SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vancouver officers free to smoke pot, so long as they arrive ‘fit for duty,’ police board says.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vancouver officers free to smoke pot, so long as they arrive ‘fit for duty,’ police board says. Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
What's proposed: Get high on your own time, but when you show up for duty, you best be straight.

What everyone hears: The shotguns in their cruisers will be replaced with giant bongs, so they can toke up while writing tickets!

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I don't think it's a good idea. Lawmen have a dangerous & difficult job as it is without weed in the equation. Handling a weapon,high speed pursuit, chasing criminals is dangerous enough straight up sober.

That's why the "fit for work" requirement is in there. I suspect high speed pursuit, weapons handling and chasing anyone would be just as difficult, drunk.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
What everyone hears: The shotguns in their cruisers will be replaced with giant bongs, so they can toke up while writing tickets!

I've never built a shotgun bong, but ya know, I could. In fact, it sounds pretty cool. Gives a whole new meaning to "suck starting the shotgun".

"The new Remington Emulsifier! When you hit it, it hits you like a million tiny pellets! WWWHHHHHUUUUUPPPPP...hup...hup...hup...BOOOOOMMMMM... "

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
This is going to play well during a trial following a police-involved shooting.

Those who advocate unlimited use of marajuana: do you feel the same about your pilot using? Your surgeon?

I have no problem with that at all as long as they know their limits. I’m trusting them to not show up drunk as well.

I doubt a professional would jeopardize their job either way. I myself am a professional and partake whenever I can. Somehow, my life has not fallen apart and I haven’t starting raping everyone due to my reefer madness.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

I've never built a shotgun bong, but ya know, I could. In fact, it sounds pretty cool. Gives a whole new meaning to "suck starting the shotgun".

"The new Remington Emulsifier! When you hit it, it hits you like a million tiny pellets! WWWHHHHHUUUUUPPPPP...hup...hup...hup...BOOOOOMMMMM... "

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Vancouver police will soon be record holders in the "Cat Game".

All right meow. Hand over your license and registration.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
The shotguns in their cruisers will be replaced with giant bongs, so they can toke up while writing tickets!

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How will they know if they are "ready to work and in a condition to do so"?

Not busting your balls here, I'm just curious if they've developed some means of testing it.

If they arrive at work with a doggie bag from Whattaburger with enough food for six and eat it all themselves.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not conclusively high. Could just be fat.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What's allowed by Vancouver Canada PD policy and what's wise aren't necessarily the same thing.

We've already seen the difference here in Oregon, where pot is legal. The theoretical problem I can see with the comparison between pot and alcohol is that alcohol does not stay in one's system as long as pot does. I.e. in Oregon, if you get pulled over and blow a .08 or above, into the breathlizer, you are presumptively guilty by statute. It's a big fat bright line test and you are going to come down on one side or the other. If you are weaving and cross the fog line in 12 times over course of 1 mile, but you blow a .06, the prosecutor can still get you for DUI, but he/she has to prove you were demonstrably under the influence.

There's no test/standard-with-numbers for MJ, but MJ is persistent. The medical test will show a presence long after the drug's influence has dissipated. But if you're an officer involved in a questionable shooting or use-of-force, do you want the blood test to show any MJ at all? "I know the tests show positive, but I only shot the guy on Thursday: I had my last blunt on Tuesday." That doesn't sound so good. I think it's a variable most LEOs wouldn't want to have to juggle at trial (much less their trial attorneys).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
What's proposed: Get high on your own time, but when you show up for duty, you best be straight.

So true.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Given that MJ is now legal in Canada on a national level, why would the policy on MJ be different than the policy on Alcohol?

If MJ goes legal on the national level here, we're going to have the same issue.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Given that MJ is now legal in Canada on a national level, why would the policy on MJ be different than the policy on Alcohol?

If MJ goes legal on the national level here, we're going to have the same issue.

There currently is no direct comparison of TCH vs impairment, unlike alcohol which has well-established correlations of BAC vs impairment. As a result, many industries are left with no easy means of setting "limits" of THC, and most official policies for safety-sensitive positions are that you must have zero THC in your system. For example, Air Canada has just told their pilots they are not allowed to consume MJ or its derivatives, much to the uproar of idiots everywhere. Until there is a standard similar to alcohol, most industries are going to play it safe and have zero tolerance - they have an obligation to their customers, community, employees etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Surefire,

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
How will they know if they are "ready to work and in a condition to do so"?...

