SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    YouTube set to ban gun sale and tutorial videos. Reddit bans subreddits for gun sales
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YouTube set to ban gun sale and tutorial videos. Reddit bans subreddits for gun sales Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
https://www.mercurynews.com/20...as-angry-at-company/

YouTube shooter’s father says she was angry at company

By ETHAN BARON | ebaron@bayareanewsgroup.com and MATTHIAS GAFNI | mgafni@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 3, 2018 at 8:31 pm | UPDATED: April 4, 2018 at 9:24 am

The night before Nasim Aghdam opened fire in a courtyard at YouTube’s headquarters Tuesday afternoon, Mountain View police found the San Diego woman sleeping in her car.

She had been reported missing by her family in Southern California, and her father Ismail Aghdam told police she might be going to YouTube because she “hated” the company. Police called the family at 2 a.m. Tuesday to say she’d been found and that everything was “under control,” her father said.

But hours later, his daughter was dead of a self-inflicted gunshot after shooting three people and causing an afternoon of terror at YouTube’s headquarters.

In an interview Tuesday night with the Bay Area News Group, Ismail Aghdam said his 38-year-old daughter told her family a couple of weeks ago that YouTube had been censoring her videos and stopped paying her for her content. “She was angry,” he said in an interview from his Riverside County home.

It wasn’t clear Tuesday night what Mountain View police knew about her history with YouTube.

A police spokeswoman confirmed that officers had found a woman of the same name asleep in a vehicle early Tuesday morning in a parking lot.

“Our officers made contact with the woman after the license plate of her vehicle matched that of a missing person out of Southern California,” said Mountain View Police spokeswoman Katie Nelson.

“The woman confirmed her identity to us and answered subsequent questions. At the conclusion of our discussion, her family was notified that she had been located.”

Ismail Aghdam said his daughter was a vegan activist and animal lover. As a youngster, she would not even kill ants that invaded the family home, instead using paper to remove them to the back yard, he said. State records show she had once established a charity called Peace Thunder Inc., to “educate people about animal cruelty, environmental pollution” and other causes.

“For me, animal rights equal human rights,” Aghdam told the San Diego Union-Tribune at a People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals protest in 2009 outside Camp Pendleton.

She told her family that YouTube had stopped paying her for the content she posted to the site, Ismail Aghdam said. YouTubers can receive payment for advertisements accompanying their videos, but the company “de-monetizes” some channels for various reasons, meaning ads don’t run with them.

Aghdam was prolific on social media, posting videos and photos on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube. Her YouTube channel included strange workout video clips, graphic animal abuse videos and vegan cooking tutorials. But recent posts show evidence of her growing frustration.

Aghdam’s YouTube, Facebook and Instagram pages were all taken down late Tuesday, but not before reporters from this news organization were able to view much of the material.

On a March 18 Instagram post, she railed at YouTube: “All my youtube channels got filtered by youtube so my videos hardly get views and it is called “merely relegation.” This is also happening to many other channels on youtube. This is the peaceful tactic used on the internet to censor and suppress people who speak the truth and are not good for the financial, political … gains of the system and big businesses. I recently got filtered on instagram too and maybe its related to youtube and youtube staff asked instagram to filter me here too!!?”

On Jan. 28, Aghdam recorded a video of herself lamenting her perceived “discrimination” by YouTube, particularly railing on how YouTube determined her ab workout video was too racy and, therefore, filtered it.

“I’m being discriminated and filtered on YouTube and I’m not the only one,” the video begins, as Aghdam, wearing a black, white and orange long-sleeved shirt and short jet black hair stands in front of a background of green and white stars. “They age restricted my ab workout video. A video that has nothing bad in it. Nothing sexual.”

On one of her many websites, she claims to have at least four YouTube channels, one in English, and then others in Farsi and Turkish.

A law enforcement source on Tuesday afternoon said investigators were looking into whether she may have been targeting a boyfriend, however San Bruno Police late Tuesday night confirmed she was the attacker but said investigators were trying to determine her motive.
“At this time there is no evidence that the shooter knew the victims of this shooting or that individuals were specifically targeted,” the department said in a press release.

