SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Former Taliban captive Joshua Boyle arrested and charged with sexual assault, death threats"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Former Taliban captive Joshua Boyle arrested and charged with sexual assault, death threats" Login/Join 
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.5f431cca9929

Former Taliban captive Joshua Boyle arrested and charged with sexual assault, death threats

By Alan Freeman January 2 at 9:08 PM

OTTAWA — Joshua Boyle, the Canadian man who was freed after five years in Taliban captivity in October, has been arrested and charged with 15 criminal offenses, including sexual assault, uttering death threats and misleading police — all of which allegedly occurred after he returned to Canada with his family.

According to multiple Canadian media outlets, the 34-year-old Boyle first appeared in court on New Year’s Day in Ottawa and will remain in custody at least until a hearing Wednesday. All of the offenses are alleged to have taken place in Ottawa between Oct. 14, shortly after the family’s arrival back in Canada, and Dec. 30. A court order prevents publication of any information that would identify any victims or witnesses. Among the charges is causing an unidentified person to ingest “a noxious thing, namely Trazodone,” an antidepressant drug.

It’s the latest twist in the strange story of Boyle, the son of a Canadian tax-court judge, who was abducted by the Taliban-linked Haqqani network along with his pregnant American wife, Caitlan Coleman, while they were backpacking in the Afghan province of Wardak in 2012. The couple spent the next five years as hostages, during which Coleman gave birth to three children.

The Boyles were set free in Pakistan in October 2017 and flown back to Canada, but the family almost immediately showed signs of stress. A week after their arrival, Coleman was rushed to the hospital with an unspecified ailment. A statement issued at the time, purportedly by Boyle’s family, said the couple was “deeply traumatized and Josh is not of clear thought as he speaks at times.”

In a statement to the Toronto Star on Tuesday following Boyle’s arrest, Coleman declined to comment on the charges but said that “ultimately it is the strain and trauma he was forced to endure for so many years and the effects that had on his mental state that is most culpable for this.” Eric Granger, Boyle’s defense lawyer, told the Star that his client had never been in trouble with the law before, describing him as “a young man who we all know has been through a lot.”

Interviewed after the family’s liberation in October, Coleman’s father, Jim, expressed anger with his son-in-law. Jim Coleman, who lives in Stewartstown, Pa., told ABC News that “taking your pregnant wife to a very dangerous place, to me and the kind of person I am, is unconscionable.” Coleman’s parents were reportedly in Ottawa with their daughter on Monday.

It has always been unclear what Boyle and his wife were doing in Afghanistan. In one interview, Boyle said that he and Coleman had decided to travel there “to fix things.” Although he once described himself to a friend as “a hippie, Mennonite love child,” Boyle had long been fascinated by radical Islam and was married for a time to Zaynab Khadr, an elder sister of Omar Khadr, the Pakistani-Canadian who as a 15-year-old was arrested and charged with killing an American soldier in Afghanistan.

Omar Khadr pleaded guilty to the killing but then recanted, claiming his confession had been coerced. He spent 10 years at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay before being returned to Canada in 2012. Khadr sued the Canadian government for breaching his constitutional rights and was recently awarded a settlement of 10.5 million Canadian dollars ($8.4 million) and a government apology.

The Boyles were last in the news just before Christmas, when a photo appeared on Twitter of the family visiting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at his parliamentary office. There was no comment from Trudeau’s office following Boyle’s arrest.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Can Canada send him back?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taliban captive........uh huh.

Must be some harsh conditions in captivity when you're allowed conjugal visits with your wife. Also, who in the F'n hell would even consider bringing a child (or 3) into a "captive" environment. This guy is full of it.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although he once described himself to a friend as “a hippie, Mennonite love child,” Boyle had long been fascinated by radical Islam and was married for a time to Zaynab Khadr, an elder sister of Omar Khadr, the Pakistani-Canadian who as a 15-year-old was arrested and charged with killing an American soldier in Afghanistan.

Mad

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he was too much for the Taliban to deal with, so they gave him back.

He seems to be a complete dwong, and not worth an aphid fart.

tac

Posts: 11316 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
quote:
Although he once described himself to a friend as “a hippie, Mennonite love child,” Boyle had long been fascinated by radical Islam and was married for a time to Zaynab Khadr, an elder sister of Omar Khadr, the Pakistani-Canadian who as a 15-year-old was arrested and charged with killing an American soldier in Afghanistan.

Mad

While I had seen both stories in passing, I didn't realize the connection until now. Fuck people like this and anyone who supports them.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No way that guy was a Taliban "captive".
Who takes their pregnant wife "hiking" in Afghanistan ?
LOL! I guess journalists these days just can't really call BS on some of this crap.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3 kids while in "captivity"? Yeah, ok....
Ponder this: Which is more screwed up, the Khadr saga or the Bergdahl saga?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Khadr's story / situation in captivity is more fucked up, but Bergdahl's release / post captivity takes it for that portion of the story.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The account of his fathering children while prisoner I heard came from his wife.

It was nothing more nor less than them being forced to have sex to produce children.

As for taking her into that part of the world, well people do really, really dumb things.

I suspect there is no small measure of mental illness involved. I know I'd likely be nuttier than a Baby Ruth after five years in the hands of the Taliban.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Either one alone, would be a travesty. Two together make this criminally insane.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, he wanted to live his life as the scum in Afgan. did. Send him back.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somehow I'm not surprised.

This guy was sympathetic to the Taliban, drags his wife to Afghanistan, things don't go quite like he thought they would but, he remains sympathetic to his captors. Much like Jihad Johnny, it ain't all about being a hardcore religious zealot...they're a criminal enterprise operation!

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Was this the guy who was "rescued" by Paki security forces and then was refusing to board a plane back to the west for fear of being charged with some type of collusion with the enemy? Or am I confusing him with a different collaborator?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well that didn't take long...

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post