Since THC can affect judgment for up to 24 hours after smoking, anyone smoking the night before they are reporting for duty will be at risk of having impaired judgment on the job.

On the plus side, Canadians are so laid back, no one may ever notice.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Until there is a standard similar to alchohol, most industries are going to play it safe and have zero tolerance - they have (haze?) an obligation to their customers, community, employees etc.

Or at least avoiding liability - which is what "standards" tend to actually be used for. For things that matter to PD, hospital, airlines, etc., they'll very quickly work out some functional standard and not worry about the "standard" until it's time to fill in the paperwork.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There currently is no direct comparison of TCH vs impairment, unlike alcohol which has well-established correlations of BAC vs impairment. As a result, many industries are left with no easy means of setting "limits" of THC, and most official policies for safety-sensitive positions are that you must have zero THC in your system. For example, Air Canada has just told their pilots they are not allowed to consume MJ or its derivatives, much to the uproar of idiots everywhere. Until there is a standard similar to alcohol, most industries are going to play it safe and haze zero tolerance - they have an obligation to their customers, community, employees etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Great, let Canada try out this policy first. We can learn from their mistakes. The first two hours after smoking marijuana is the time you are going to see the most impairment. What we do NOT have at present is a good test for measuring the degree of impairment as we do with alcohol. Every state has its BAC cutoff.

Another concern is the large number of people who drive under the influence of opiates. The thousands of Americans motoring around while on prescription opiates are a hazard to those not simiarly impaired.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This is the sort of thing that inevitably gets sorted out in various legislatures—at least for a while. If I live another 50 years (very unlikely, fortunately, but not impossible), I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see things swing back to the other extreme. What will be the public reaction the first time a pilot or operator who commits a serious error that kills a few hundred people is found to have legally-consumed THC in his system? What when a police officer kills someone he shouldn’t have?

All the arguments about whether they were actually impaired will be pretty much ignored, and demands for reform will increase as the number of incidents increase. Any gun owner who pays the slightest attention to the efforts to infringe on our rights should understand that hard reason and logic is not something that has much effect on such efforts.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Those who advocate unlimited use of marajuana: do you feel the same about your pilot using? Your surgeon?

I only advocate it in terms of how alcohol and tobacco are legal for adults.

I'm simply a realist and know that it's been there all along, in every walk of life. The vast majority of adults I've met in my 40+ years who enjoy weed are so unbelievably far from stoner stereotypes that I sometimes forget how popular those stereotypes are.

The likelihood my surgeon is high when working is no more than the odds he's drunk, and I don't run around worrying about that either. It's a non issue, truly. An irrational fear, with no data to back it up. It happens to everyone. I'm irrationally afraid of snakes...

But weed? I'd rather have a surgeon high on weed than going through a rough divorce or who just had a fight with their estranged kid or after too many cups of Coffee following an all-nighter.

Obviously I'd rather they were well rested and sober in every way, but all things considered... weed doesn't even rank in the top several. It's already here and everywhere. Literally everywhere. In fucking jail even. Just this month the country of Jamaica shipped a shitload of Medical weed to Canada, legally, as a form of legit International Trade. Billionaires are investing in pot companies.

Sure, it'll be slow getting to Mississippi, etc, but it's coming, and here already, really. Let's just quit pretending it's not. Let's quit giving money to criminals and make it ourselves. Let's quit screwing with people for smoking a plant hardly different from tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine. It's been an absurd joke all along, the way it's been handled. Lives have been ruined (not me or anyone I know), and it was never warranted nor necessary. Real tragedy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
hey, doesn't it seem like we have a weed thread once a month, and the same people come out of the woodwork and take the same side each time?

I don't even need to read ASG's or 46and2's threads any more and they don't even need to read mine Smile

Wait, this is page 2. It's my cue to state that it's really not legal anyplace in the USA per federal law, and I'll get a response that those laws are dumb and / or those laws will change in the future.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I object to them smoking it. I don't want anyone smoking anything around me! (I hate the smell.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post