SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1st time donating blood
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st time donating blood Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I used to donate several times a year, but in the 1980s I started having to take enough medications that the blood banks didn't really want my blood any more, so I stopped. I'd donated about 3 gallons by that time, so when I needed some in 1989 (motorcycle accident) I was in good status.

I'm not fond of needles, so I always looked away when the put the needle in. After that I was OK. Never really had any serious effects afterward--ate the crackers and peanut butter and drank the orange juice and rested the 10 minutes they insisted upon. Never fainted.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I believe I will hit the 8-gallon mark at my scheduled appointment in March. I’ve done platelets twice but only get one day off off work per week so I find it hard to commit ~3 hours of my day and not be able to do anything strenuous the rest of it.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information and the thumbs up's. Great to see how many of you do donate. This will become a regular thing for me, dont know why I waited so long. But never too late to start.

It's always good when you kids are better then you are and push you to be better!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My favorite time was in college, circa mid-80s as the AIDS scare was in full force.

One of the questions was along the lines of have you had unprotected sex with a man in the past 3 or 6 months. I paused, looked up at the ceiling as I was counting off on my fingers, then declared "NOPE!"

The poor lady didn't know what to do with that. My soon-to-be wife was sitting next to me, telling her to just ignore me.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
I donate double reds twice a year. The only time I felt a negative effect was last month. I donated Friday morning at around 10:00 AM. At 8:00 PM I felt exhausted to the point that I could not keep my eyes open. Went to bed at 8:30 and woke up at 9:00 AM the next morning! I slept over a 12 hr shift!

Felt fine the next day.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
31 times here (and counting). It gets easier every time.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I am O negative and CMV negative. They put a special tag on my blood called BABY BLOOD. I stopped going shortly after receiving my 5 gallon pin with Bonfills Blood Center. The centers have removed the receptionists who took care of all of the paperwork. Now the phlebologist have to take care of the check-in and the blood draw. I used to be able to get in and out in about 30 minutes. It now takes an hour.

I don't have that much time to devote to them, so i no longer go. If they don't respect my time, I don't respect them.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Well past the 10 gallon mark. Like an oil change for the body.

Great job, Tom! I'm hoping (planning) to hit 10 gallons this fall. Currently three units to go.

For those donating through the American Red Cross and who have a smart phone, check out their blood donor app for your phone. I resisted for a while but finally signed up for it and am actually glad I did.

The app allows you to schedule an appointment, do the RapidPass to get through the paperwork faster on the the day of donation, and keeps up with your donation history (overall number and detailed history for the most recent 30 donations).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I've only donated 'double' or 'power red' the past 3 or 4 years and I feel fine afterward. I prefer it to donating whole blood. It takes longer but I go fewer times per year. I'm O positive, the Red Cross constantly calls me. No matter what type of donation I wouldn't exercise or do anything strenuous at all the day of the donation or the next day if the donation is in the afternoon.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Bloodwork this afternoon. Needles give me the creeps. My wife is a multi gallon donor. She challenges me to give. I cannot do it.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I did the double red blood cells for the first time earlier this month (I've always just given whole blood every 9 weeks or so)...I thought it was pretty interesting to watch red whole blood go into the machine to be separated and bagged, then watch the straw colored plasma return into my arm through the same line as the donation repeatedly cycled through...I felt no ill effects. It just took longer and I have to wait 4 months to give again.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Good for you. I used to donate, but I developed high BP, so they would send me away. BP is under control with meds now, but I never went back. Now I have low heart output since my heart attack almost a year ago. I have to pass on donating. I was a universal donor type, O+.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder, time for me to do the same.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
i was so scared the first time, i was for my father in law... i don't exercise much so getting a vein was tricky at first...but after some forearm exercise everything went well no issue and i have no issue seeing blood. was kinda cool seeing my blood.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Sadly, they won’t take mine due to extensive travels to USAF bases in Europe during the 80s and 90s. Frown

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
Sadly, they won’t take mine due to extensive travels to USAF bases in Europe during the 80s and 90s. Frown

Same here, they say Mad Cow possibilities. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:

For some reason in my 20 years in the USAF, the furthest east I went was a 1 week TDY at NAS Patuxent River, MD. Went to Australia for three weeks, several TDY's to Guam, and one year in Korea. For 16 years, I was stationed in the CONUS midwest. 1 year in Korea, 3 years in California.
My wife spent 25 years split between Active Duty, ANG, and USAF Reserves. She's been to places I've never even heard of (C-130 crew will do that).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
O- here and started donating mid 80's and have no idea how much I've donated since then, but it's a bit. Doing the "Power Red" now too and the Red Cross hits me up the minute I am eligible to give again.
The RC has an app where you can verify all your info and the fact you haven't had sex with a primate on the day of donation so when you show up its verify who you are, BP, iron, and off to the table.
They even send me emails on where my blood went.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have never been really affected by it. Haven't donated in a few years. All the regulations on donating after traveling to certain countries/places have prevented me from giving in awhile.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1st time I donated was in college & I passed out, but also found out about the same time that I had blood sugar issues. At some point I randomly started donating here & there. I am O- so I take it as a sign that I should donate. This past year I made myself a goal to donate as many times as I could & I did. I always make sure to eat wholesome food before I go. I feel fine after I donate. The only thing I think I notice & it is just what I believe is that this is the first winter that I have become a huge baby about being cold. I am usually always hot, will even wear shorts year round & I live in a place with cold winters. I've been buying some really warm clothes lately.

My husband donates very rarely but it makes his energy levels really low.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post