SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vancouver officers free to smoke pot, so long as they arrive ‘fit for duty,’ police board says.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vancouver officers free to smoke pot, so long as they arrive ‘fit for duty,’ police board says. Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Well then don't be around them.... this whole politically correct anti smoking thing gripes me, and I don't even smoke.

As for the cops in Canada smoking pot... my only thought on the whole thing is this testing for drugs is has always been a joke.... what we should be doing with most jobs like this, cop, fireman, pilot, bus driver is giving them random 'ability' test. See if they can function at their job and if they fail or come close to failing then test them to see why... drugs, alcohol or just plain not qualified....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, I object to them smoking it. I don't want anyone smoking anything around me! (I hate the smell.)

flashguy

There's always edibles...
Technology is amazing from what my friends tell me.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8343 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
what we should be doing with most jobs like this, cop, fireman, pilot, bus driver is giving them random 'ability' test. See if they can function at their job and if they fail or come close to failing then test them to see why... drugs, alcohol or just plain not qualified....

Yeah, I wonder if you have ever run up against an evaluator with an axe to grind, and which "abilities" will be tested (on that I am genuinely curious, since you floated the idea)?

Also, have you ever met a high functioning alcoholic or user who seems perfectly normal right up until the moment judgment or behavior goes right out the window? I have. They may be rarer than the normal sort, but they aren't unicorns.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If you've never handled a firearm before then don't lecture folks on how safe they are or aren't. Same thing goes for pot. If you've never tried it then you should feel pretty silly up there on your soap box screaming about reefer madness.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
We have this 'groundhog day' thread fairly often.How and why weed was ever classified in this country is a strange story. It sounds like Vancouver is trying to be reasonable.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As many of you know, I currently collect my paycheck being "Johhny Law". I've been playing that "cops & robbers" game for a little over 2 decades now.

I was around when one of the largest problems on my department was alcohol. There was one or two in every district that has some serious problems with the bottle. Oh, the stories I could tell...

On to the issue at hand; the smokin of the reefer. Personally, I have no problem with someone smoking (or eating) marijuana. I also have no problems with anyone drinking.

HOWEVER...

Do it in moderation! Don't let it affect work.

Knowing the reality of the world, I know that there's a few that will abuse it (alcohol and weed), some might screw up once or twice, some might be semi-consistent malcontents, others, total fuck-ups. The majority that partake will do it in moderation and act responsibly. I know the harms of both marijuana and booze, what they do to the body, family, paychecks... when they get abused. I also know first hand the violence that comes with weed. Not so much in the use/abuse, but in the sidewalk pharmaceutical sales aspect of it.

Sure, I know alcohol is legal, and accepted and marijuana is currently illegal (per the .gov and dependent upon the state) and somewhat shunned by some parts of society. Again, back to reality: Cops are just like everyone else! I can firmly attest that NONE of us came out of the womb wearing that badge. Just a cross section of society that found employment. I know this may be a shock to some, but if they think about it, I'm sure at some point, they'll figure it out.

That being said, here comes another shocker: Don't be fooled thinking that a whole mess of other people in a vast array of professions aren't smoking cannabis. Crane operators, attorneys, pilots, doctors, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. Most do it responsibly, some, not so much.

To summarize this babbling; no matter what your means of collecting your bread, you want to toke up, go right ahead! Just don't go one toke over that line and let it affect your personal and professional life.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8343 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
If you've never handled a firearm before then don't lecture folks on how safe they are or aren't. Same thing goes for pot. If you've never tried it then you should feel pretty silly up there on your soap box screaming about reefer madness.

These same people have no complaint about them using pain pills though.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
As many of you know, I currently collect my paycheck being "Johhny Law". I've been playing that "cops & robbers" game for a little over 2 decades now.

I was around when one of the largest problems on my department was alcohol. There was one or two in every district that has some serious problems with the bottle. Oh, the stories I could tell...

On to the issue at hand; the smokin of the reefer. Personally, I have no problem with someone smoking (or eating) marijuana. I also have no problems with anyone drinking.

HOWEVER...

Do it in moderation! Don't let it affect work.

Knowing the reality of the world, I know that there's a few that will abuse it (alcohol and weed), some might screw up once or twice, some might be semi-consistent malcontents, others, total fuck-ups. The majority that partake will do it in moderation and act responsibly. I know the harms of both marijuana and booze, what they do to the body, family, paychecks... when they get abused. I also know first hand the violence that comes with weed. Not so much in the use/abuse, but in the sidewalk pharmaceutical sales aspect of it.

