SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pocket Knife recommendation
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pocket Knife recommendation Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Looking for light, sturdy, good steel, not too thick folding pocket knife. Budget is around $300 or less.

Thanks in advance

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Having gone through a good many, from cheap, to expensive, I will recommend the Spyderco PM2. It fits my hand well, deploys easily, and cuts whatever I ask of it.

I am not sure what your restrictions are in CA, if any, on folders.

Good luck Dave!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My SOG Flash II has held up splendidly for ten years or so. I doubt it was even as much as $100.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Benchmade 707 Sequel has become my favorite over the past few years.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Doug Ritter Griptilian discussion

Here's a discussion over in Essential Edge. Having both large and small versions, my preference is for the Doug Ritter version of the Mini-Griptilian. I prefer the blade shape, finish, and steel. The Axis lock is unbeatable: you can flick your wrist to open and close with one hand.

Prefer fancier scales? Order some $150 ones from Kevin Wilkins in Berlin (see photos end of that thread).

Plus usual outstanding Benchmade warranty. The Ritter version will no longer be made, but you can still order it online.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I like the Kershaw Leek. You can buy 8 or 10 of them for $300.

Check out Benchmade if you really want to spend more, or for semi-custom, Williams Knife Company.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
After carrying many brands, including a few Benchmades, I now carry and love my Kershaw Leek. It's a Ken Onion design, and mine is the flat black color. Lies flat in the pocket, and holds a decent edge. At least for now, I wouldn't change it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Spyderco Delica 4 FFG in VG-10 steel. Shop around and you can find them in the $50-60 range, new. Thin, light, can be set up for left/right, tip-up/tip-down carry, however you want. Or remove the clip if you don't want to use it. Easy to open and close with one hand. The blade holds an edge well but is pretty easy to sharpen. And you can get it in different, non-tactical colors if that's a concern.

The blade is 2-7/8", but if you need a bigger blade the Endura is basically the same but with a 3-3/4" blade.

If it matters, both models are available with the Emerson Wave feature.

Also, you can get a Delica/Kahr model with a 2.5" blade if you live in or travel to places with such a blade-length restriction.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Two Spyderco Paramilitary 2s, with a few bucks left over.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
After going both fat and thin, the Gerber Covert Folder is the one I've always kept. Slim, yes. But plenty to hold onto. A true Tool Knife while being a great defensive weapon.

Based on the classic Applegate-Fairbairn fixed knife, the Covert is a 3/4 scale, pocket clip version of the Gerber original Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder. - Gerber

$147 list; about $105 online. Lifetime warranty.

I keep a stainless Kershaw Leek as a "dress knife" when wearing 9 ounce wool slacks as well. Christmas, Easter, and increasingly, funerals.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Light, sturdy, not too thick, with a little sex appeal?

Zero Tolerance 0770 Carbon Fiber. I have one for suit pocket carry. It's really light and doesn't way down the lines of my suit.

My second pick would be the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It's thicker and heavier than the ZT above though.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris Reeve Sebenza. A used one should fit your budget.
You wont regret it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like the Kershaw Leek. You can buy 8 or 10 of them for $300.

This is good advice. They are durable, sharp and relatively light, but won't make you cry when you lose one. I love carrying a Benchmade for the heft, but the Kershaw is my regular.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Benchmade 535 and kershaw leek come to mind when thinking of slim, light models.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Kershaw Leek. Thin and disappears if you remove the clip.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've been carrying a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian in D2 black steel for about three years and use it almost every day. I've only had to touch up the edge a few times in that time. It's the perfect size for a pocket knife in my opinion. I can't remember for sure, but I think I paid a little over $100 for it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my Kershaw Blur. It is a good size knife, available in lots of colors and blade materials. It is very thin, especially compared to my Doug Ritter Griptillian. The only thing I wish was better is the height it sits out of my pocket.

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under $300...the sky's the limit. When it comes to everyday carry knives, I try to keep it under $150. Should you end up loosing it a more expensive knife, you'll be heartbroken, upset, pissed when you do end up loosing/misplacing/accidentally leave it behind. I've had Benchmade, SOG, Gerber, Leatherman...all have done the job. Some are better than others.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
I'll be the third (fourth?) vote for the Spyderco PM2. Great knife. Handy size. Easy to use.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Figure you might want something a bit elegant. These are my fav EDCs that fit your needs if found used (discontinued Buck #532 models with a variety of handle and blade materials should be the easiest to find NIB or lightly used, followed by a used Small Sebenza without inlays). (Any yes that's my fingerprint on the Buck blade. LOL)

--William Henry 2002 T12RB Redwood Burl Spearpoint 3.25" 154CM blade improved model w/titanium bolsters
--Buck 1998 #532MS Master Series Bucklock, 3" BG-42 blade, from Buck Custom Shop with bark mastodon ivory scales
--Chris Reeve 1999 Small Sebenza Box Elder inlaid, 2.94" BG-42 blade (1 of 60 made first year for inlays)

If you're leaning towards the more utilitarian, I too suggest any number of Spyderco models. I've had a lot over the years including many iterations of the Endura and Delica. Currently on hand are a #C36 Military plain edge CPM440V (gift from CEO Sal Glesser 1/99), #C41GPSI RootBeer shell inlaid Native with CPM440V combo-edge blade, and a #C12 Civilian ATS-55 aluminum-kraton handle. The Paramilitary mentioned by others is a great choice as are the smaller Native models.

Also worthy of consideration is the latest iteration of the Kershaw #1510ST Ken Onion Random Task CPM440V (Blade Magazine's 1998 Knife of the Year). Had mine for 19 years and it has easily stood the test of time. Smile Not sure what the current Kershaw model number or name is (Leak, Blur, etc.).

And if the pictured 3" blades are a tad too small, the full sized Sebenza simply is outstanding if a bit pricey even on the used market. I have a 1998 BG42 model customized by Matt Cucchiara.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16191 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post