SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My property taxes went up 42.5%!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My property taxes went up 42.5%! Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
That's not our primary residence this is our seasonal lake property which is considered undeveloped as we as of yet do not have a permanent housing structure on it. I predicted this would happen when we went into the first economic suicide lock down. This does not have me looking forward to seeing our primary residence tax statement. Mad

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The county revalued our home by 34%. Our tax statements haven't been sent yep but I'm sure they be much higher than last year. Bastards!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With everyone fleeing cities, this may hit many

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the only rational thing in California ( and it’s constantly under attack by the commies) is property tax law. It’s frozen at roughly 1.25% of purchase price and the county can only increase it 2% a year max. And it can also go down if you appeal. It’s really golden for folks like my parents that have lived in their home for 50 years and the basis is frozen at 1977 levels. They pay less than 1/10% of what a neighbor buying an identical house would pay.

And parent to child transfers protect this basis. Of course the collectivists want to get rid of all these protections.

My brother in TX paid almost the same what I paid about the same time when he bOught his home (3x the size and 5x the lot size but I digress) his property taxes are almost double what I pay. His county can just raises taxes with impunity.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We're somewhat protected from arbitrary and excessive property tax increases by the Headlee Amendment to our State Constitution.

I'm thanking our lucky stars for that right now, being as the state seems to have gotten quite blue Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Pretty much the only rational thing in California ( and it’s constantly under attack by the commies) is property tax law. It’s frozen at roughly 1.25% of purchase price and the county can only increase it 2% a year max. And it can also go down if you appeal. It’s really golden for folks like my parents that have lived in their home for 50 years and the basis is frozen at 1977 levels. They pay less than 1/10% of what a neighbor buying an identical house would pay.

And parent to child transfers protect this basis. Of course the collectivists want to get rid of all these protections.

My brother in TX paid almost the same what I paid about the same time when he bOught his home (3x the size and 5x the lot size but I digress) his property taxes are almost double what I pay. His county can just raises taxes with impunity.

Our CA property tax this year was $3600. If someone bought that house today, their property tax would be over $20K

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to be the voice of doom, but I dont think Headlee means dick to Whitmer. All the $$$ she spent on the WhooHooFloo has to replenished from somewhere.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Not to be the voice of doom, but I dont think Headlee means dick to Whitmer. All the $$$ she spent on the WhooHooFloo has to replenished from somewhere.

Yeah, but it's there and there's not a damn thing she can do about it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26005 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm lucky, mine only went up ~20% this year. Revenue is in the crapper due to COVID, and the population won't vote for a tax hike, so what else are the .govs going to do to make it up? Take a big wet bite out of everyone's ass through a HUGE jump in property taxes, that's what.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Challenge?

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
The county revalued our home by 34%. Our tax statements haven't been sent yep but I'm sure they be much higher than last year. Bastards!

Jim

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Challenge?

quote:

Jim

I plan to challenge but you know what they say about fighting city hall.

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Indiana property tax is capped at 1% of assessed value on primary residence with homestead exemption based on fair market value. 2% on rental and 3% commercial. Still sucks but at least there are defined limits.

Posts: 4679 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Received our property tax bill just AFTER Election Day (always sent out on Nov 1). 64% of the entire tax bill was for the local school district.

We had a tax referendum on the ballot for an increase by 7% for schools. No one knows how the referendum faired, as a Jefferson County Teachers Assoc (JCTA) BOUGHT AND PAID FOR judge ruled that the required referendum on the tax didn’t have the proper # of verified and registered signatures on it to challenge the tax. Appeals on the ruling—DENIED!!!!

So, the referendum was thrown out and the tax goes forward.

Gotta “love” the DEMOCRAT-CONTROLLED JCTA!!!!! Mad Mad Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Challenge?

quote:

Jim

It's risky in our case. We are on 3 acres and the land is prime for development and is worth more than the house and barn. It typically is valued far lower than we could sell it for. If a county assessor comes out and does a new assessment I'm pretty sure it would be higher than the current number.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Challenge?

quote:

Jim

I plan to challenge but you know what they say about fighting city hall.
We don't have state income tax so we have monster property taxes. Appealing is part of the game down here. My neighbors DIY the comps and have to take a half day of vacation to appeal, and to make it more painful the county gives short notice on the appeal hearing date. I hire a company that only gets paid if I win (percentage with a $400 cap).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
That's not our primary residence this is our seasonal lake property which is considered undeveloped as we as of yet do not have a permanent housing structure on it. I predicted this would happen when we went into the first economic suicide lock down. This does not have me looking forward to seeing our primary residence tax statement. Mad

Find out if there is a reduction for farm and livestock used land. Fence it in and drop in some goats and presto chango no tax increase.

YOu can do that here, it was funny seeing land that should have been valued and taxed at a higher commercial value due to location near malls and strip malls with fencing and goats.

Stayed that way until the owners sold it to developers...

Posts: 23236 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Find out if there is a reduction for farm and livestock used land.

There is but a minimum amount of acreage is required and we don't meet that.

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
That's crazy.

Mine only went up by 3% (in Wright county). There was a referendum here that did not pass which would have added an additional $600.

Did the estimated market value jump crazy high? New levies or special assessments?

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I've been saying it for awhile. Once the tax revenue starts to go down due to everybody's online purchases (and not filing use tax), then property taxes would go up to cover the shortfall.

In this case I believe it's the Wuhan that started the dominoes to fall, but same principle, and the same ultimate result.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I've been saying it for awhile. Once the tax revenue starts to go down due to everybody's online purchases (and not filing use tax), then property taxes would go up to cover the shortfall.

Tax revenue plummeted this year because our Communist Overlords shut everything down. Is it a surprise that there is no tax revenue when everything is closed? Not to us, but our gov't elites sure seem surprised by it. So once again the common man gets screwed by higher taxes, and the gov't entities feel no pain whatsoever.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post