SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My property taxes went up 42.5%!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My property taxes went up 42.5%! Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I've been saying it for awhile. Once the tax revenue starts to go down due to everybody's online purchases (and not filing use tax), then property taxes would go up to cover the shortfall.

In this case I believe it's the Wuhan that started the dominoes to fall, but same principle, and the same ultimate result.

Things are a changing. All of the larger on line retailers are now charging tax. Amazon, WalMart et al. As a matter of fact I'm surprised when I buy something online and there is no tax. That free ride is ending.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't the use tax issue past tense since the SC ruled about that. Every one I buy from collects it or is being sued to collect it by the State revenue department.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
My property tax went up the max out here in the SF Bay Area.

Even with prop 13 my tax is over 7K.

If I were to buy my house today my tax would be 12-14K.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
That's crazy.

Mine only went up by 3% (in Wright county). There was a referendum here that did not pass which would have added an additional $600.

Did the estimated market value jump crazy high? New levies or special assessments?

Estimated market value increased by 10 grand. But that's a shell game to justify the tax increase. No one around me built new homes, no one came out to asses my property. No new school referendums.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty happy where I live in SW Florida. My property taxes have stayed steady for the past 3-4 years despite the property values going up significantly.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Ain't nothing for nothing!
We will pay for all the Covid money that has flown out the window.
Wait till the Dem,s get control, ALL the big cities run by the Dems will get bailed out,By EVERYBODY. Won't matter if your State or City is run well and prudently, you will pay for all the States and Cities that are not, and have not, for decades.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I challenged mine in the 2008 era when property values were slow to come down. They were overwhelmed with requests; if they can't get to in reasonable period of time ( I forget what that was) you are awarded your value. You have to provide some supporting docs like comps. In Georgia they had to honor for at least three years. YMMV.

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tax revenue plummeted this year because our Communist Overlords shut everything down.

Indeed it did, but online sales have been steadily chipping away at it as well. Right here in Missouri online sales are estimated to cause a $103,000,000 yearly shortfall.

Wuhan shutting everything down multiplied that.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
File an appeal

Get your neighbors to appeal

Get as many people as possible to flood them with paper.

The file a lawsuit or two - if they want your money, make them earn it.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Take it easy. The government and schools NEED that money. After all, they're not working (maybe never did) but need to continue paying all the wages they've become used to. You bet they need additional revenue. Milking that turnip to the max. Folks not working can't pay it. Well, sort of. City, county and state "workers" still want their pay. If they don't get their pay increase, they'll strike! They're entitled! Milking that cow till it dies.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
That's crazy.

Mine only went up by 3% (in Wright county). There was a referendum here that did not pass which would have added an additional $600.

Did the estimated market value jump crazy high? New levies or special assessments?

Estimated market value increased by 10 grand. But that's a shell game to justify the tax increase. No one around me built new homes, no one came out to asses my property. No new school referendums.

I'm dreading ours. We're in Hubbard Co. and although we filed for Homestead for next year (the prior owners just had it as a vacation home) I'm expecting a jump.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Ain't nothing for nothing!
We will pay for all the Covid money that has flown out the window.
Wait till the Dem,s get control, ALL the big cities run by the Dems will get bailed out,By EVERYBODY. Won't matter if your State or City is run well and prudently, you will pay for all the States and Cities that are not, and have not, for decades.

You make some good points. This year most gov't entities have notably higher spending due to welfare, healthcare, unemployment. And they have notably lower revenues. The taxpayer will get burned next year.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My mill rate in CT was 42 before I moved earlier this year. That equaled 13k and change for .5 acre and a house. My 2001 Dodge 2500 cost 400 per year for plates. An average cost for plowing a 100 foot driveway once was around $75. I am so glad to be out of that dumpster fire of a state. Last I heard, they want to charge tolls on all the major interstates.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
My property taxes went up 3% this year. Any increase gets under my skin, even tho in my case 3% doesn’t add up to much.

If the government dug a hole so deep that they feel they need to raise taxes to get back in the black, that becomes my problem because???

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Ours went up 34% here in Davidson County ( Nashville). Its actually gonna be more though Eek . We are trying to have it changed to a small percentage each year..... we will see. It’s just a staggering amount though.....

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the end of it yet. I predicted that the next couple tax cycles this was going to happen. Plus in spring we are putting up a 30X40 storage barn. This will probably trigger at least a drive by from the assesor after I file for the building permit. Next year will be even more interesting.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I'm pretty happy where I live in SW Florida. My property taxes have stayed steady for the past 3-4 years despite the property values going up significantly.
Florida is a fortunate state. Not run by the communists. You guys have a great governor.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
We had reassessment this year and my value went up 21%. Got the tax bill and it only went up 5%. God bless all those people with multi-million dollar houses on the lake.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad now...mine only went up about ten percent. The school system is the major portion of my tax bill and now many of the residents are starting to look long and hard at what they spend it on... More than likely high paid administrators.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freedom is the
oxygen of the soul
Picture of 10P8TRIOT
posted Hide Post
No change in my property tax this year. I pay less than $2100/yr for a 3200 sq ft home on 1 acre in northeast Tennessee. Also $0 state income tax.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1086 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: December 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post