In the interview with this news organization, her father said the family knew nothing about Nasim owning a gun. “Maybe she bought one” recently, he said.

Nasim’s brother, Shahran Aghdam, spoke to reporters from the foyer of the family’s home in Menifee in Riverside County on Tuesday night. His mother could be heard crying in the home and his father asked one reporter about the condition of the victims.

The family came to California from Iran in 1996, Shahran said. He said Nasim had been living recently with her grandmother in San Diego. “She was always complaining that YouTube ruined her life,” he said.

He said she was missing since Saturday and not answering her cell phone. When he learned his sister was in Mountain View, he Googled the city and found out it was near YouTube headquarters.

He said he called the Mountain View police, who found her and reported back that she was fine, and they would keep an eye on her.

Wednesday would have been Nasim’s 38th birthday. He said she never hurt anyone until today, and has no idea where she may have gotten a gun. “She chose the day to die the day she came,” he said.

Southern California News Group staff writers Stephanie Schulte and Richard De Atley contributed to this report.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Not even mentioned in any news I have seen today, I'm not shocked.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fox has it

Posts: 107501 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ismail Aghdam said his daughter was a vegan activist and animal lover. As a youngster, she would not even kill ants that invaded the family home, instead using paper to remove them to the back yard, he said. State records show she had once established a charity called Peace Thunder Inc., to “educate people about animal cruelty, environmental pollution” and other causes.

She was a hardcore animal rights activist and a pacifist at heart. She cared deeply about the earth and it's creatures....right up the point where she shot up YouTube. And so on.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a legally owned handgun. This story will vanish real fast.

And Kalifornia will come up with MORE gun laws.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/ar...n-range-12805400.php

YouTube shooting: Shooter visited gun range before rampage

By Evan Sernoffsky Updated 10:45 am, Wednesday, April 4, 2018

The woman who shot up the YouTube headquarters in San Bruno on Tuesday used a legally-owned 9mm handgun, and had visited a local gun range before the rampage, police said.

Nasim Aghdam, 39, used the 9mm Smith & Wesson semiautomatic handgun to shoot and wound three employees at the YouTube offices at 901 Cherry Ave. before turning the gun on herself, San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini said at a morning press conference Wednesday.

Aghdam “legally possessed and owned the weapon,” he said, and had practiced at a local gun range Tuesday morning, before bursting into YouTube around 12:45 p.m. and opening fire. Police would not specify which gun range the shooter had been to that morning.

Aghdam was angered over the policies and practices of YouTube, officials said, and her father had told police that she was upset that the company had “done something” to a series of videos she had recently posted on her channel.

Her victims, who were not identified, were recovering, said officials at San Francisco General Hospital, where they were taken after the shooting.

Two of the shooting victims, women ages 32 and 27, were released Tuesday night. A third victim, a 36-year-old man, remained hospitalized, but his condition was upgraded from critical to serious, hospital officials said.

Aghdam was pronounced dead at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

Evan Sernoffsky is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: esernoffsky@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @EvanSernoffsky

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
She was a... pacifist at heart.

No.

She was just crazy.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
pacifist

I don’t think that word means what she thinks it does.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
pacifist

It's not someone really into the largest ocean?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:

She was a hardcore animal rights activist and a pacifist at heart. She cared deeply about the earth and it's creatures....right up the point where she shot up YouTube. And so on.

I would wager that she was the type that would show up at protests or, meetings amongst those with similar interests and complain that They weren't committed to the cause enough, You're not hardcore enough, None of you understand!. Somebody will get interviewed and point-out that during protests/meetings/gatherings, she was the weirdo that everyone stayed away from or, asked to stop showing up. Meanwhile, her family, naively thought their little girl had a cute, passionate interest in furry animals, and viewed her as a little-girl in an adult body.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
pacifist

It's not someone really into the largest ocean?

You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course. --Walter Sobchak, From the Movie "the Big Lebowski"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Another alternative to YouTube just opened up for Gunnies.

UGETube

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder where they are really drawing the line with this because Hickok45 is still very active on Youtube.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
All of my favorite videos are still there

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post