SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>> Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can change the battery in my S5 in about 30 seconds.

That was then, Para. Samsung was one of the last, if not the last, to offer end-user-replaceable batteries. Unless I'm mistaken, even they no longer do so.

No Android device I've owned since my original HTC Sense had consumer-replaceable batteries. Nor, unlike Apple, was a battery replacement option available. Battery dead or dying? Buy a new one.

And our HTC Senses, like the iPhones, grew increasingly sluggish and increasingly power-hungry as the rare Android OS upgrades appeared.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
LG is still making phones with removable batteries.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
On most Android devices battery replacement isn't an option at any price,

Not true. It's true for flagship models, but most midrange android phones have easily replaceable batteries. The flagship models have gone to water resistant designs which are easier to do without removable batteries.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Since I joined here I 've dreamed of owning a Mac. All those "get a mac" replies in the windows botching threads drilled the idea into my skull. The polr man's solution was to get a hand me down iphone 3s that got me hooked if it wasn't for the despicable itunes that i hate with passion.

Payed a small fortune for a second hand iphone 4s that got its wifi numed at it's second or third update. Not a great idea to buy Apple in a country sith no company presence.
Now i own a 5s and sweat bullets thinking i might update it by mistake.

While i suffer from accute Apple envy i'm not sure it is the right path. They screwed me too many times already.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Since I joined here I 've dreamed of owning a Mac. All those "get a mac" replies in the windows botching threads drilled the idea into my skull. The polr man's solution was to get a hand me down iphone 3s that got me hooked if it wasn't for the despicable itunes that i hate with passion.

Payed a small fortune for a second hand iphone 4s that got its wifi numed at it's second or third update. Not a great idea to buy Apple in a country sith no company presence.

While i suffer from accute Apple envy i'm not sure it is the right path. They screwed me too many times already.

0-0

Kind of proves my point about Apple not purposely planning for obsolescence. Here you are actively buying and using a used iPhone, 3 or 4 generations old at the time you bought it (in a country with no company presence no less). How many LG or Samsung phones can claim that.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:

0-0

Kind of proves my point about Apple not purposely planning for obsolescence. Here you are actively buying and using a used iPhone, 3 or 4 generations old at the time you bought it (in a country with no company presence no less). How many LG or Samsung phones can claim that.

I went to Apple in the first place since I installed an update on my Samsung galaxy and the update ruined the phone. It would overheat and shut down with any continuous use, like using google maps or surfing the net. It got so bad at overheating that I had to remove the protective cover and hold it in front of the ac vent in the car to cool down, it worked great before the update and since it was always in a case looked brand new. I called Samsung and since it was outside of the warranty they said I would have to pay to get the update rolled back. I threw it away, swore off android and Samsung and bought an Apple.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
On most Android devices battery replacement isn't an option at any price,

Not true. It's true for flagship models, but most midrange android phones have easily replaceable batteries. The flagship models have gone to water resistant designs which are easier to do without removable batteries.

The removable batteries are NOT the problem when it comes to waterproofing a phone. The problem really is the external ports. Kyocera has been making totally waterproof (like down to 33' submerged waterproof) casio G shock phones sold by Verizon for over a decade as well as with gorilla glass screens that are virtually unbreakable.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Apple is reducing the price to replace a battery from $79 to $29 for 2018. More details also in this release:

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

A Message to Our Customers about iPhone Batteries and Performance
We’ve been hearing feedback from our customers about the way we handle performance for iPhones with older batteries and how we have communicated that process. We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize. There’s been a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, so we would like to clarify and let you know about some changes we’re making.

First and foremost, we have never — and would never — do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product, or degrade the user experience to drive customer upgrades. Our goal has always been to create products that our customers love, and making iPhones last as long as possible is an important part of that.

How batteries age
All rechargeable batteries are consumable components that become less effective as they chemically age and their ability to hold a charge diminishes. Time and the number of times a battery has been charged are not the only factors in this chemical aging process.

Device use also affects the performance of a battery over its lifespan. For example, leaving or charging a battery in a hot environment can cause a battery to age faster. These are characteristics of battery chemistry, common to lithium-ion batteries across the industry.

A chemically aged battery also becomes less capable of delivering peak energy loads, especially in a low state of charge, which may result in a device unexpectedly shutting itself down in some situations.

