SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen's Guard
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen's Guard Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This must be a relatively new thing with all these tourists acting a fool like that? I spent two weeks in London in 1993 on leave while in the US Army in Germany and saw lots of British Army guards and don't recall anyone laughing at them or mocking them.

Posts: 33791 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
But then there's also this.

I'll take Marshall for my team!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a video somewhere of a tourist getting one shot KOed by a Queen's Guard. He's doing the robot right up against the guard and touches him. Gets laid out cold. Should happen more often.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Highway:
There's a video somewhere of a tourist getting one shot KOed by a Queen's Guard. He's doing the robot right up against the guard and touches him. Gets laid out cold. Should happen more often.

I remember this one - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-Windsor-Castle.html

And the Asian getting the sh*t scared out of him after laying a hand on the soldier.

IIRC the 'robot' thing is a frawk - can you find it for me?

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

And the Asian getting the sh*t scared out of him after laying a hand on the soldier.

tac

https://youtu.be/vv007iMWRMY

Go to around 1:55. Yeah, it does look like a staged bit.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well, those giant furry hats are rather ridiculous looking... and pointless, inhibiting even.

Not that it excuses touching them or being overtly disrespectful, but it's hard to take anyone very seriously in a get up like that. I do respect the position, but the outfit?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

tac

That whole thing is fake

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I keep hoping one of HRM's Guard parks the bayonet of his L-85 well into the upper right sinus of the asshole who shows the soldier disrespect.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31434 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Snowflake generation was not taught the meaning of respect, everything is a game to most of them as they believe they are entitled to an explanation...

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Well, those giant furry hats are rather ridiculous looking... and pointless, inhibiting even.

The hats make them look bigger and more threatening. They were adopted after the Battle of Waterloo. Napoleon's Old Guard wore them and after their defeat the British adopted them.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
a throat punch or two might solve the problem.*sarc*

Wasnt there a movie about trying to make them laugh or something? I'd guess that didnt help

Second Austin Powers film. He ends with kissing the guard. The guard turns and smiles at Austin.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately my fellow Americans are the worst at respecting the British traditions. I was at a private showing of the Tower of London with mixed group of Americans, Europeans and Indians. Far and away the least respectful of the Beefeater guards (go look up what it takes to become one) were the American contingent. It was my wife's business function, and her whispering to me to restrain myself that kept me from saying something to the rest of the group. I SHOULD have apologized for their behavior. I wish I had.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:

BTW, outside Buckingham Palace they have live ammunition.

tac

The ceremonial guards don't. The powers that be are overly paranoid about an accidental discharge from a dropped rifle. There is a fully armed QRT ready to go in case they are needed.

We did an exchange program a few years back and a bunch of us went there and did some behind the scenes touring and field training with the Coldstream Guard. We were invited inside the fence for a changing of the guard and did some drinking at Victoria Barracks. A fun time had by all.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
quote:
quote:

tac

That whole thing is fake

Yes.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not that it excuses touching them or being overtly disrespectful, but it's hard to take anyone very seriously in a get up like that. I do respect the position, but the outfit?

Ridiculous, eh?

Laff THIS off.

https://thinkingouttabox.files...s.com/2010/03/sg.jpg

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I think this is sort of a learned behavior, parodied in movies, then twatwaffles on social media... I don't remember seeing anyone try this with the Swiss guard.

If they ordered the guard to start butt-stRoking these people if they got within range this behavior would stop pretty quick.

Keeping in mind that the guard is made up of real honest to god been there done that soldiers who are capable of taking these fools out, I think that not reacting to the taunts may be a source of pride for them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The bearskin headgear is an honored tradition within the Brit military.

Much preferred over comic-opera uniforms that the Secret Service's uniformed division White House "palace guard" wore in the early 1970s when Nixon was in residence. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do respect the position, but the outfit?

It's their uniform. Who are you to talk shit about it?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
The Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is somewhat separated from visitors. The video's I've seen of the Queens Guard you can walk right up to them.

I've been to Arlington a few times. To get to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier you have to walk through part of the cemetery. Even pretty dense folks realize where they are after that walk.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think at a lot of those ceremonies, the crowd is mostly tourists. So they in fact may not have a lot of respect for the British Military or their monarchy. They're just there for the show.

Also, I think everyone visiting Arlington realizes what it's about. It's not about a way past it's prime show monarchy.

I agree with your first point, but I think it's also not quite the case that everyone who visists Arlington realizes what it's about. I've seen a number of video clips of some tourist acting in ways that draw swift, loud rebuke at bayonet point.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post