SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1st time donating blood
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st time donating blood Login/Join 
posted
Talk about losing a day. Donated in the morning, feel like I am in a fog all day today.

But, daughter (who has donated blood since she was old enough to do it) finally put her foot down and challenged me to do it, cant say no to that!

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need a beer Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yeah okay, but did they give you some Orange Juice and a cookie? They do at the place I go to.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Yeah okay, but did they give you some Orange Juice and a cookie? They do at the place I go to.

Yep, and I ate breakfast right after.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
The first time I visited the Bloodmobile, I didn't realize the effect it would have on me for the rest of the day... I had a mountain bike ride scheduled. Suffice to say, I did NOT ride well that night. Razz

Good for you for donating, Southflorida.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I donate as many times a year as I can. I don't notice anything later in the day. Maybe I just haven't had to do anything strenuous later on.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kudos for being a great citizen! I've done it, and then played tennis. I was dizzy the whole time. Pretty stupid of me but that's how I roll. Take the cookies, OJ and go lie around lol.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1st time, I got up too fast, the room spun around, I went down quick. Nurse gave me the o.j. & a chocolate chip cookie. She got me back on the cot.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good on you. If you donate on a regular basis, you’ll learn what time of day works best for you. I’ve learned that Saturday afternoon works best for me. That gives me a day or two to recover before returning to regular exercise. I’ve donated 25 gallons over 28 years.

Funny story. My friends donated our senior year on the same day as our first track meet of the year. We came in dead last in the mile. Freshman beat us! It wasn’t pretty.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to donate whole blood and be fine. Sometimes I even lifted weights the same day, but couldn't move as much iron.

Double apheresis (directing the blood from my veins through tubing to a machine that separates the blood components with a centrifuge. After the separation, the desired component of the blood is removed, while the remainder of the blood components are reinfused back into the patient) is a totally different outcome. Not only did it take at least twice as long, I felt like luke-warm dog shit the rest of the day. I thought it was a fluke the first time so I tried it again and same thing.

I've donated a total of 2+ gallons of blood via the every other month blood drives at work. However, myself and dozens of other coworkers have completely quit donating blood as the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center switched from having competent, paid professionals to students. Even at the end of a 3 day blood drive they're completely incompetent and push needles all the way through veins, miss the vein and root around (I've had worse bruises from donating blood than having surgery), and worse of all they'll laugh and joke about their mistakes in front of us since they don't give a damn that we can hear. If it was as important as they say it is then they would have professionals drawing blood from donors.

My friend works at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Top 10 cancer facility in US) and she donates blood at work. They use the same nurses that work on cancer patients (blood draws, inserting lines for infusions, etc) and she never has more than a 1mm mark on her elbow.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I started donating blood while stationed in Germany. Had to go to Frankfurt. No OJ and cookie. Double shot of bourbon.

Why did I go to Frankfurt? Because that was where my girl friend (now my wife of 60+ years) worked. Got the whole day free after the blood donation.

Just kept on donating until the Red Cross told me I was now too old.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Double apheresis [snip] Not only did it take at least twice as long, I felt like luke-warm dog shit the rest of the day. I thought it was a fluke the first time so I tried it again and same thing.

I've done that just once. I didn't feel too bad afterward... but boy, does the Red Cross hound a fella to schedule the next one!

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Good job SFL! The 1st time is the hardest. Now you know what to expect. It's not bad at all.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first three times I donated, I passed out, despite cookies and juice.

There still hasn't been a fourth time.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I used to give whole blood every chance I was eligible, then they convinced me to switch to platelets and plasma.

While giving blood never bothered me, but that first smoke afterwards have me a buzz like I used to get when I first started smoking.

When donating platelets and plasma however, they use an anti- coagulation med that makes my lips tingle, and my body temp would dip at least a full degree.

I never had lasting effects on me, but it all depends on build, hydration, and blood composition.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It never bothered me, but everyone is different.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went once. Thought it was a race. BP going in was 135/70. Stood up after my string cheese and almost passed out. New BP was 70/35. More string cheese, some cookies, some juice, and I could walk again.

Haven't gone back.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Great job, southflorida! Hope you’ll donate again in the future. There aren’t very many regular donors these days so every donation is very important. See my CUT for why.

When you donate again, I recommend using your other arm for the donation. Each donation leaves a little scar in your vein. Alternate arms for your donations and it will minimize the damage over time and reduce the risk of pain down the road. Being right-handed, I used my left arm exclusively for the several gallons but then got that phlebotomist that had never met a vein she couldn’t tap, even if she shouldn’t have tried so hard. I cut back my donations for several years after that one, and made sure to alternate after that experience.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Well past the 10 gallon mark. Like an oil change for the body.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm A+, which makes me a target for platelets. Donating is better now than in the past. About 10-15 years ago, you'd have one needle in each arm, and the procedure took about 105-120 minutes. Sure enough, about 30 minutes in, your nose would itch Red Face . Now the machines only use 1 arm, and I can use my tablet while donating (even browse SIGForum Big Grin ). Takes about 65 minutes for a double, 90-100 or so for a triple. I've been doing platelets for ~15 years now, and have hit 48 gallons (platelets you can donate every two weeks). For the anti-coagulant tingling in the lips, most places will give you Tums, as the calcium help to counteract the tingling(having a yogurt beforehand helps too).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post