SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why The Santa Fe Shooting Disappeared From Headlines So Quickly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why The Santa Fe Shooting Disappeared From Headlines So Quickly Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you don't believe that the media is in full control of the liberal left, this is another piece of evidence for you.

There is no news anymore, it is just propaganda.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
See, I'm surprised the media didn't spin this story to stir up a push for all guns being banned, not just the scary black assault rifles.

I wasn’t surprised in the least. If there’s anything I believe that the gun-grabbers have learned is to limit the extent of any particular goal. That became obvious to me decades ago before AR-type rifles were even available and the antigun targets du jour were so-called “Saturday Night Specials.” They were described as inexpensive, low quality, easily-concealed revolvers that were supposed to be the weapons of choice for the armed criminal. Serious efforts were made to ban handguns of a certain size, but either through ignorance or design it included models like S&W K-frame revolvers with 8 3/8 inch barrels. The NRA ran ads with full-sized depictions of the guns (and their prices) that ridiculed their inclusion in the ban attempts.

Despite the failure of the domestic bans the effort did nevertheless result in the ATF’s rulings (no legislation required) that limited many high quality imported guns. It wasn’t an unqualified success for the gun-grabbers, but I’m sure they looked at it as a better than nothing victory.

Today the targets are AR-type rifles, but that’s nothing new, and it has been partially successful. There was the “AWB” of 1994, and of course they are restricted or illegal in many individual cities and states. We can expect, therefore, that it will continue. Specific targets also include magazines and ammunition, both of which have had their successes.

And why is targeting specific guns a successful tactic? Because all too many gun owners are stunningly clueless about the process and ultimate goals. All someone has to do is say, “We’re not after all guns, just …,” and most people who don’t own that specific firearm think, “Whew! I’m safe, and don’t care about anyone else.” We saw a little of that right here not long ago in discussions about “bump stocks”: “I don’t want one, so go ahead and ban them.”

When AR-type rifles and others in that general category are ultimately legislated out of private ownership by various means, then something else will be targeted. That’s exactly what has happened in other countries, and will happen here because many gun owners believe that if they offer the sharks their feet, they’ll be satisfied with that and stop eating at that point.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I wasn’t surprised in the least. If there’s anything I believe that the gun-grabbers have learned is to limit the extent of any particular goal. That became obvious to me decades ago before AR-type rifles were even available and the antigun targets du jour were so-called “Saturday Night Specials.” They were described as inexpensive, low quality, easily-concealed revolvers that were supposed to be the weapons of choice for the armed criminal.

Great memory and analysis. I remember the outcome was poor people didn't have an affordable way to arm themselves.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The difference in coverage of this shooting is all about the weapons used. It doesn't fit the anti- narrative or the agenda, and pushing this one could have even back-fired on them because it would risk losing the "pro-gun" Fudds, who they think can be convinced to support "common-sense" gun laws. Start talking about banning revolvers and pump shotguns and they might even lose Joe Biden.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
The other story that disappeared even quicker was the one about the armed school resource officer, who prevented mass casualties by confronting and shooting the would-be shooter. It supported the good guy with a gun stopping the bad guy with a gun theory. Can't have that.

That was in Dixon IL, about an hour northeast of me. Here's the latest article, focusing on Mom and the gun:

http://www.saukvalley.com/2018...torney-says/ajqte4w/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
And unless and until liberals acknowledge such, they will never solve the problem. (But I am not sure liberals really want to solve the problem, they want to use the problem to justify serving themselves).

The very worst thing that could happen with regard to the Left's agenda to abolish the 2nd amendment would be for school shootings to stop.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
The DON'T CARE about the students that are killed.

It's that simple.

They DO CARE about banning 'assault rifles'.

No other suggested methodology that would actually work is acceptable.

It's all too transparent.

Disarmament is the goal.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
The difference in coverage of this shooting is all about the weapons used.

It also has to do with where this happened. This area ain't filled with privileged, liberal, easily influenced ignoramuses like those in Parkland. The people and kids in Santa Fe basically told the media to go pound sand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
But the dork I work with said, "I still don't think people should own assault rifles."
Idiots tried to ban assault rifles after the Boston Marathon bombing cuz you know "we have to do something"

I actually have seen some op-ed pieces in NYT/Wa Po stating we should still push for an AR/AWB because while it wouldn't have made a difference, it's still "something"

cc

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccmdfd:
I actually have seen some op-ed pieces in NYT/Wa Po stating we should still push for an AR/AWB because while it wouldn't have made a difference, it's still "something"

Oh, there’s nothing wrong with using any gun incident to target ARs regardless of how much relevance they have to each other. What surprises me is we don’t see the same calls for ARs to be banned after a knife or vehicle attack, but perhaps there are limits to how stupid they believe the public is. But they can continue the anti-AR drumbeat even if the guns were a revolver and shotgun because going after the ARs won’t upset the revolver and shotgun owners.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post