To help customers learn more about iPhone’s rechargeable battery and the factors affecting its performance, we’ve posted a new support article, iPhone Battery and Performance.

It should go without saying that we think sudden, unexpected shutdowns are unacceptable. We don’t want any of our users to lose a call, miss taking a picture or have any other part of their iPhone experience interrupted if we can avoid it.

Preventing unexpected shutdowns
About a year ago in iOS 10.2.1, we delivered a software update that improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE. With the update, iOS dynamically manages the maximum performance of some system components when needed to prevent a shutdown. While these changes may go unnoticed, in some cases users may experience longer launch times for apps and other reductions in performance.

Customer response to iOS 10.2.1 was positive, as it successfully reduced the occurrence of unexpected shutdowns. We recently extended the same support for iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus in iOS 11.2.

Of course, when a chemically aged battery is replaced with a new one, iPhone performance returns to normal when operated in standard conditions.

Recent user feedback
Over the course of this fall, we began to receive feedback from some users who were seeing slower performance in certain situations. Based on our experience, we initially thought this was due to a combination of two factors: a normal, temporary performance impact when upgrading the operating system as iPhone installs new software and updates apps, and minor bugs in the initial release which have since been fixed.

We now believe that another contributor to these user experiences is the continued chemical aging of the batteries in older iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s devices, many of which are still running on their original batteries.

Addressing customer concerns
We’ve always wanted our customers to be able to use their iPhones as long as possible. We’re proud that Apple products are known for their durability, and for holding their value longer than our competitors’ devices.

To address our customers’ concerns, to recognize their loyalty and to regain the trust of anyone who may have doubted Apple’s intentions, we’ve decided to take the following steps:

Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in late January and available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.
Early in 2018, we will issue an iOS software update with new features that give users more visibility into the health of their iPhone’s battery, so they can see for themselves if its condition is affecting performance.
As always, our team is working on ways to make the user experience even better, including improving how we manage performance and avoid unexpected shutdowns as batteries age.
At Apple, our customers’ trust means everything to us. We will never stop working to earn and maintain it. We are able to do the work we love only because of your faith and support — and we will never forget that or take it for granted.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
In my particular case, the iphone is a local symbol of status. But now i live in a neighborhood where mine is basically very old news.
My Apple experience is one of frustration. When i got the 3GS it turned out the apps I wanted were not supported by the obsolete OS. When i got the newer model the update nuked the wifi. Then i made my last try and got the 5s and now i hear the 32bit apps wil be discontinued.

Guess i should now dream of a different piece of Apple hardware. Heard mostly good things of their routers... poor dreamy me.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my particular case, the iphone is a local symbol of status. But now i live in a neighborhood where mine is basically very old news.
My Apple experience is one of frustration. When i got the 3GS it turned out the apps I wanted were not supported by the obsolete OS. When i got the newer model the update nuked the wifi. Then i made my last try and got the 5s and now i hear the 32bit apps wil be discontinued.

Guess i should now dream of a different piece of Apple hardware. Heard mostly good things of their routers... poor dreamy me.

0-0

Again, in fairness to Apple, you are buying hardware that is 3 or 4 generations old and experiencing some frustrations. And yes their routers are fantastic, but don't be disappointed when you buy a used one that has had 4 or 5 years of continuous 24/7 trouble free use and support, if you don't get another 5 years of trouble free use out of it.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
I'm 3 years with this iPhone 6 and the iOS has never been updated (iOS 8.1). The original battery seems to carry good juice, even though it shuts down when the battery meter shows good charge once in a while. 1/2 my apps don't work anymore, but I don't give a shit.

I made the mistake of "updating" the iOS (iOS 10.2) on my iPad and it's slow as fuck. So, I don't think it's just iPhones that are being fucked with by Apple.

