SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tell Me About HD Radio
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell Me About HD Radio Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Was thinking about putting in a HD Radio head unit in my car, I've discovered some very cool channels that my local Indie music radio station plays via streaming that they also broadcast via HD Radio.

Is this worth doing? I'm reading some very conflicting info about it, that it's been a flop and basically streaming radio killed it? I like the idea of not burning up my data plan to listen to the same music and better quality audio talk radio (AM). Does anyone here have a HD Radio receiver?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I love HD radio! Both head sets in my two vehicles are equipped with it. I live in a metropolitan area, though, and I don't know how well they would work in a more rural area.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
I love HD radio! Both head sets in my two vehicles are equipped with it. I live in a metropolitan area, though, and I don't know how well they would work in a more rural area.

Not an issue with me, I live in the Philadelphia metro region.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally upgraded my head unit to an HD Radio. I love it! Most classic rock stations put modern rock on the HD channels and the modern rock stations put 90's music on theirs. 102.9 puts 50's music on their hd station. I live too far away to get MMR's hd channels most days, but they have 2 hd channels. One is all live music and the other I don't remember what it is. Best of all...it's free! My favorite 4 letter "F" word

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Angus' car has HD and XM radio. My casual observations:

I really like HD programming. Most stations in Houston have 3 HD channels per frequency. Good variety of music.

I think HD radio sounds better than XM radio.

The range of the HD stations seems less than the regular analog stations.

The HD radio shows album art. XM does not.

I like HD radio.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
What makes it HD?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
HD sounds better than regular FM. I have it in my car. I listen to several stations' HD channels and like them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
HD sounds better than regular FM. I have it in my car. I listen to several stations' HD channels and like them.

I figured that much Wink ... anyone know the technical details off hand? Otherwise I can just google it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I figured that much Wink ... anyone know the technical details off hand? Otherwise I can just google it.

It's a digital signal, like HD OTA TV, they can provide multiple channels for one station.

The "HD" is pure marketing though and doesn't really mean "high definition" radio like people assume.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The new van has HD Radio but I have not really gotten to fool with it yet.
Guess I need to figure out the extra stations.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The HD is supposed to be more of a CD quality sound. Though like HD television, there is no static. It is either sound or nothing.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
We have a portable HD radio. The one channel we listen to makes it worth it.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

What is "Indie"? [honestly]

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I love listening to commercials and goofy DJs in HD!

Not.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Independent music, non-commercial, i.e. not crap.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
The HD is supposed to be more of a CD quality sound. Though like HD television, there is no static. It is either sound or nothing.

This is true with stations that broadcast in HD only. The vast majority of HD stations also broadcast in non-HD, so if your head set can't bring in the HD signal, it will settle for the non-HD signal.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It's a digital signal, like HD OTA TV, they can provide multiple channels for one station.

The "HD" is pure marketing though and doesn't really mean "high definition" radio like people assume.

I'm not certain what HD actually means, but when I listen to a station in HD, the signal sounds much clearer than when I tune it in without HD. It's like the difference between a cassette tape and a CD.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Go here for more info, including which stations in your area are broadcasting in HD:

https://hdradio.com

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Independent music, non-commercial, i.e. not crap.

Ohhh there is plenty of indie crap out there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:

I have no commment on HD radio, but this is not correct. My SiriusXM radio absolutely shows cover art or whatever graphic the station broadcasts (if a non-music channel).

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:

I have no commment on HD radio, but this is not correct. My SiriusXM radio absolutely shows cover art or whatever graphic the station broadcasts (if a non-music channel).

-Rob

You are correct. My XM radio in the garage has graphics but Mrs. Angus' car does not. I reckon it depends on the radio and/or car installation.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post