SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can One Use Sandpaper to Clean a Ceramic Toilet Bowl?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can One Use Sandpaper to Clean a Ceramic Toilet Bowl? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I would consider what using acid on metal pipes would do. Mine are copper and cast iron. Id never dump muriatic acid down my drains. I dropped some metal in muriatic acid once just to see what happens. It was impressive.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20808 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
wreckdiver has it right.

Acid is the go to cleaner for a lot of landlords between tenants on crusty toilets and works extremely well. I used it dozens of times during my plumbing days. It will effortlessly dissolve the crud in the holes and jets where it is impossible to manually clean. Soak and occasionally dip from the bowl and pour back down the flapper hole.
It is harmless to CHINA fixtures, like most toilets, but never use it on enamaled fixtures like enameled steel sinks or tubs. It will destroy the finish. The acid strength reduces fairly quickly with water flush or dilution. A 50 /50 mix with water will work, and is mostly neutralized by the scale it is removing unless you have grossly overdosed it. (Think vinegar and baking soda reaction, self neutralizing, sort of)

However, due to potential safety issues I don't recommend it's use by amateurs inside their occupied home. If you do... rubber gloves and eye pro... open windows FIRST, before you start.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Not sure if it would work but I use bar keeper’s friend to clean up a variety of surfaces. Might be worth checking out and it’s super cheap at places like Target.

^^^This, but don't buy from Target.... Lol

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Swimming pool industry has an acid substitute. It is much more friendly than muriatic.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Walmart, buy 2 or 3 gallons of white vinegar, turn off water & empty toilet bowl, pour in vinegar & let it sit for a few hours, presto all clean!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Go to Walmart, buy 2 or 3 gallons of white vinegar, turn off water & empty toilet bowl, pour in vinegar & let it sit for a few hours, presto all clean!

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I use a wet/dry 600 grit. Clean the bowl, squirt in some more cleaner, don some gloves (if you are a wussy. I have had my hands in more shitters then I can count) and gently scrub the ring. You can feel the buildup. The first few minutes you will not think you are doing anything but soon enough the ring will start to disappear. Keep scrubbing and the ring will be gone. You can feel when you hit the actual bowl. Depending on how bad your water is this can a an annual or bi-annual thing. And it never damages the bowl.

USMC field days. It still works lol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should add that a great way to keep your toilet clean is a product called Flush & Sparkle made by Fluidmaster, available on Amazon.

I connects to your fill tube and to the overflow. It has easy to change chlorine cartridges, but only treats the bowl, therefore saving damage to tank parts. I have not had to clean our toilets since I started using them.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post