SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle Suggestions Solicited
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle Suggestions Solicited Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Aeteocles started a thread about The logic of maintaining an old car.

The topic is particularly timely for me; as I mentioned in his thread, my 1995 GMC Jimmy has come to the end of its economically feasible life for me.

I'm going to start looking for a replacement next week, and I would like to hear suggestions from the crowed here.

My criteria:
  • First and foremost, I need something that will give ample leg room and knee room for my extra long 37" inseam legs. Headroom is not a problem, I am sort of out of proportion with very long legs but not a tall torso. F-150, with its long range of seat track adjustment and adjustable pedal position is great, but I don't think I'll find one that I can afford.

• Price: I can swing something between $10,000 and $15,000. The $15K figure is an absolute maximum, I really want to try to come in below that.

• Vehicle type: Either a pickup or an SUV type. Four doors plus ability to schlep "stuff." My initial thought was pickup, Mrs. V-Tail has made some convincing arguments in favor of SUV. At this point I'll consider either one, but SUV seems to be in the lead. If pickup, I want to take a look at older Honda Ridgeline or Ford Explorer Sport-Trac.

• Reliability: I don't want to get into a maintenance-hungry vehicle. A service expectation of 100,000 miles for me is plenty, I don't really do more than 500 miles a month, usually less, and at my age I don't anticipate too many more years of driving.

• Features: I used to prefer manual transmission, but now with my aging hips and knees, it's really easier not to have to deal with a clutch, especially with traffic in the area becoming more dense, more stop-and-go during commuting hours, so automatic is preferred. Backup camera would be a bonus. I don't care about audio systems (I'm hearing impaired), or other fancy add-ons. Just want what I consider fairly basic upgrades -- power windows, cruise control, etc. but almost every vehicle has these nowadays. Tilt / telescope steering wheel would help with the leg and knee clearance.
Vehicles that I intend to look at include the standard array of mid-size pickups, various SUVs, Subaru Outback or Trifecta, anything else that happens to catch my eye or is recommended here. If anyone wants to sell me an F-150 with the 2.7L engine for a price within my range, I'll snap it up. Wink

Awaiting your suggestions and comments.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't beat an older Subaru if that's where you're kinda going. It's not a truck but it'll still go through some stuff.
Ex wife has one that's 8 years old now and still going strong.
Trucks are nice but people have gotten nuts with their asking price anymore. They do hold value but don't be ridiculous.
I'd pick a few vehicles and then sit down with the Mrs. and decide.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
my impression is that the average Chevy suburban does not hold their value. They are very comfortable rides. They don't get great mileage but they tend to hold up. We are still driving our 1999 suburban.

maybe you can get a nice one in your price range. if they are well cared for, it's not unusual for them to go well past 200k miles.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You can easily get yourself into a Subaru Outback that is 5 years old or newer in that range. Seats fold down flat and a rubber cargo liner comes standard for schlepping stuff, and meets the requirements for all that other stuff, except that you'll want to sit in it for the leg length thing--the steering wheel does telescope and extend.

The newer ones come with a timing chain instead of a belt, if that sort of stuff is important to you. The middle trim level has tinted glass and is available with heated windshield, mirrors, and seats.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really liking our 2016 Outback. Very functional vehicle.
I'm 6' with a 31" inseam. Its one of the few cars that I get in that I don't have the seat all the way back. In fact it probably has 4-5 inches of travel left once I have it adjusted to where I need it.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SUV: I inherited a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan in 2012 with 200 k miles on it. We drove it for the next 3 years and put another 56 K on it. It had the 3.7L motor in it. We retired it with 256 K miles when it needed a new power PAC. It leaked a little oil, burned NONE. HAd to replace the battery once. Not pretty but it got 20 mpg, AC and heater and radio worked til the end. It would carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood if the rear seats were taken out.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
A buddy bought a used suburban-style Yukon about 12 years ago. I sort of laughed it off.

It's still going strong, hasn't cost a penny outside usual fluids, and continues to be a comfortable pleasant ride through the rigors of the PNW 4 seasons weather.

