SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can One Use Sandpaper to Clean a Ceramic Toilet Bowl?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can One Use Sandpaper to Clean a Ceramic Toilet Bowl? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
As above, trickles of water has left scale on the bowl. A sponge and Lime-a-way is too slow. Can fine grit sandpaper be used? How effective is that pumice stick? TIA.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I do it about once a year with 600 grit, works perfectly.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Remove toilet to outdoors and use hydrochloric acid,) (muriatic acid) to clean the bowl. Hose off thoroughly and reinstall with a new wax ring and valve guts.

Sandpaper sounds a bit much. Plus, your putting fine scratchets in the ceramic that allow water deposits to cling more easily.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I would think the acidic etching is about as "damaging" to the finish as really fine sandpaper...

I would agree - either way - you probably are asking for more stuff to stick to the bowl...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
How about replacing the whole thing ?

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I've done it, so yes.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Steel wool may be less abrasive yet capable of scouring the crap, I mean scale, off of the bowl.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
A pumice stone has worked well for me

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it would work but I use bar keeper’s friend to clean up a variety of surfaces. Might be worth checking out and it’s super cheap at places like Target.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
+1 for the pumice stone

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Steel wool may be less abrasive yet capable of scouring the crap, I mean scale, off of the bowl.
Mike

This makes more sense to me than sandpaper. That is based on no experience.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fine grit sandpaper works very well. Bar Keepers Friend doesn't work well at all. Sandpaper doesn't even remove the gloss, but takes care of the ring.

Never tried pumice stone, but it sounds like it might work as well.

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the business and use hydrochloric acid all the time, even at home. Doesn't harm the finish, but removes rust stains and excess calcium wonderfully.

I typically remove all water from the bowl, and then pour the acid down the overflow pipe in the tank. This helps clean the flush rim as it flows through.

Then I use a toilet brush to scrub the stains, stinks to high heaven, but does the job.

The product I use is called Sizzle, made by Hercules, and usually only found in plumbing distributors.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Use the pumice stone, not steel wool or sandpaper!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
The ceramic glazed finish is more akin to glass and I have done all 3 of my toilets in the way described earlier with great results. Steel wool will likely leave steel residue behind that will possibly cause rust streaking.

If using acid, pouring it down the overflow to cleanse the holes around the rim is smart but may take a fair amount of acid. Then consider where it goes when it's flushed. I am on septic and would not put that down the drain in any large quantities. If done outdoors, you can use minimal acid and roll the toilet on its side to work the acid into the holes, rotating every few minutes to allow the acid to work. Also for anyone who has stored pool acid indoors you have likely seen what the fumes do to any metallic objects or finishes.. It's not good.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
this stuff works great Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZE...er-ZUATB32/203487312

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
Don't think too deep about this one:

"Barkeeper's Friend" powder and the normal toilet brush and 5 minutes of time. Worked on my well water and 4x bowls.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Would ordinary CLR work?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I asked the same question just a bit ago - go figure!

Linky

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12398 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just checked and Bar Keeper's Friend does say it works on bath surfaces. I'm certain as to it's superb results on stainless and counter top stains. For $2 it's hard to go wrong. Very useful stuff.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post