I was gonna buy the iPhone X this month, but I'm getting a Cannondale instead. The iPhone X or whatever comes after is gonna have to wait until the iPhone 6 is almost dead

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
People ask me why I get the new iPhone every year and for me it’s simple...there’s not any single item in this world that gets as much use from me on a daily basis. For work, for pleasure, for information, for directions, to bank, to buy things, etc... I rarely use my computer as I can get things done faster on my phone. Since I am so reliant on it I always want it to be the best it can be. So I will continue to get the new phone every year. Plus with Verizon’s upgrade every year plan it’s pretty simple to do so. People will say “for $1100 you can get a nice gun”...and sure you can but I can buy a gun I shoot maybe once a month or a phone I use everyday. I never have to worry about the battery going bad. I never have to worry about it becomes obsolete or slowing down. For me it’s a necessity.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:

0-0

Is it the same in Buenos Aires? I know that in Santiago Chile most people have current generation iPhones. They have Apple stores too.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
I made the mistake of "updating" the iOS (iOS 10.2) on my iPad and it's slow as fuck. So, I don't think it's just iPhones that are being fucked with by Apple.

I've got 10.3.3 on both my iPhone 6S and my econo-iPad (9.7" 2017). They both work fine.

That being said: iOS 11.x has been one-disaster-after-another, so I'm holding off on that one until Apple gets it right.

Like Dusty78, but perhaps to a somewhat lesser degree, my wife and I depend upon our mobile devices at least as much as, and, in her case, more than, our desktop computers.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
In case you missed it.

I saw one member comment he had just paid the higher fee for a battery replacement. Apparently Apple is offering refunds upon request for that.

Also will replace a battery on request even if it passes their testing process.

SNIP:
Apple has since independently confirmed to MacRumors that it will agree to replace an eligible battery for a $29 fee, regardless of whether an official diagnostic test shows that it is still able to retain less than 80 percent of its original capacity.

SNIP:
Anecdotal reports also suggest that customers who paid $79 to have their battery replaced before the new pricing came into effect on Saturday, December 30, will receive a refund from Apple upon request.

Link.
https://forums.macrumors.com/t...nostic-test.2098675/

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
OK, so I have a question. Can someone please confirm these points?

1. I assume the software update that Apple installed on the iPhones can tell how old the battery in the phone is, and if it's too old, then it slows down the phone's processing speed to preserve the life of the battery.

2. By replacing the battery with a brand new one, this same software will then detect that it's a new battery and will immediately decide to restore the phone's processing speed back to normal.

Do I understand this correctly?

Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
OK, so I have a question. Can someone please confirm these points?

1. I assume the software update that Apple installed on the iPhones can tell how old the battery in the phone is, and if it's too old, then it slows down the phone's processing speed to preserve the life of the battery.

2. By replacing the battery with a brand new one, this same software will then detect that it's a new battery and will immediately decide to restore the phone's processing speed back to normal.
Chris

AS I Understand It.
Nothing to do with age or model of phone.
Based on output capacity of the battery, not how long it holds a charge, but rather how much power it can provide under max load. Also, this "feature" has likely been on the phone all along, and every other phone as well... for safety. I expect they just made it more aggressive due to complaints of phones overheating and shutting down.

1. The phone monitors the battery. If demand exceeds the output capacity of a degraded battery the battery can dangerously overheat and the phone COULD catch fire, explode or shut down. Most likely just shut down. The software in question simply degrades the performance of the phone slightly to match the battery output capacity, thus allowing it to safely continue to operate.

2. As I understand it, yes.

Perhaps they got too aggressive... erring on the side of safety... the issue could be mitigated somewhat in future updates if they find that to be the case.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Is the $29 going to be around for awhile?

My 7+ battery is at 86% of design capacity (2500/2910 mAh)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the $29 going to be around for awhile?

It will be around till the end of 2018. If you plan on keeping your phone past 2018 I'd wait till later in the year to have the battery swapped for $29. That's my plan unless something happens to the phone before then.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

Here's an update. I noticed my iPhone 6 had slowed down a few months before this story broke and didn't know why. Then after I installed the latest IOS update it *really* slowed down. So I went to the local Apple Store and they ran diagnostics on my battery. They said it had 98% life remaining which is really good. They also said there's no guarantee that a new battery would improve anything. (I knew that was bogus.) I said I wanted the new battery deal. So they had to order it and it came in a few weeks later, and yesterday I got it installed. My phone is pretty-much night and day improvement in performance. No more lagging and slowness. It was a great improvement. I'd highly recommend anyone with an iPhone 6 running the latest IOS get the new battery for $29. Hope this is helpful.

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post