Sure, I know alcohol is legal, and accepted and marijuana is currently illegal (per the .gov and dependent upon the state) and somewhat shunned by some parts of society. Again, back to reality: Cops are just like everyone else! I can firmly attest that NONE of us came out of the womb wearing that badge. Just a cross section of society that found employment. I know this may be a shock to some, but if they think about it, I'm sure at some point, they'll figure it out.

That being said, here comes another shocker: Don't be fooled thinking that a whole mess of other people in a vast array of professions aren't smoking cannabis. Crane operators, attorneys, pilots, doctors, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers. Most do it responsibly, some, not so much.

To summarize this babbling; no matter what your means of collecting your bread, you want to toke up, go right ahead! Just don't go one toke over that line and let it affect your personal and professional life.
I agree and that goes for every substance you put into your body including food.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
At some point after full legalization that's simply going to become as non-viable saying a zero BAC is required. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over time in Canada.

quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Given that MJ is now legal in Canada on a national level, why would the policy on MJ be different than the policy on Alcohol?

If MJ goes legal on the national level here, we're going to have the same issue.

There currently is no direct comparison of TCH vs impairment, unlike alcohol which has well-established correlations of BAC vs impairment. As a result, many industries are left with no easy means of setting "limits" of THC, and most official policies for safety-sensitive positions are that you must have zero THC in your system. For example, Air Canada has just told their pilots they are not allowed to consume MJ or its derivatives, much to the uproar of idiots everywhere. Until there is a standard similar to alcohol, most industries are going to play it safe and haze zero tolerance - they have an obligation to their customers, community, employees etc.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, there are a couple problems I see, and they are problems beyond my personal beliefs.

Let's imagine a police department in the US that has a similar policy where they allow off duty use of Marijuana.

Now, 4 days after using (long after the effects will not be felt or any influence on the officer) the officer gets involved in a deadly force shooting, and shoots a suspect (legally or illegally, as we have seen these days that doesn't really matter)

Now, one of the biggest demands, other than body cameras (and the absurd demands like mandatory descalation even in deadly force situations, or non lethal force used first even in deadly force situations) is that officers be drug/alcohol tested IMMEDIATELY after an incident.

So now the officer gets tested at the lab and since Marijuana can stay in the system for up to 30 days, he tests positive for it on the test. The test doesn't say if it was 1 hour ago, or 30 days ago, just positive.

The ambulance chaser defense lawyer for the family of the deceased finds this out. The prosecuting attorney (like Mosby in Baltimore who apparently waited for an opportunity to arrest and charge an officer) finds this out as well and EVEN IF they wanted to defend the officer.. they got a raw hand..

Now public opinion, especially those who were looking for a reason to burn the officer, is against him.

There is absolutely way for a fair trial... (and I'll goddamn make a promise that the vast majority of the legal pot crowd ain't gonna put up cash for a legal defense fund, or pro bono representation for that cop)

Even in legal and allowed by policy.... I woulnd't fall for that trap.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Exactly! Post-incident testing happens regardless of any symptoms of impairment, and since there is no legal correlation of THC vs impairment, any defence is going to be very weak.
And to the comment earlier about corporations just CYA with the zero tolerance policy - sure, of course there is a liability element involved, but the people I work with aren’t heartless; we care about our employees and the innocent people in the community - if we can’t protect them we have no right to operate.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
It really takes a TON of weed to really stay in your system. Most people aren’t smoking massive amounts. 1 or 2 hits does the trick for most people (basically like having a beer).

Hell, I just completed a hair follicle test for a job and it came back negative/passed.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am way off to the right on this issue. Those states that have legalized recreational use of marijuana will rue the day. It is not a harmless drug any more than alcohol is. It is a hallucinogen and it is addictive. The long term effects of chronic use can be devastating, the same as with alcohol. Yeah, it has been used by large segments of society for as long as I can remember, though not tolerated in critical jobs like police, fire, pilots, CDL drivers, etc. But the thing that concerns me most is what we are teaching our children and grandchildren with permissiveness. Alcohol is bad enough, what we didn't need is another culturally normalized addictive drug.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I agree and that goes for every substance you put into your body including food.

Sorry. I was eating a Milky Way.?...

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post