SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why The Santa Fe Shooting Disappeared From Headlines So Quickly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why The Santa Fe Shooting Disappeared From Headlines So Quickly Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Why The Santa Fe Shooting Disappeared From Headlines So Quickly
Rod Thomson

Something strange happened within a few days of the mass shooting at Santa Fe High School that killed 10 people and injured 14 others.

The story virtually disappeared from the news cycle. This is quite a remarkable change from the weeks of non-stop media coverage after the Parkland, Florida shooting that resulted in huge protests around the country and bad legislation in Florida.

First, there are a lot of similarities in the two atrocities. The killer in both instances was a mentally disturbed, bullied teenage boy who had shown warning signs. However, it is well-documented that in Parkland, law enforcement and school officials (government) missed or purposely overlooked dozens of red flags regarding the killer that could have prevented the killings.

Seventeen people were killed in Parkland. Ten were killed in Santa Fe. Both are located in conservative states with strong Second Amendment protections, although Texas is more conservative. Both have happened during a time of rampant but factually ill-founded fears of school shootings, and a media that has an anti-gun agenda it pushes shamelessly — including the use of grieving teenage survivors.

So what are the differences? Three stand out .

One, the gun that the Parkland killer used was an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle. It is what the media insists on calling an “assault weapon,” without ever really explaining or describing what is meant by the term. It’s scary looking and appears similar to military assault weapons. But it is the same as any semi-automatic rifle or pistol. One shot per trigger pull.

In Santa Fe, the killer used a .38-caliber revolver and a shotgun — not the infamous “assault rifles.” There is very little support among Americans for banning revolvers or shotguns. So that was one big difference.

The second is that the Parkland killer was never stopped. Officers stayed outside and did nothing while he continued to massacre people. He just finally quit murdering and walked away from his school slaughter, later being arrested at a fast food restaurant.

In Santa Fe, men with guns stopped the killer. The teen was cornered in a room by armed school security until more police arrived and he surrendered.

A final difference is in the community and the students. Parkland is in the heavily urbanized, liberal, anti-gun corridor of Southeast Florida, from Miami through Fort Lauderdale to West Palm. The students there reflect that urbanized sense of guns as frightening, and really do not seem to grasp the purpose of the Second Amendment. They came out very strong for gun laws and the media ate it up and national, liberal organizations quickly organized them.

Santa Fe is a semi-rural area of Southern Texas between Houston and Galveston. The people there see guns as part of the culture and have a more ingrained understanding of why there is a Second Amendment. For instance, almost no Santa Fe students participated in the national school walkout in March.

Here is Alex Carvey, 16, a student at Santa Fe High School:

“I don’t think guns are the problem — I think people are the problem,” she said. “Even if we did more gun laws, people who are sick enough to do something like this are still going to figure out a way to do it. So it doesn’t matter.”

So the differences in coverage seem to be based at least somewhat on how it plays into the media narrative of blaming the NRA and gun owners and pushing for more gun control laws. Parkland — despite the myriad failures of government along the way, plays nicely into that narrative.

Santa Fe doesn’t really fit narrative.

https://therevolutionaryact.co...g-disappear-quickly/

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Excellent analysis.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Santa Fe, the killer used a .38-caliber revolver and a shotgun — not the infamous “assault rifles.”

And not even a semi-auto shotgun, but a pump. Yeah, I noticed right away how quiet the MSM was about Santa Fe. The lack of an AR-15 just doesn't support their agenda.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My mom (a huge anti-gun mom) was asking me this very question Monday night. When I said because he didn't use an AR and it doesn't fit the agenda, she just rolled her eyes, and mumbled about all guns needing to be banned.

There is no discussion with liberals

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The article makes a great point. If the students could be leveraged, the media would have wrung out every publicity they could.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
The article makes a great point. If the students could be leveraged, the media would have wrung out every publicity they could.

Don’t think they weren’t offered the temptations.... media, t-shirts, posters, plane trips, fawning, fame, fortune....

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the students could be leveraged, the media would have wrung out every publicity they could.

That's it in a nutshell IMO.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
At 16 years of age, Alex Carvey already has it figured out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
But the dork I work with said, "I still don't think people should own assault rifles."

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . .“I don’t think guns are the problem — I think people are the problem,” she said. “Even if we did more gun laws, people who are sick enough to do something like this are still going to figure out a way to do it. So it doesn’t matter.” . . .

And unless and until liberals acknowledge such, they will never solve the problem. (But I am not sure liberals really want to solve the problem, they want to use the problem to justify serving themselves).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
But the dork I work with said, "I still don't think people should own assault rifles."
Idiots tried to ban assault rifles after the Boston Marathon bombing cuz you know "we have to do something"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Whatever the reason for non-coverage, the end result and example are positive. I actually heard this recomendation on FNC - eliminate the publicity. Eliminate the Facebook fame. Remove all traces of the shooter's name - no photos, no comments, no interviews of friends and family about what a quiet boy he was. Any budding copycat will not see a headline. Bury the news on the second page - madman kills x at school x - now today's weather. A significant part of the motivation of these proto-brain murderers is to see their name in lights, just like that other guy. Now I'll be famous. I'm somebody. Then maybe they'll just go off themselves in their retarded universe, and not trouble the rest of us....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
My mom (a huge anti-gun mom) was asking me this very question Monday night. When I said because he didn't use an AR and it doesn't fit the agenda, she just rolled her eyes, and mumbled about all guns needing to be banned.

There is no discussion with liberals

See, I'm surprised the media didn't spin this story to stir up a push for all guns being banned, not just the scary black assault rifles.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:

See, I'm surprised the media didn't spin this story to stir up a push for all guns being banned, not just the scary black assault rifles.

That would expose the true agenda. They know they can't win that battle yet so they stick with sensational incrementalism...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I very rarely hear Rush, but today he was all over this.....same thoughts.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:

Great minds think alike. I was thinking this same thing.

I also was wondering the other day...so where is that little pussy Hoggwart and his band of merry idiots and imbeciles in all this? I'll tell you...that little pissant knows he'd get railroaded straight outta town if he showed his face and started spewing his pussified liberal agenda. Texans take care of their own! Plain and simple...

GOD BLESS TEXAS AND GOD BLESS SANTA FE!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The leftist couldn't capitalize on this so it flamed out...The parkland crowd tried to rally them and they didn't't bite.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other story that disappeared even quicker was the one about the armed school resource officer, who prevented mass casualties by confronting and shooting the would-be shooter. It supported the good guy with a gun stopping the bad guy with a gun theory. Can't have that.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, no AR-15. I had a talk with some anti-gunners who said that hunters even think AR-15 no one needs. I replied 'I can't wait for some idiot to use a shotgun in a mass shooting. Let's hear the hunters then.'

God must have heard me, because......

No hearing on banning shotguns, yet. Shot gun is an excellent weapons choice for mass casualties. I think there have been several debates here that shot guns are better home defense systems than hand guns.

There is a reason shotguns are not allowed in war. It is interesting. Old law, considering hand grenades and cluster munitions of today.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
It is in fact disgusting. They do not place the same value on lives lost with a .38 revolver as those taken with an AR, because it does not fit their agenda.

I hope others see this for what it is, absolutely disgusting!!!!! Mad

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post