SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Security Camera Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Security Camera Question Login/Join 
Picture of jprebb
posted
I'm interested in purchasing a security camera that I can connect to a wireless access point and be on my network. I don't have a DVR so I was hoping there was some software available that I could use to record to my computer's hard drive and do something like a 48 hour loop.

Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated?

JP

Posts: 2053 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There have been a ton of threads and posts on this subject here.
Suggest search and read over them.
There is a LOT to camera systems than most people think so maybe also use Google and get educated somewhat on the subject first before any more vague questions.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
There have been a ton of threads and posts on this subject here.
Suggest search and read over them.
There is a LOT to camera systems than most people think so maybe also use Google and get educated somewhat on the subject first before any more vague questions.

smschulz,

Thank you for your response, but it really wasn’t very helpful. Yes, I could go educate myself on the topic of security cameras…but if I did that, I really wouldn’t need SIGforum’s advice, now would I? Instead of reinventing the wheel, I’m hoping another member(s) has already been down this road and that they can save me the hassle of getting “educated somewhat” on this topic.

Just to be clear, I’m looking for an IP camera with PoE that I can run from my computer. Is this a vague question? If so, why don’t you contribute more than just referring me to google? Otherwise, butt out, respectfully.

JP

Posts: 2053 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm interested in purchasing a security camera that I can connect to a wireless access point

quote:
Just to be clear, I’m looking for an IP camera with PoE that I can run from my computer. Is this a vague question?

It is a vague question and doesn't follow your original post. Why PoE and wireless? Some basic pieces of information you are missing: indoors or out? Day, night, or both? What type of lighting at night? How far away are the things you want to record? How much detail do you want?

*edited* Deleted the less than helpful remarks. Sorry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
https://www.supercircuits.com/...-camera-ali-ns1012vr

These cameras are very nice. You can use them with an NVR or use the onboard SD card slot to record motion or continuous. You can also have them record to a network attached storage. This can all be done via on the onboard GUI.

They are powered by POE. They do not come with a POE injector however. You can power them with a 12v transformer as there is a connection for that as well on the pigtail.

The quality is excellent.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
save me the hassle of getting “educated somewhat” on this topic

You mean like a POE camera for your wireless access point? Confused

Sorry if it offends you but there have been a plethora of threads already and only suggested some "education" so you can make an informed decision or better yet form a question other than just not wanting to do any research.

IMO taking an opinion just because "somebody has been there" is very short sided and may or may not be good advice.
This is a many faceted technical area so even semi-educated pointed questions might serve you to make better decisions.

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
save me the hassle of getting “educated somewhat” on this topic

You mean like a POE camera for your wireless access point? Confused

Sorry if it offends you but there have been a plethora of threads already and only suggested some "education" so you can make an informed decision or better yet form a question other than just not wanting to do any research.

IMO taking an opinion just because "somebody has been there" is very short sided and may or may not be good advice.
This is a many faceted technical area so even semi-educated pointed questions might serve you to make better decisions.

I said access point but what I really meant was a wifi to ethernet adapter. My mistake if that caused any confusion.

I figured going PoE would give me the most options considering I can provide access to my network negating the need for a wireless camera.

Thank you for the responses.

JP

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:

I said access point but what I really meant was a wifi to ethernet adapter.
My mistake if that caused any confusion.

I figured going PoE would give me the most options considering I can provide access to my network negating the need for a wireless camera.

See, was that so hard?
When you include some parameters you start to form a more coherent question.
That being said the example pbramlett gave is an excellent sample of the many IP cameras that will work well.
FWIW, most all IP cameras will work that way (Edge Recording and POE).
There are many other considerations when choosing an IP camera but you have to determine those needs as mind reading isn't one.

May I refer you a helpful tool we use in this industry > https://ipvm.com/camera-finder

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I could go educate myself on the topic of security cameras…but if I did that, I really wouldn’t need SIGforum’s advice, now would I?

Translation: "Learning is too hard."

quote:
Instead of reinventing the wheel, I’m hoping another member(s) has already been down this road and that they can save me the hassle of getting “educated somewhat” on this topic.

Which is why smschulz suggested "There have been a ton of threads and posts on this subject HERE ." (Emphasis added for the reading-comprehension-impaired.)

quote:
Just to be clear, I’m looking for an IP camera with PoE that I can run from my computer.

Which isn't even remotely close to your original question.

quote:
Otherwise, butt out, respectfully.

Maybe you should look up a HowTo on asking questions on a web forum? I'm pretty sure "Being obnoxious, respectfully" won't be one of the recommendations.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As smschulz mentioned, there is a lot more to setting up and buying good security cameras that most folks don't understand or pay attention to.

