SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Antonio Members
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Antonio Members Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
Heading to San Antonio tomorrow for 10 days for an Oracle conference (4 days). We are staying at the JW Marriott Hill Country Resort. The JW has a small water park at the hotel, so we decided to bring the kids (5 & 6) along as well.

We're planning on hitting The Alamo, River Walk, Sea World and possibly Schlitterbahn. We will have a rental car.

Any other ideas, particularly that might interest my 5 & 6 YO? Wife has a cousin in Austin with 2 kids (4 & 6) so we plan on visiting them, or them coming to us, so something between Austin and SA is fine.

Wife also found a place called Natural Bridge Caverns. Anyone ever go to that?
http://www.naturalbridgecavern...mkgknzl))/Index.aspx

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There's a big ass amusement park at the intersection of I-10 and 1604 that I can't recall the name of. It's not far from the resort you're staying at, I think. FIESTA TEXAS is the name!

You're gonna want to do any outdoor activities as early in the day as you can manage. Or after sundown.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The Imax Theatre is on the Riverwalk.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The pool/water park at the hotel is great. It will entertain your kids for several days. Get down there early and grab a shady spot to park your stuff. Great hotel, we do weekend escapes there sometimes with our boys.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SA!

Besides whats already been mentioned for kids, the Witte Museum is popular and Rainforest Cafe on the riverwalk. If doing the Alamo & riverwalk - I'd also say to take the boat tour and check out the Tower of the Americas.

Funny, your from Conifer, Co. I remember passing through there. My in-laws live in Nathrop - near Salida/Buena Vista.

Hope you and the family enjoy it here. Stay hydrated!

Posts: 239 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: October 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Natural Bridge Caverns is a treat, and much cooler than those other venues.

I was in New Braunfels last Saturday. The line of cars heading for Schlitterbahn went all the way out San Antonio street to the Plaza and out Seguin Street, and if you had fallen off the San Antonio street bridge near the chute, you would have had to work to get wet.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback all!

I consulted with SWMBO and she said Schlitterbahn was out. Mostly due to cost and limited rides for the little guys. I'll look into Fiesta.

Glad TXJIM said the water rides at the JW should entertain the kids for a few days. I wasn't sure how long until they got tired of it.

Witte museum looks cool! Thanks, we'll look into that! Every young boy loves dinosaurs! Yep, BV is about 1.5 hours from me. We're right off hwy 285!

We'll also see what's playing at IMAX. Kids have never been to an IMAX.

Natural Bridge caverns does sound cool (literally and figuratively), so I think we'll make plans for that. I'll be in the cool A/C Mon - Thurs morning, so maybe SWMBO and the lids can go there on those days!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Best food in town is Tommy's. It's a small hole-in-the wall place that looks really sketchy, but it has the best Mexican food in Texas. My wife routinely buys several quarts of refried beans to take home with us when we visit. There are 2-3 of them in town.

If you want less tasting food (but still good) with a really cool atmosphere, try Mamacitas. It's big and open and is made to look like a Alamo-era village. Even has an animatronic Davey Crocket play the violin ever 15 mins.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In the same area as Natural Bridge Caverns is the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch. You stay in your car and drive along seeing all sorts of exotic animals.

The World's Cutest Grandaughters, 6-8 year olds, got a kick out of it.

This was January, cold and rainy. Your visit won't be.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Speaking of food, when you get tired of Mexican food and want a good burger, or need something cheaper than resort prices, this place is a great dive. I recommend the cheeseburger and onion rings followed by a nap Razz

About 10 minutes from your hotel just off 1604.

https://www.google.com/search?...17904056229304486003

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim, Jim & Hound Dog!

Speakign of food...I love Mexican, wife & kids not so much. Wife is a burger gal. Maybe I can talk her into Tommy's or mamacitas for 1 meal.

I'm open to NON-MEXICAN food if anyone else has suggestions. Maybe not cheap, but we don't do "fancy/expensive". My kids are well behaved.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Best food in town is Tommy's. It's a small hole-in-the wall place that looks really sketchy, but it has the best Mexican food in Texas. My wife routinely buys several quarts of refried beans to take home with us when we visit. There are 2-3 of them in town.

If you want less tasting food (but still good) with a really cool atmosphere, try Mamacitas. It's big and open and is made to look like a Alamo-era village. Even has an animatronic Davey Crocket play the violin ever 15 mins.

That's a fiddle. Wink

OP: Rudy's barbecue on I-10, west of 1604 about 5-10 miles, is a fairly good bbq joint.

DeWeses Tip-Top cafe, on Fredericksburg road in San Antonio has been there since 1938. It's the real deal. Good burgers, chicken fried steaks, onion rings, etc. I recommend it, and it's not too far from your hotel.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...n_Antonio_Texas.html

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Thanks Jim, Jim & Hound Dog!

Speakign of food...I love Mexican, wife & kids not so much. Wife is a burger gal. Maybe I can talk her into Tommy's or mamacitas for 1 meal.

I'm open to NON-MEXICAN food if anyone else has suggestions. Maybe not cheap, but we don't do "fancy/expensive". My kids are well behaved.

The best burger I have had in San Antonio was at Chesters. One is near Broadway on Loop 410 near the airport. Another is out by Randolph AFB.

http://www.chestershamburgers.com

posted Hide Post
My brother lives in Boerne and he insisted he take me to Rudys when I came to visit him. It was good

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Rudy's is very average Texas BBQ, very average at best. With that said, the original location out west off I-10 is cool to see and the food is good.

posted Hide Post
It's very hot (101) here now. Be sure to wear hats and carry lots of water. Don't plan on doing too much walking.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
If you do not have What-a-Burger in CO then try it. River City Cafe on Loop 1604 near 281 has good cajun seafood.

Jim's Resteraunts serve some mexican style dishes such as migas and breakfast tacos, and diner food.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Rudy's is very average Texas BBQ, very average at best. With that said, the original location out west off I-10 is cool to see and the food is good.

The original Rudy's in Leon Springs (just outside of SA on I10 West) is way better than average.

No restaurant on the River Walk itself has good food. Decent food is the best you can hope for in those tourist joints. The Tex-Mex places are your best bet on the River Walk, but they won't be great Tex-Mex.

The Alamo and River walk together are a good half to 3/4 day. But it is likely to be really hot to you, so be forewarned. You could also stop at the Mercado (Mexican market) on the west side of downtown and enjoy that for an hour or two. It is junky tourist stuff for the most part, but kind of fun.

The Marriot you are staying at could probably please your kids for two or three days.

The caverns you mentioned are your standard caverns. I enjoy caverns. I think the tour is an hour or two.

Sea World for rides and imprisoned sea creatures.

Fiesta Texas for a straight up amusement park.

Is there a Schlitterbahn in SA now, or are you talking about going over to New Braunfels? I liked the park when the kids were small. A historic dance hall/honkeytonk is in the neighboring town of Gruene (pronounced "Green") - the Gruene Hall, and they have music every night. I also see who is at the Gruene Hall when I am around.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We are all talking about the same Rudy's. Leon Springs is a wide spot in the road just past The Dominion on I-10 west of 1604. It's a chain, now, but that one is their original restaurant.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Natural Bridge Caverns is extremely cool. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon back in '87 and I know a number of people who have recently visited the place. Well worth the time.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post