SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do you play the Lottery??
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do you play the Lottery?? Login/Join 
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I agree, it's just fun to dream. Gives you a day or two to get excited about something and look forward to the drawing. When you lose, you aren't disappointed because you knew you wouldn't win. If by some insane miracle you win, then it's obviously worth it.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Because...

Lump sum is worth almost $288M after taxes. Conservative investments and a 2.5% skim off the top means living on a mere $138K per week - and that's without touching the principal, which would be earning quite a bit more than 2.5%.

That's why.

-Rob

$443M lump sum, 25% fed tax, 6% state in Georgia. I figure $305M in take home.

Nevertheless, couple o bucks for cheap entertainment.

Not to be a downer, but I think the lump sum payout would put you into the 39.6% tax rate.....

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
You have to play to win and I rarely play unless the jackpot is really high. Every rare time we have played, we win nothing. Tonight my wife bought numbers for the Powerball.

Why do we play at all? Well if we won then we could buy a nice piece of land to build a modest home on. We would help out some friends and family, do some charity work, and probably open a facility for lost and found birds to take care of them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I haven't played in years. The nagging thought of Voluntary supplemental taxation courses through my mind.

Plus if I did play and actually won, I would suddenly have all of these new friends and long lost relatives.

No thanks.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I played, but lost -- again. Somebody in Massachusetts appears to have taken the whole thing, and at least 25 others in various states matched 5 numbers and won a million or two each.

Back to reality! *sigh*

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone in MA is very happy... 700 Mil Winner.

26 people won at least 1 mil this time (including the jackpot winner).

That's why I play when it gets into the crazy money. Someone has to win and this is the only way I'm ever going to see that kind of dough.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I play with zero regularity but throw a few bucks at the Powerball when it gets silly high.
Not that I think I have any chance of winning in fact I know good and well I won't be winning anything aor all.
But for some reason when I buy a few tickets imagining what we would do with the money seems so much more vivid kind of like watching a movie in color vs. black and white.

Lots of money would be given away in some silly ridiculous ways if I won it all.

But all I really need is 1 million after taxes. I'd buy 4 years into my pension so I can retire in 4. My wife would quit work and the house would be paid off and kids school paid off and we'd live just about how we do now. Just no work for my wife.
And a little bit given to charity.

why would you keep working ? retire in 4 years ?? why waste four years of your life working when you could do whatever you want? I could think of a million things to do and work isn't one of them. Smile

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I don't because I can't. at least not without driving to California.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Someone in MA is now $700MM richer Eek. Holy hell, can you imagine?!?

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to waste money on useless things, just kidding I don't play the lottery.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I play with zero regularity but throw a few bucks at the Powerball when it gets silly high.
Not that I think I have any chance of winning in fact I know good and well I won't be winning anything aor all.
But for some reason when I buy a few tickets imagining what we would do with the money seems so much more vivid kind of like watching a movie in color vs. black and white.

Lots of money would be given away in some silly ridiculous ways if I won it all.

But all I really need is 1 million after taxes. I'd buy 4 years into my pension so I can retire in 4. My wife would quit work and the house would be paid off and kids school paid off and we'd live just about how we do now. Just no work for my wife.
And a little bit given to charity.

why would you keep working ? retire in 4 years ?? why waste four years of your life working when you could do whatever you want? I could think of a million things to do and work isn't one of them. Smile

If I only won around 1 million I would still have to. Have not broken down numbers seriously but Probably up to 5 million or so I would work 4 more years (earliest I could retire). I am young 4 years is nothing to keep working so I would then have a continued income stream (pretty much guaranteed) and healthcare coverage for life.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I guess I am a cheap bastard, but I don't. I've always figured the lottery was a tax on people who don't understand statistics.

Every once in a while I'll indulge myself in a daydream of what I would do if I won a jackpot that resulted in a silly amount of money after taxes on the lump sum payment - say $500,000,000.00. There are a few charities I'd like to help out, some scholarships to endow, some funds to set up to spend the income on various hobbies/toys, etc. I figure not buying a ticket doesn't measurably affect my chance of winning, so I can save the bucks. Smile

I'll probably buy a ticket one of these days, but I'm not holding my breath. As much as I didn't care for that class in college, I do understand statistics.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Don't play, because math.

I can dream for free and the odds are roughly the same.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

I can dream for free and the odds are roughly the same.

As can I and I do but for some reason if I have a couple tickets the dreams are much more vivid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Someone in MA is now $700MM richer Eek. Holy hell, can you imagine?!?

Could have been an office pool. I used to run one with 20-25 regular participants.

Still, I'd be happy to take 1/25 of that pie!

Hey - there's at least one $1M winner in Maryland. If it's me, I'll run a really nice karma once I've collected.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Well, for someone in MA, the math worked out pretty well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always remember Jim Carrey's character in "Dumb and Dumber" when he asks the pretty girl (Lauren Holly) if there is any chance at all she would go on a date with him. She answers "One in a million". He is elated and states "You mean I have a chance!". That is why I play. I know the odds suck but....."I have a chance!"

Posts: 115 | Registered: September 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I used to play and never won and then I realized it's just an idiot tax and I stopped.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I probably spend $10 or less on the big draw lottery tickets each year. It's cheap entertainment playing the what-if game.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post