I frequent this site which is very good with a lot of knowledgeable folks and information. I recommend spending an hour or so there browsing.
IP CamTalk

One of the biggest mistakes I see is folks buying a box system from Costco, using all 2.8mm lens cameras which provide good overview but lack enough zoom and focus to actually ID anything or anyone. (and wireless cameras are generally not a good way to go)

The other common thing I see is folks showing off crisp clear daytime pictures of their new system, with no movement in the scene, and once they actually pull moving video, especially at night, they see moving blobs with lack of detail and all kinds of blur.

Any cheap $50 2MP camera can look good in daylight with no movement. What's important and much harder, is to install and configure a system that gives good crisp detail on movement and especially at night.

Facial recognition, License plate capture, etc is what is valuable to LE, not pretty overview pictures of a "blue car and the guy was wearing jeans".....

Here's some of my own camera captures, much of it just testing different settings and camera features but may give you some ideas..
https://www.youtube.com/user/bigredfish59

P.S- when watching Youtube videos, make sure and change the resolution setting on the video to 1080P otherwise you often get a very low resolution image.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I don't know but reading between the lines makes me think that Arlo may be a good choice. NetGear makes Arlo. Good luck to you.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Yes, I could go educate myself on the topic of security cameras…but if I did that, I really wouldn’t need SIGforum’s advice, now would I?

Translation: "Learning is too hard."

quote:
Instead of reinventing the wheel, I’m hoping another member(s) has already been down this road and that they can save me the hassle of getting “educated somewhat” on this topic.

Which is why smschulz suggested "There have been a ton of threads and posts on this subject HERE ." (Emphasis added for the reading-comprehension-impaired.)

quote:
Just to be clear, I’m looking for an IP camera with PoE that I can run from my computer.

Which isn't even remotely close to your original question.

quote:
Otherwise, butt out, respectfully.

Maybe you should look up a HowTo on asking questions on a web forum? I'm pretty sure "Being obnoxious, respectfully" won't be one of the recommendations.

Why do we need to give the guy such a hard time? He's looking for information on security cameras, the title of the thread isn't "hey guys, break my balls over a non-issue."

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We use various systems in our PI business. I have found the folks at Brickhouse Security to be very knowledgeable about whats out there for capability.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Why do we need to give the guy such a hard time?

Because smschulz rightfully, and without rancour, pointed-out to him the flaws in his question, at which point, rather than heed the advice given, he responded with "FU. Respectfully."

That's why.

Even after the OP's follow-up, I still can't figure out what it is he thinks he's trying to do.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Because smschulz rightfully, and without rancour, pointed-out to him the flaws in his question, at which point, rather than heed the advice given, he responded with "FU. Respectfully."

That's why.

Even after the OP's follow-up, I still can't figure out what it is he thinks he's trying to do.

maybe I'm wrong, but I dont think Arc was looking for an answer, he was telling everyone to cut the shit out.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigredfish:
Here's some of my own camera captures, much of it just testing different settings and camera features but may give you some ideas..
https://www.youtube.com/user/bigredfish59

P.S- when watching Youtube videos, make sure and change the resolution setting on the video to 1080P otherwise you often get a very low resolution image.
You have very clear resolution on your cameras both day and night. Well done.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to get a camera system for my house.
There's some good information in this thread and the links to the other threads too.

But I'm a tech-tard and now my head hurts...

I need a tech-tard system that works more gooder.

tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's why.

Listen.

This is a discussion forum.

If you open a thread where someone is asking a question, just to tell them to search the forum or worse yet "google it," you're being rude. Smschulz was rude, and it was downhill from there.

If this is the kind of reception people can expect when they ask for information or insight, perhaps we should just roll up the welcome mat.

You can help someone, or introduce them to other resources, without being a dong about it. Perhaps the mans question was vague because he doesn't know security cameras from potatoes? Who knows?

If people can't be civil, and helpful, they should be silent. This is a discussion forum and a community, and if people are just going to be jerks out of the gate when someone is asking for help, well, where does that lead?

We're all sitting in front of computers, in 2017 everyone knows about Google, and how to search for things. People ask questions because they want to talk to other humans.

So, be a human to you fellow humans.

Clear?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Arc, you are completely off base.
My comment was not rude ~ it may have been blunt but not rude.
It was obvious that the OP had zero knowledge of the subject ~ that is OK but the issue was that he did not want to do any work or research at all on this highly technical subject leading him to ask questions that made no sense.
I merely suggested to get a little knowledge on the subject to ask a question that had any clarity at all.
All suggestion were to aid in making a competent decision.
Especially when there were thread after thread and post after post with many details on the subject.
But the OP did not even want to look at them, did not even try ~ it was too much work.
{sigh}
I know the typical thread you probably like "is this any good?" followed up by the typical answer "I never had a problem with it". Confused