SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog has serious issue.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog has serious issue. Login/Join 
posted
I have a Golden Retriever, that is 14 yrs and 5 months old. She has always been in really good condition. Well, yesterday, I went out on my deck to fire up the BBQ grill. She looked up at me and I noticed her right eye looked horrible. Her eyelid was severely drooping down and her eye was bloodshot. It looked like she had poked it with something.
We took her to the vet. They drew blood to see if it was a Thyroid issue? The vet also said that it could be a brain tumor or a stroke.
I am not sure how any of those could cause the eye to look like it has an infection in it. Maybe a stroke could make it look bloodshot.
Have any of you here had this issue with a dog or cat? I have had dogs for many many years. I have bred dogs and trained dogs and had as many as 7 dogs at once, but have never seen this, but at the same time I have never had a dog this old.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My parents golden retriever had the same issue. It ended up being a brain tumor. They kept her comfortable for as long as practical, perhaps even a bit longer than prudent...in the end it was fatal.

I'm sorry. I hope that same diagnosis is not true for your pup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
She's in my prayers.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The eye can change its appearance quickly under the effects of a stroke or tumor. The mechanism to control blinking and hydration fails and the eye becomes susceptible to drying out, infection and so forth.

I hope that isn't the case, but the eye may be more a sign of what's going on than the actual primary problem itself.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Look up Horner's Syndrome (doggie version). Can cause unilateral nerve paralysis which results in drooping eyelid on one side, some facial droop, maybe drooling on that side.

Check out the symptoms, see if they match.

Another thought/question: did the vet use a tonometer to check for glaucoma? This won't cause a drooping lid, but acute glaucoma CAN cause a prominent 3rd eyelid to somewhat simulate a droopy eyelid. If they didn't check the pressure, might wanna ask them to. There's a tool called a Tonopen that does the check, not painful, quick to do, and relatively cheap to get done.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you and your pet.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you don't trust or believe your vet. Second opinion?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
14+ years is old for a Golden Retriever.

My last one made it to 13. He had what I (and my then vet) believe to be a stroke (goofy looking eye, couldn't keep his balance, couldn't navigate stairs and would fall down them, etc...) and went downhill rapidly following that. It was heartbreaking to watch and I ended up putting him down a little more than a month afterwards.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
While I'm not a vet, we had a Golden Lab that died of liver failure. One of the first symptoms she came down with looked like an eye infection as well. Best of luck to your pup.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

Posts: 2353 | Location: Vancouver WA | Registered: September 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
prayers sent

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a GSP that had the sMe issue in both eyes. It started on one and within 5 days it was in both. It was a tumor and had to put her down.
Prayers being sent.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I am sure the vet will answer these questions, when he lets you know what his tests show. He might even answer them if you call him now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I hope your dog recovers nicely.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of great advice and comments.
I will do the searchs as suggested.
My wife said the vet examined her in a different room, so she is not sure what all she checked.
Our vet is a woman whose father was a vet for his lifetime. He was very good with horses and actually had Arabs who brought their horses from overseas to him. She worked with him since she was in high school. Not sure any people are bring horses from all over the world here anymore.
I really think she will not last long. It is tough but this is not the first dog I have lost.
Thanks all for prayers, they really do get close to your heart.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, so I looked up the suggested things.
She did give us some lubricant to put into the eye. She fights us to hold her still to put in the drops. She blinks, moves her head, moves her body and everything else. We end up having to rub them in with our finger...not good if she has an infection.
I noticed that she will not leave the confines of our 6 ft high fenced in back yard today. I tried to coax her to come with me and my grandson to the front yard, but no. I do not think she can see out of that eye.
I really hate putting a dog down, it would be hard to talk me into it unless I see her in pain.
She seems to be in good spirits, ran near the grand kids while they played in the yard today.
Oh well, got an appt for next Wed.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
If you have doubts, there is no betrayal in getting a second opinion. I recommend it to my own clients all the time. As I tell them, I would much rather be wrong and your pet do well than to never get the issue resolved here.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post