SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>> Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If you're not happy with your phone's performance, perhaps you can do a facotry reset, which I assume will roll the OS back.

NOTE: I'm not saying that's the way to go, but maybe worth investigating.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
If you're not happy with your phone's performance, perhaps you can do a facotry reset, which I assume will roll the OS back.

NOTE: I'm not saying that's the way to go, but maybe worth investigating.

No it doesn’t. A hard reset does a software reset, an IOS update is a firmware upgrade.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being accused of drifting away from the thread, I have a question regarding battery life in cell phones in general.

I typically recharge my phone when it reaches 50-60% or so. I've been told that will lower the life span of the battery in the long term and that I should wait till it reaches 10-20%. Is there any truth in that advice?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
At the risk of being accused of drifting away from the thread, I have a question regarding battery life in cell phones in general.

I typically recharge my phone when it reaches 50-60% or so. I've been told that will lower the life span of the battery in the long term and that I should wait till it reaches 10-20%. Is there any truth in that advice?

Jim

I've been using this iphone 6 since 12/2014. I like to charge the phone when the battery gets low, usually < 10%, and I charge it up to 100% nearly every time. I don't like incomplete charge cycles.

My observation is the battery performs almost as good as day 1.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MY iPhone 6 Plus is 2.5 years old and I started to experience rapid depletion of the battery, and very slow performance.
Just got back from Mr. Fix It, where he replaced the battery with a new fresh one. It took him all of 10 minutes and now the phone appears to charge quicker......I will update after I have run it a couple days.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Apple store will sodomize you, so I am looking for alternatives sources that can do it reasonably priced.

Tim Cook will do that for free.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsd1220:
quote:

Jim

I've been using this iphone 6 since 12/2014. I like to charge the phone when the battery gets low, usually < 10%, and I charge it up to 100% nearly every time. I don't like incomplete charge cycles.

I charge my iPhone 5 every which way possible. Battery is still fine with heavy use.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
quote:

Jim

I charge my iPhone 5 every which way possible. Battery is still fine with heavy use.

Thanks for the info. I just got a new LG G6 with no removable battery and hope to keep it for 3-4 years. My previous phones were Samsung S series that had removable batteries and I just kept extra on hand.

As a side note, I'm really loving this phone and I will never go down the Apple drain.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Tell me another device that behaves like this?

Android products. Google “android lag” and read all about it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
quote:

Jim

Thanks for the info. I just got a new LG G6 with no removable battery and hope to keep it for 3-4 years. My previous phones were Samsung S series that had removable batteries and I just kept extra on hand.

As a side note, I'm really loving this phone and I will never go down the Apple drain.

Jim

So you’re the guy that bought the LG G6 Razz

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's NOT the battery, that's an excuse.

I bought my iPhone 7 just over a year ago. It has had an apple battery case on it since new and between the 2 will last 3 entire days with a lot of use before needing a charge. But the phone battery itself is almost always on 100% (it uses the case battery first). After the last update it slowed down considerably and I didn't know why until I came on Sigforum.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

I bought my iPhone 7 just over a year ago. It has had an apple battery case on it since new and ... the phone battery itself is almost always on 100% (it uses the case battery first).

All that doesn't matter. The phone "knows" the "wear condition" of the internal battery. I would almost bet the rent that's the metric they use. If so: Charge level does not matter.

There's an app you can install that will tell you the wear state of the internal battery. I forget what it's called. My 6S was "new old stock" or the like. Still had the plastic on the glass. Nonetheless: Battery "wear" had it down to something like 85% or the like? Whereas my brand new iPad was at something like 98%.

Just looked: "Battery Life" it's called. Claims my iPad is at 96% and my iPhone 6S is at 87%. Charge level is inconsequential.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Apple would have issued a news release noting the software change and informed users that a new battery would restore performance it would be no big deal. But now the question is what else are they not saying about software upgrades?

You have to install it to find out what has changed! Has a familiar sound to me.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned/used iPhones since the 3GS, I always put them on the charger Every nite regardless of % of battery remaining. Never have any problems, also install updates as soon as they are released.
Currently have an 8S and have never noticed any "slow down"..

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It boils down to this let us do the toggling! If I am experiencing a weak battery let me decide if my cpu should be toggled down to save battery. Let me decide if I need a new battery, don’t just toggle down my cpu on my phone to save my battery. These phones at running us $700-1000 I want control of my purchases . I suspected this was the case for some time. If they were doing this to save my battery life and not for financial reasons why not put his out in the open, explain it let me decide and choose. I say it is BS they did this now they come clean once they get caught. I also have suspected this happening with my IPad. Screw Apple

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:
I have owned/used iPhones since the 3GS, I always put them on the charger Every nite regardless of % of battery remaining. Never have any problems, also install updates as soon as they are released.
Currently have an 8S and have never noticed any "slow down"..

Such an animal does not exist.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
(/QUOTE) As a side note, I'm really loving this phone and I will never go down the Apple drain.

Jim[/QUOTE]

So you’re the guy that bought the LG G6 Razz[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was me. At less than half the price of the S8+ or the iPhone X with basically the same performance and an awesome camera, it was a no brainer.

Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Tell me another device that behaves like this?

Android products. Google “android lag” and read all about it.

https://youtu.be/E1besnW-Oww

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

I bought my iPhone 7 just over a year ago. It has had an apple battery case on it since new and ... the phone battery itself is almost always on 100% (it uses the case battery first).

All that doesn't matter. The phone "knows" the "wear condition" of the internal battery. I would almost bet the rent that's the metric they use. If so: Charge level does not matter.

There's an app you can install that will tell you the wear state of the internal battery. I forget what it's called. My 6S was "new old stock" or the like. Still had the plastic on the glass. Nonetheless: Battery "wear" had it down to something like 85% or the like? Whereas my brand new iPad was at something like 98%.

Just looked: "Battery Life" it's called. Claims my iPad is at 96% and my iPhone 6S is at 87%. Charge level is inconsequential.

Ok, but you don't understand the battery case. Battery wear is from charge cycles mainly. I think after 500 charge cycles the batteries start to degrade. With the Apple Battery case, the phone uses the entire battery case PRIOR to using the phone's battery. So my phone battery is always at 100% (because I usually charge it everynight). So the phones battery gets degraded much much less, because it's never being discharged, always the apple battery case first.

Update: I just downloaded the battery wear level app, and it said 3% wear..wear level very low.......so my battery is at 97% new. AND, the latest IOS update slowed my iPhone 7 down noticeably.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Ok, but you don't understand the battery case. Battery wear is from charge cycles mainly. I think after 500 charge cycles the batteries start to degrade. With the Apple Battery case, the phone uses the entire battery case PRIOR to using the phone's battery. So my phone battery is always at 100% (because I usually charge it everynight). So the phones battery gets degraded much much less, because it's never being discharged, always the apple battery case first.

Update: I just downloaded the battery wear level app, and it said 3% wear..wear level very low.......so my battery is at 97% new. AND, the latest IOS update slowed my iPhone 7 down noticeably.

The phone runs on the battery all the time. Even if plugged in. So if the phone is on, battery wear is happening.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post