SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific ***Update with report page 18***
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship in Pacific ***Update with report page 18*** Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It's not really that hard...

actual people go outside and open their fucking eyes

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

ALNIC MC underway 0.8 kn, course 310

(1 hour, 53 min ago)

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christo....sounds more than a bump n'scrape

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/...-operations-underway

quote:
“Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft,” read the statement.
“The extent of damage and personnel injuries is being determined. The incident will be investigated.”

The crew is fighting flooding in several spaces on the ship, a Navy official told USNI News on Sunday night. The ship has limited propulsion and electrical power but good communications as it heads back into port. The big deck amphibious warship USS America (LHA-6) is steaming toward McCain to offer support to the stricken destroyer.

According to U.S. 7th fleet, Singapore Navy SS Gallant (97), RSN helicopters and Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are rendering assistance.....

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The USS McLame, of course.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Please tell me that this is really the work of SPECTRE trying to take over the world again...

It does make you wonder if someone has figured out a way to spoof the navigation. Let's hope the Navy can figure this out before there is a third time.

Once is an accident. Twice is a coincidence. Three times is an enemy action. ~ Goldfinger (Ian Fleming)

I believe in coincidences. I just believe they are rare, else they would be called common.

None of that is going on. This is either just pure incompetence, or there was an engineering/mechanical failure.

Frankly, I've never had too high of an opinion of Navy sailors' seamanship (in regards to navigation at least), and these incidents sure aren't improving that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think the Chief SWO is gonna get a phone call from the CNO.....

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ that's a shot across the bow.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
When does the commander of the 7th Fleet start taking heat?

Haven't they had like 2 or 3 cases of missing personnel along with these 2 collisions in just the past year? What the hell is going on? Who is in charge? Where does the buck stop?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Is this one of those ships that I've seen in Popular mechanics where there are no windows, just monitors?

As someone said above, maybe it's time we actually start looking out the windows again.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
When does the commander of the 7th Fleet start taking heat?

Haven't they had like 2 or 3 cases of missing personnel along with these 2 collisions in just the past year? What the hell is going on? Who is in charge? Where does the buck stop?

Traditionally the Navy buck stops with the Captain who is deemed responsible for everything affecting the operation of his ship. "Responsible," as in gets the blame and suffers, not in the Clintonian sense.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Now... can we rename that boat?

What did you have in mind?
The Brits already snagged Boaty McBoatface.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
This is exactly the update I was hoping NOT to read.

quote:
BREAKING: U.S. Navy says 10 sailors are missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collided with merchant ship.

Source: AP Twitter

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...des-merchant-vessel/

Ten US sailors were missing after a US destroyer collided with a merchant vessel in southeast Asia, the second serious accident involving American Navy ships in the region in little more than two months.

Search and rescue efforts were launched after the USS John S McCain was involved in a collision with the Alnic MC east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca, the US 7th Fleet said in a statement.

The accident happened at 5.24am local time as the guided-missile destroyer was heading to Singapore for a routine visit.

"There are currently 10 Sailors missing and five injured," the Japan-based 7th Fleet said.

Local authorities were coordinating with the US Navy to conduct search and rescue efforts after the warship suffered damage the port side aft, it said.

The ship it hit, the Liberian-flagged Alnic MC, is a 183 metre long chemical or oil tanker with a deadweight of more than 50,000 tonnes, according to the Marine Traffic website.

Shipping data showed it last sent a transponder signal at 2258 GMT on Sunday and has since come to a halt 6-12 miles off the east coast of the Pengerang peninsula in Johor, southern Malaysia. The ship data showed it was "ballasting", meaning that it was not loaded full of oil for cargo.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Search and rescue operations underway.... Means sailors missing/dead...AGAIN! Probably same damn scenario as last month.. trapped underneath and had to shut the hatch doors to save the ship.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Unreal.

God bless those sailors.

"Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!"

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
10 missing, 5 injured , just reported on Fox

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The USS McLame, of course.

John McCain *SR* (after whom the ship is named) was a great military leader. He was a legendary officer/leader in WWII. He rose to 4-star rank and was CinCPac during at least part of Vietnam.

His son, not so much.

What the heck is going on in today's Navy? Normally, a screw-up like the Fitz would make everybody be extra vigilant and aware for awhile. Granted, the Straits of Malaca are some of the most congested waters in the world, but this is just ridiculous.

quote:
Search and rescue operations underway.... Means sailors missing/dead...AGAIN! Probably same damn scenario as last month.. trapped underneath and had to shut the hatch doors to save the ship.

Yeah, if they were simply overboard, I would think the DDG would have stuck around to look for her own sailors. "Missing" likely means they will have to dry dock her, drain the flooded compartment(s), and recover the bodies.

WTH, Navy?

quote:
Is this one of those ships that I've seen in Popular mechanics where there are no windows, just monitors?

As someone said above, maybe it's time we actually start looking out the windows again.

The Combat Information Center has no external windows. There are, however, a plethora of them on the bridge. The bridge watch should have been able to see what was around her.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Twice now in a short period of time. If it's not intentional then it is a lack of or improper training. 2 Cruisers, 1 Battelship and 1 oiler, the closest I had ever been to a collision was during Under Way Replenishment. After the first, there should have been some serious safety stand downs and plenty of further training. This is unsat. I hope the best for the missing and injured.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Marine Traffic provides this pic for ALNIC MC

The name in the pic is HELCION. Data for a ship named HELCION describes the same type as listed for ALNIC MC:

Vessel type: Oil/chemical Tanker
Gross tonnage: 30,040 tons
Summer DWT: 50,760 tons
Length: 183 m
Beam: 32 m
Draught: 11.8 m

Perhaps Marine Traffic just has a picture of a similar ship. not sure

Time conversion always drives me nuts. But I think the collision time of 624 am 21 Aug (Japan time) translates to 524 pm 20 Aug EDT

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
North Korea has responded by parking a couple of big ass boats in the general vicinity of US Naval operations.

Lil Kim anticipates the entire US Naval fleet will be disabled by December.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post