SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pocket Knife recommendation
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Knife recommendation Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Having gone through a good many, from cheap, to expensive, I will recommend the Spyderco PM2. It fits my hand well, deploys easily, and cuts whatever I ask of it.

I am not sure what your restrictions are in CA, if any, on folders.

Good luck Dave!

This, specifically, the blue scale version in S110V. You won't regret it.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
This is my everyday knife, fits all of your criteria nicely.

https://www.spyderco.com/catal...ails.php?product=820

Available on Amazon at a good price.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderc...Handle/dp/B00AHF6D6I

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
Having gone through a good many, from cheap, to expensive, I will recommend the Spyderco PM2. It fits my hand well, deploys easily, and cuts whatever I ask of it.

I agree. It isn't a small knife. It is light for its size. It doesn't make the mistake of being a sharpened prybar, which many of the currently popular tacticool folders make.

A Benchmade 940 is a good choice. I think they are hard to beat. Moderate size. Strong lock. Good cutters.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really thin, really light and so cheap you can't lose it if you try to. It's nothing special, but very handy for tons of daily tasks.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Kniv...L-2.0-Knife_22-41122

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my Benchmade Mini-Griptilian

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
A pocket knife to me is a Victorinox knife/file/scissors/mini LED light and pen. The whole package fits in a watch/coin pocket of a pair of jeans and it's cheap at $25. Now for a fighting knife that would be a SOG Twitch XL in the back pocket. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a replacement for the Kershaw Blur that I have carried for the past 10+ years. I lost it over the week-end and don't know what to without it. You can nearly buy 1/2 a dozen for $300.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another leek carrier here. Just add a low carry clip like this:

MXG Gear Clip

Then it's just about perfect.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I rotate between a Mini-Grip and a Delica, and love them both. I'd be hard pressed to pick one of them, or to find one better.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Delica 4 with ZDP-189 steel. Since I got that one I haven't felt the urge to get another knife. It's damn near perfect, and that steel is just amazing.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
So many knives. This is gonna be tough.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfDoDWlSp1o

I alternate between a Spyderco Native 1, Spyderco Delica 4, Spyderco Dragonfly, and Benchmade Mini Griptilian.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Another vote fore Doug Ritter minigrip

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3639 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I had a CRK Small Sebenza that I absolutely adored (then it was stolen). I think as a jeweler, you would really appreciate the CRK lineup.. his stuff is NICE.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread with odd answers. All the respondents have told you what their favorits knife was/is. Without asking what you, the OP, wants to do with it. It could be the most important part of the answer. Using a knife for cutting will be completely different from using one for prying.

To me a knife is a cutting tool only. I hate it when my wife wants to borrow my knife. To her, its just a multipurpose tool used for prying, hacking, or as a screwdriver. And when she's done with it, she just puts it down. To have and keep a good knife, you need to develop habits that work for you. The first one being never loan it out or put it down. Its also important to learn how to sharpen it. We sometimes assume all that.

And I know a bunch of people who own knives that never sharpen them. To me, a dull knife is dangerous. Others don't respect your knife, or don't even respect their own. One skill that I've developed is when someone asks for a knife, I turn and walk away.

Finding a good knife for you may not involve copying someone else's preferences. Just to do what the others have done, I'll say I owned and used a 3 blade Buck for about 25 years. Then I moved to a single blade because because it was thinner. I didn't need the other blades and can sharpen the primary knifes blade with no trouble.

What I predict for the OP is that he'll spend way too much money and buy a knife that won't serve his needs. At least the first and second cycles. Its why I would suggest picking a not too expensive alternative. It will or should teach some preferences and not be too painful when it gets lost. Even the kind of pants you wear will either help you retain it or let it slip away when you're seated. Its even going to create a new habit for you. Constantly touching your pocket to be sure its still there.

With your assumed occupation, I would think you wear dress pants during the day. Back when I had to do that, part of my criteria involved feeling the pockets before even considering buying them. The best looking knives often have a slippery appearance. Think about that before buying.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Buck 503 Prince

Classic looks, slim, light, compact.

Blade: 2.5" drop point, 420HC stainless steel
Thickness: 0.08"
Length: 3-3/8" closed
Weight: 2.2 oz.
Rosewood Dymondwood with stainless steel bolsters
Made in the USA
Under $40

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
If for utility and defense, the PM2 or the Yojimbo2. My wife just took 2 days on edged weapon defense and offense from the Yojimbo designer with Florida Firearms Training/martial blade concepts. Very cool and she has shared a lot of what she learned.

For basic utility the Kershaw Leek or Kershaw Junkyard Dog in D2 is hard to beat.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I'm a big fan of the Spyderco Delica 4 FFG in VG-10 steel. Shop around and you can find them in the $50-60 range, new. Thin, light, can be set up for left/right, tip-up/tip-down carry, however you want. Or remove the clip if you don't want to use it. Easy to open and close with one hand. The blade holds an edge well but is pretty easy to sharpen. And you can get it in different, non-tactical colors if that's a concern.

The blade is 2-7/8", but if you need a bigger blade the Endura is basically the same but with a 3-3/4" blade.

If it matters, both models are available with the Emerson Wave feature.

Also, you can get a Delica/Kahr model with a 2.5" blade if you live in or travel to places with such a blade-length restriction.

Yep, Delica or Endura. Thin and light.

If you're looking for assisted opening, consider the Benchmade Mini-Barrage or Barrage.

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
I had a CRK Small Sebenza that I absolutely adored (then it was stolen). I think as a jeweler, you would really appreciate the CRK lineup.. his stuff is NICE.

I'll second a Sebenza. It's refined and a pleasure to use.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Rburg, it's entirely possible that a number of us who suggested favorite designs know how to use a pocket knife, and what it's for. It's also entirely possible that the OP is expecting that, and knows how to read through the replies to try to find something that suits his needs. Your reply seems to insult the intelligence of the OP, and everyone who has responded.

Or I'm reading it wrong. Smile

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Spyderco Delica 4 with ZDP-189 steel. Since I got that one I haven't felt the urge to get another knife. It's damn near perfect, and that steel is just amazing.

I agree. That knife is the prefect size. Not to big, not to small and carries loose in the pocket or clipped.

That Delica® 4 Titanium / Damascus that TXJIM posted is really nice looking as well.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post