SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Queen's Guard
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Queen's Guard Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Sick kid at home today, I was already off work. I'm perusing the USMC Silent Drill team.

I took a tangent, and started watching some of the Queen's Guard videos. Why on Earth do they have to take so much crap from bystanders???

If you've ever seen the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Changing of the Guard, they don't put up with anything.

At most of our Military Ceremonies, you can almost hear a pin drop. Total respect and courtesy, and if there isn't, it's dealt with very quickly.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Britian populace and U.S. populace histories with our armed forces are quite different. I think that has much to do with it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, I guess...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Links?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Britian populace and U.S. populace histories with our armed forces are quite different. I think that has much to do with it.

I dunno... How many of the folks harassing the Queen's Guards are native Brits versus stupid tourists? I'd guess that the vast majority are the latter.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

I dunno... How many of the folks harassing the Queen's Guards are native Brits versus stupid tourists? I'd guess that the vast majority are the latter.

I was thinking this as well. Maybe some of our members from Across The Pond could clarify for us. TacFoley, are you there?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
a throat punch or two might solve the problem.*sarc*

Wasnt there a movie about trying to make them laugh or something? I'd guess that didnt help

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few videos where the Queen's guard have gone after people, knocked them down, shoved them, etc.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think at a lot of those ceremonies, the crowd is mostly tourists. So they in fact may not have a lot of respect for the British Military or their monarchy. They're just there for the show.

Also, I think everyone visiting Arlington realizes what it's about. It's not about a way past it's prime show monarchy.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think at a lot of those ceremonies, the crowd is mostly tourists. So they in fact may not have a lot of respect for the British Military or their monarchy. They're just there for the show.

Also, I think everyone visiting Arlington realizes what it's about. It's not about a way past it's prime show monarchy.

This covers it.

So does Youtube with a couple of instances of the some Asian klutz actually laying a hand on one of them.

He got the 'point', I think.

BTW, outside Buckingham Palace they have live ammunition.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

This covers it.

So does Youtube with a couple of instances of the some Asian klutz actually laying a hand on one of them.

He got the 'point', I think.

BTW, outside Buckingham Palace they have live ammunition.

tac

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/hFyFk3VpoDU

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tac.

I have a hard time watching these idiots taunt the Royal Guard, but worse are the dumbasses filming and laughing during the ordeal.

I don't think that would fly very well in America.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Administrator
posted Hide Post
These videos are actually kind of depressing.

Yes, most of the imbeciles that get yelled at or shoved are mostly clueless tourists. But there was a time when even tourists knew to be respectful of a soldier, in uniform and on duty, armed with a bayonet tipped rifle.

There appears to be a generalized mis-perception that the Queen's Guard are simply full-time actors in costumes carrying ceremonial props for the enjoyment of the tourists themselves. Nothing could be further from the truth.

At the same time, few who visit would care because they're not going to learn or understand. They're making faces, getting in the way, and pretty much acting like douches because it's about them and not the institution or people they're visiting. It's has nothing to do with the Palace, the Guard or even the Monarchy and everything to do with the way society has become "me-focused." There are no bad consequences for anything I do, nothing should be taken seriously, and the entire world exists solely for my personal amusement. Roll Eyes It's the kind of delusion that, once it takes hold, can only be solved with a proper ass-kicking.

I can eventually see one of two things happening which will end what used to be a fun and friendly rite for thousands.

1) There will be a France-style stabbing where some terrorist tries to assault a guard and take his gun. No, it won't be very successful because the Palace has surely planned for such a contingency, and that guard you are assaulting is a trained soldier, not an actor. But given how close tourists can actually get to a guard (close enough to lay a hand), and the fact that it's already been tried a few times in nearby-France it's not beyond the realm of possibility that someone fanatical enough might try again.

If that happens and a guard actually gets stabbed or jumped by a group, I would expect future crowds to be pushed way back so that no one can get close to the guards anymore.

2) I'm kind of surprised that this hasn't already happened: someone who is off-duty or retired from the Queen's Guard is in the crowd and gets fed up with how tourists are treating the guys on duty and has more than harsh words with the offending tourist.

And people will wonder why we can't have nice things Frown

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
This is a good read, having been written by a bunch of serving and former military personnel -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_Guard

Of particular note is that the Brigade of Gurkhas has provided a Queen's Guard. You sure as sh*t wouldn't futz around with them, else you'd find yourself getting back on the tour bus with your head in a bag.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I agree, LDD.

But then there's also this.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:

Of particular note is that the Brigade of Gurkhas has provided a Queen's Guard. You sure as sh*t wouldn't futz around with them, else you'd find yourself getting back on the tour bus with your head in a bag.

tac

Well hey, at least that tourist is going home with a souvenir! A trinket, if you will.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
As I recall the Tomb of the Unknowns has a camera that is monitored in their ready room. Engage the guard and you'll likely get taken down. Recall watching a tourist state to climb the steep to the tomb. The guard corrected him in a way that left no doubt he'd better stop.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
its all about context and intent

if you're disrespectful, then get expect to get treated like the asshole that you are

I was hoping that the cretin that assaulted the guard got a bayonet to the chest

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not about a way past it's prime show monarchy.

Past its prime?

France thought that.

So did China, India, Germany, Russia, and Spain to name a few powerful nations. The only nations that defeated them are the US and Afghanistan.

The British monarchy has been around, in one form or another for a thousand years.

Yes, the last 75 have seen a downturn. I blame it on the GDCs.

I bet they are just biding their time. Smile

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post