SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire stretching?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire stretching? Login/Join 
posted
I don't really think this qualifies as a rant, so I'll post it here as a question to all for my own edification...
Is there a purpose to tire stretching? I watched a guy put a 215 tire on a 9.5" wide rim. Could fit a finger between the tire and the rim lip. Maybe I'm just getting old.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
I seem to see the same thing in the largely Hispanic areas that I work in. Seriously screwed up camber angles as well, must be for those high g turns these imports are making...

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Agreed, looks ridiculous. Probably unsafe too, donno.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks hideous along with the really crazy camber angles, mostly seen on cars that couldn't get going fast enough to use more tire than they came with from the factory (Honda civics, Jetta's etc.)

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I watched a guy put a 215 tire on a 9.5" wide rim.
Educate me, please. Does the "215" refer to tire width measured in millimeters at the rim? If not, what does it mean?

If it is what I'm guessing it is, then that tire with is just a bit less than 8.5" so the tire is way narrower than the rim. I guess I just don't understand. I'm sure that somebody will be along to explain it to me.

Also, I don't understand Jimmy123x's comment in this context. If the tire is too narrow, as I'm guessing it is, Jimmy is talking about "more tire." I would think it is less tire, not more.

All of which shows that I really don't understand what's going on here -- waiting for an explanation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it is what I'm guessing it is, then that tire with is just a bit less than 8.5" so the tire is way narrower than the rim. I guess I just don't understand. I'm sure that somebody will be along to explain it to me.

This is the width of the tire cross section at its widest point, i.e., sidewall to sidewall. Across the beads or inner portion, where the tire joins the rim, is much narrower than this, even more so if the tire has been sitting around for a long time and the beads have gotten squashed together. The tire has to be expanded a good 4-6 inches to air it up on a 9.5-inch-wide wheel. Normal wheel width for this tire is 5.5-6.5 inches.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The tire has to be expanded a good 4-6 inches to air it up on a 9.5-inch-wide wheel. Normal wheel width for this tire is 5.5-6.5 inches.

A little lighter or starting fluid will seat that bead right up Wink

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The tire has to be expanded a good 4-6 inches to air it up on a 9.5-inch-wide wheel. Normal wheel width for this tire is 5.5-6.5 inches.

A little lighter or starting fluid will seat that bead right up Wink

Actually that's the only way to do it.

And no, there is no reason to put undersize tires on a wheel. It's a look that a lot of retards are going for these days, along with slamming the car to the ground and running ass-loads of negative camber. Stance, YO. I always hope a bearing will fail and a wheel will pop off...

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Some of the things that go on in the automotive business, and tires in particular, are dangerous. Look up, for example, the outer ring of a split rim blowing off. (Thankfully you don't see these much any more.) Those have been known to cut people in half.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
anybody thinking in your head that this must look ridiculous... you are correct.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I watched a guy put a 215 tire on a 9.5" wide rim.
Educate me, please. Does the "215" refer to tire width measured in millimeters at the rim? If not, what does it mean?

Also, I don't understand Jimmy123x's comment in this context. If the tire is too narrow, as I'm guessing it is, Jimmy is talking about "more tire." I would think it is less tire, not more.

All of which shows that I really don't understand what's going on here -- waiting for an explanation.

My comment means: You see this typically on a car that is not fast enough to even use or benefit from a wider tire than what the factory puts on a vehicle.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post

Wide rims with narrower tires? Looks like crap to me - looks like the bead will tear away from the rim with ease.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:...

Um. No.

There are "belts" and mechanical "vises" that are wrapped around the circumference and will result in the bead being pushed to the rim.

I have a pretty good bit of experience with drop flange, split rim, one peice rim from little bity aircraft up to really big aircraft, and not so high pressure to some of those crazy pressures,

and in hydraulic/pneudraulic/pneumatic systems up to to 5000PSI.

Pressure can kill you. High pressure can kill you faster and more completely.

"Flame starting" a tire bead seal is back alley Russian Roulette.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wide rim with a tire that has narrow tread surface area because it's not designed for that width rim.

Allows them to drop the car into the weeds or slam it and because the tread pattern is narrow it fits under the fender when the suspension is lowered,

A tire made for the wider rim wouldn't fit as it'd be as wide on top as it is on the rim and would rub the inner fender well, this means they don't have to do the work to fix the inner fender wells, flare out the fenders, or spend money on proper suspension work.

Damn ese' why you homies don' get dis shidt.

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Never gave it thought, but found these videos looking into the topic:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/xhDkPBJKsb4

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/BvGxzC4MqFg

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
HRK answered the question of why not just use low profile tires.

But it doesn't make it smart or safe.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Just no...so very stupid... Roll Eyes

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time there used to be a reason for tire stretching. About 40/45 years ago the locals that went out on the dunes here on the Oregon coast didn't have the dune tires of today. They would use somewhat bald and too tall tires and stretch them onto the wide rim to make a quasi dune tire for their 4X4.

Posts: 74 | Registered: April 19, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:...

Um. No.

There are "belts" and mechanical "vises" that are wrapped around the circumference and will result in the bead being pushed to the rim.

I have a pretty good bit of experience with drop flange, split rim, one peice rim from little bity aircraft up to really big aircraft, and not so high pressure to some of those crazy pressures,

and in hydraulic/pneudraulic/pneumatic systems up to to 5000PSI.

Pressure can kill you. High pressure can kill you faster and more completely.

"Flame starting" a tire bead seal is back alley Russian Roulette.

I mean I hear you on the split rims and whatnot.

I was talking about for one piece car wheels. I have a friend that runs a tire business geared toward amateur racers. He says the starter fluid method is the only way to go.

He charges extra for this. lol

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figured it was to get a "style." I just don't get it. Question raised by a YouTube video of said wheels being mounted on a Honda NSX. On top of it, they were a 35 sidewall. Looked like a rubber band on a set of expensive rims (TE-37 if you care).
Anyway, looked stupid as hell. And thank you all for the info. I didn't think there could be a legitimate reason behind it.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post