SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any favorite recipes for short ribs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any favorite recipes for short ribs? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Looking at probably braising some English Long Cut Short Ribs. Any recipes or other approaches you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
The pressure cooker works wonders.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Anyone else?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've made The Pioneer Woman's recipe and it was great:

Pioneer Woman - Braised Short Ribs

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I do something similar but without the wine. I’ll try her way with the wine next. Too bad, just made short ribs yesterday too. Make it about 2-3 times a month. Love them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Country-style short ribs and sauerkraut in a slow cooker; super easy.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/r...f8-963d-d6a6bdda6e6e

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best short-ribs I ever ate was the ones at Lucques in LA. Phenomenal. I've since made the same recipe and gotten pretty close to it.

Lucques Short Ribs

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys! Can always count of the gourmands of this forum! Smile

Both the Pioneer Woman and Lucques recipes look outstanding (although we'll skip the later's horseradish cream.... allergic Frown ) !

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Best short-ribs I ever ate was the ones at Lucques in LA. Phenomenal. I've since made the same recipe and gotten pretty close to it.

Lucques Short Ribs

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lq6qDgJ3-Qg" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

OK, that's dinner sometime soon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
AMAZING recipe from Cook’s Illustrated:

Tuscan beef stew

Uses a whole bottle of Chianti. I make it with garlic mashed potatoes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
AMAZING recipe from Cook’s Illustrated:

Tuscan beef stew

Uses a whole bottle of Chianti. I make it with garlic mashed potatoes.

No fava beans.... I'm out.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sous vide at 130 for 72 hours, then cold shock in an ice water bath, still in the bag. Remove from bag, pat exterior dry. Char, turning frequently, over an oak fire. Incredible....

Alternately, hit with salt/pepper/onion/garlic and smoke, indirect, at 225-250 for 4-7 hours (depending on thickness), until probe tender. You'll probably have a good inch or two of pullback at the bone ends.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Can't you just save up a little longer until you can afford regular length ribs? Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Big Grin Can't you just save up a little longer until you can afford regular length ribs? Big Grin

Oh shit! And I thought Jesse's comment couldn't be topped in this thread. hahahahahahahahahahaha

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Pepper, garlic powder, very little salt... on the grill....gas,charcoal doesn't matter to me...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Braised in Guinness and served with mash

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Braised in Guinness

Did a search based on your suggestion and was shocked at the number of recipes out there calling for braising in Guinness. Looking good! Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Lucques Short Ribs

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lq6qDgJ3-Qg" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thanks for posting this. I am making this soon!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Channeling Homer Simpson.

Marge: "These mixed nuts are so expensive!"

Homer: "Why don't we just buy separate nuts and mix them at home?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I have my butcher cross cut the short ribs in 1/2" thickness.
I put these on the grill and they are wonderful - no prep is necessary to make them tender .

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post