I had written that entire class off since th disappearance of the 70s era boxy truckish looking Jimmy/GMC. The Subaru line I've come to respect would have to prove itself more worthy should my needs change.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I have a 36" inseam and struggle with vehicles. My 2014 Outback was one of the most comfortable vehicles I've ever owned. The Forester and Crosstrek had a surprising amount of legroom also. My divorce last yeah forced me to sell the Outback and I got a truck.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
I had a string of Subarus and while they're great in snow in terms of maintenance they wanted more than my current daily, a second-gen Honda CRV. See if one of those will fit your needs/legs; mine's been largely trouble free outside of gas/tires/oil, and since they have a timing chain and not a belt you avoid one of the more costly maintenance tasks that I4s typically expect.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
I bought an 03 Toyota Highlander last August. Plenty of legroom, very comfortable. Unlike the 4Runner the windshield is not right in your face.
It has the V-6 so mileage compared to a new Subaru doesn't look so good. I bought the car for my son to drive when he got his license. It took him a while to get the license so I started driving the car. I liked it enough to consider a new Highlander for myself. I eventually landed on a Subaru Forester due to price and fuel consumption.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the suburban. Particularly the 3/4 ton model (2500 series) as they are particularly durable, with a heavy duty transmission and rear axle.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can easily get yourself into a fairly new Ford Expedition. I'm 6'3 with 36" inseam and have plenty of room. I know the Sport trac doesn't, my knees touch the dash on an explorer of that era. The Expeditions carry a ton of cargo, tow well, are very reliable. Should be able to get a 2011 or so for that kind of money. The third row seat folds flat, giving you about 4'x5' of flat cargo area and the second row folds almost flat. I prefer and SUV over a pickup as whatever you carry is secure and out of the weather.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going in a different direction, two years ago I bought a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel truck. Mine had 95k miles on it. These trucks regularly do 300, 400 and 500,000 miles. Mine runs like a top. Most that I see are 4WD and auto trans. Mine is 2WD and manual trans. The trucks of this vintage had problems with the auto trans. Most were rebuilt or replaced.

It is a great truck. The 1995-98 had the Cummins 12 valve engines. Solid machines without a computer. Later trucks have computers(more complexity to go wrong IMO).

Today I checked mileage and mixed highway/town driving I am getting 22 mpg. I have gotten 25.5 mpg on the highway. The truck is rated for 3,000# in the bed. Great truck, but not as good as 4WD in snow.

Paid 9k, needed tires and a paint job.

I Love the Diesel engine and manual transmission. The gas version is a whole different animal which I know nothing about.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Echoing my suggestion from lbj's AWD thread.
We have a 2013 Ford Flex SEL that has been awesome. A FWD variant in the 2013-14 range may be doable at the upper range of your buget.

Sorry, my 2.7 F150 isn't for sale.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15288 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I suppose offering it to me as a karma is out of the question. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I suppose offering it to me as a karma is out of the question. Wink

No luck. Can't tow our trailer with the K75.

Posts: 15288 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
That price range is going to be tough.

Suggest finding 2wd variants of F-150, Tahoe, Suburban etc.

Expect to be restricted to stuff with 100k+ miles on the clock already. Ridiculous what used trucks and SUVs go for now.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
One of our members has a Tacoma for sale. I tried it on for size yesterday. The leg / knee room was marginal for me. Kind of tight. I'm going to keep it in reserve as Plan B, but I want to go to CarMax later this week, not necessarily to buy that day, but they do have a huge assortment of vehicles to look at and try for size.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this was a 2004, the last of the first generations Tacomas. I believe that the 2005 and later are a bit larger, certainly in width, but width is not my problem. I need fore-and-aft leg room.

I realize that published specs do not necessarily relate to reality, but I don't see any vehicle that publishes a spec for more front seat legroom than Subaru Outlook.

Toyota Avalon is close, and while it does not have the utility of an SUV or pickup, a nearby CarMax is showing one available. I'll have to look at it, and if it excels in everything else, I might need to compromise on the utility aspect. I'll figure another way to schlep target stands, targets, range bags, etc. to the gun club if I need to. Don't want to mess up the interior of a nice car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, if there are any local, try a Ford Flex.
Tons of utility room, and the seat goes back far enough that I struggle to reach the pedals (6'0" & 34" inseam).

Maybe not as useful, but I can also sit relatively comfortable (not cramped with knees in my chin) in the 3rd row.

An SEL should give leather, memory seat/mirror settings.
Sufficient power for a daily driver, lots more with the EcoBoost (likely out of budget) version.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
As mentioned above, if there are any local, try a Ford Flex.

Tons of utility room, and the seat goes back far enough that I struggle to reach the pedals (6'0" & 34" inseam).
I'll try one on for size. There are none at either of the two local CarMax places, but I can check at a Ford dealer. They'll certainly have one that I can sit in, and maybe even an affordable CPO.

Looks like their fuel economy is 18 / 25, city / highway. Better than my 1995 S-10 Jimmy, which will be sold or traded, and about on par with the 1994 Volvo 940, straight 4 cylinder 2.4 L

The big question is seating comfort for a "stretch" guy like me, in the driver's seat. Frankly, I don't care about back seat people. They are rare for me, and if they whine, let them buy their own car, I'm paying for my comfort, not theirs. Yeah, I'm a grouchy old bastard.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים