:
    Because...

Lump sum is worth almost $288M after taxes. Conservative investments and a 2.5% skim off the top means living on a mere $138K per week - and that's without touching the principal, which would be earning quite a bit more than 2.5%.

That's why.

-Rob

$443M lump sum, 25% fed tax, 6% state in Georgia. I figure $305M in take home.

Nevertheless, couple o bucks for cheap entertainment.

--
    I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post