SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We think it may be time! Any suggestions on a Lab Rescue?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We think it may be time! Any suggestions on a Lab Rescue? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
September will mark 2 years since we lost Lilli. With a 2 year old and a new baby we figured we would wait a little bit for another pup.
Now the 2 oldest are 4 and 3 they can actually help by feeding and making sure the water bowl is full.
We’re looking for a 2 year old or younger female Chocolate, yellow, or silver (some claim aren’t “real labs” don’t care about that nonsense). Wife’s last two labs were black so she doesn’t really want another black lab but if the right one were to be a black lab I don’t think it would be a deal killer.
House trained and crate trained would be a huge plus.
Wife is home 4 days a week I am home 3 (but rotate days) so for 6 months a year someone is home everyday and the days someone is not I usually make it home for lunch anyway.
I know it would be a big adjustment for us but more so the dog getting dropped into a family with 3 wild boys under 5.
We do almost nightly walks/bike rides, have a Nice fenced in yard and we go to the in laws pretty much each weekend and they have acreage so lots of play time for sure.

Anyone have any suggestions on reputable places to look?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
https://www.facebook.com/LuckyLabsRescue/

Have you used them or know anyone that has?

Their region groping are strange.
Many of the dogs (2 in particular that look good for us) are set for the Texas and New England region. Not sure how they group those 2 together.

https://www.luckylabrescue.com/adopt#/jasmine-txne/

https://www.luckylabrescue.com.../puppy-cyndi-txne-1/

We would fall under the Midwest region.

————————————————

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We vetted them a couple of years ago at the store before we donated to them.

Their regional thing is strange but that is due to where the founders live. I’m pretty sure they transport all over the place.

They seem to be more region specific with Fosters, which makes sense.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Maybe If I am willing to transport region won’t matter.

Glad to hear they passed your vetting I will shoot them an email.

————————————————

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
If you find a pup in my area I’d be happy to help with transport. I am in Western NC but can go as far as Charlotte to pick up.

posted Hide Post
We have a program in Arkansas called "paws in prison", it takes young unwanted pound dogs, puts them with an inmate for 6 plus months and you get a well trained well behaved dog that is very thankful. You can review the dogs available on line and see the size/breed that you want. I am done with pure breed dogs, I am a mutt kind of guy. We got one of these dogs last month and he has been great.

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have always had labs and love the breed and their personality. I recommend you consider a young pup with the age of your children. Florida lab rescue for example will not adopt out to a family with children under 7. A lot of rescue dogs have been in bad circumstances which makes them unsuitable for small kids. Check out U.K. labs, they tend to be really easy going with small kids as a bred in characteristic.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
We have always had labs and love the breed and their personality. I recommend you consider a young pup with the age of your children. Florida lab rescue for example will not adopt out to a family with children under 7. A lot of rescue dogs have been in bad circumstances which makes them unsuitable for small kids. Check out U.K. labs, they tend to be really easy going with small kids as a bred in characteristic.

My wife wants a puppy. I want a puppy as well, kind of.

My last puppy developed EPI at a very young age. You've been around awhile you may remember numerous posts about her.
I took the best possible care of her for 11 years to an added tune of somewhere close to $40,000 outside of normal care and expenses.
So I am weary of a pup and wouldn't mind one a couple years old.

But also a dog that is house broken and crate trained already would make the transition much easier.

A puppy is not off the table.

————————————————

E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Check out U.K. labs, they tend to be really easy going with small kids as a bred in characteristic.

We have a 2 1/2 y/o British-breed Lab that is a joy. "Boomer" is our fourth Lab, and I concur that the UK lines are much more laid back and just have an easy-going attitude. Very confident, but still gentle with our 18-month old grand-daughter.

Our prior three Labs were of very good American breed lineage, but were much more high energy. I believe this comes from the Hunt Test and Field Trial games.

Good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post