SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>> Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a tempest in a teapot to me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you have owned any generation of iPhone and a new iOS came out and you uprgraded the old phone to the new iOS you knew it was happening.
I have had an iPhone since the 3g I think.
It has happened to every phone. If you think it is for any other reason than trying to sell the new version you are pretty naive.
It is not just Apple that does it. Most electronics folks do it I have a couple of older Rokus that became worthless with a software upgrade that worked just fine prior to the upgrade.
They learned it from the text book publishers. Change a few paragraphs here and there to sell new versions.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I replaced the battery in my iPhone 5 more than a year ago because it didn't have the stamina to make it through a work day, and I've not experienced any throttling to my knowledge. I was careful to purchase the highest quality battery from a reputable source I could find, though. I find that generic batteries regardless of type or size are usually crap, and by doing so this time, may have avoided the deliberate throttling by Apple.

I had quite fair amount of experience with throttling because we have AT&T. They got caught throttling their grandfathered unlimited data plan customers by the Feds and had to pay a very steep fine and settlement to users.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
They should hang Steve Jobs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
^^^ lemme grab a shovel...

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Planned obsolescence, many do it. Doesn't surprise me one bit..friggin' Apple!!!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If you read other articles on the subject, it’s really no different than “android lag”.

Except you can install any OS you want on your andriods...
That doesn’t mean jack. I can’t install Honda software on my BMW, BMW must be evil.... If you don’t like iOS, that’s fine. No one mandates that you have to use it. (BTW you can choose to jailbreak an iPhone)

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just change the damn battery. It works.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone change the battery themselves, (how hard to do) or where to bring it?
The Apple store will sodomize you, so I am looking for alternatives sources that can do it reasonably priced.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This is BS. I shouldn't have to do anything in order to keep at least the level of performance when I first purchased the device.

To intentionally and artificially slow down the device over time to encourage the purchase of a new device reeks of an absence of honor and integrity. To deny it for so long when caught is corrupt.

There ought to be a HUGE class action suit here.

I buy Apple not because I like it, just hate Google more.

Silicon Valley has lost their fucking minds. Anything for a buck.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
Anyone change the battery themselves, (how hard to do) or where to bring it?
The Apple store will sodomize you, so I am looking for alternatives sources that can do it reasonably priced.

$80 to replace the battery doesn't strike me as "sodomizing" you.

That's one reason I switched to iThings: Because Apple would relatively economically replace batteries--thus extending the useful life of their mobile devices.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
This is BS. I shouldn't have to do anything in order to keep at least the level of performance when I first purchased the device.

To intentionally and artificially slow down the device over time to encourage the purchase of a new device ...

Did you actually read any of the tech reports on this issue, or are you just assuming the worst opinions of what they did, and why, are the truth?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Based on my experiences, this is not battery related. Behavior does not sound consistent with expected behavior as a battery ages, at least not to the extent of the performance being lost.

If an app took 3 seconds to start when the device was new but now takes 30 seconds, tell me that I need to replace the battery if that's the case. Don't slow down my device to the point of frustration without at least telling me that your doing it.

And I still call BS on the battery story. Either that or their engineers suck. Tell me another device that behaves like this? PC's?

It's fine that you like Apple products. And perhaps I'm just a little more sensitive right now because of the 11.2.1 update and now my battery doesn't last more than 6 hours. But I don't trust Apple more than I could throw them. And this story just reeks.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Based on my experiences, this is not battery related. Behavior does not sound consistent with expected behavior as a battery ages, ...

Still didn't read the tech reports covering the issue, I see.

posted Hide Post
Yet another 'do as I say, not as I do' moment from a company that was in favor of 'net nuetrality'.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
They should hang Steve Jobs.

I say, lets string him up by his....Well, you know the rest. Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

There is probably an inkling of tech behind what they are saying -- otherwise they will have no cause behind a class action suit should one be filed.

But if there is a concern with the battery:
1) let me experience the shutdowns or whatever problems they are trying to prevent. Let me make a decision to either accept a performance issue or replace the battery. Doing what they did was underhanded.

2) My last iphone (still using in house on wifi) battery life still lasts a long time. But it takes 10x longer (at least) to open the same apps from when the device was new. How is battery degradation being detected? How degraded must the battery charging capacity be before shutdowns start to occur? Why don't I see any battery capacity degradation yet very noticeable performance degradation?

3) Performance and function is related. Don't degrade function just because a battery has outlived it's life. Tell me that I need to replace the battery. Leading me to think that I should just replace the phone is underhanded. It's also very unethical to slow down my device without my knowledge, especially without cause. Demonstrate the cause to me first before taking these types of actions.

I understand conceptually that devices may have problems if the battery can't supply the necessary power levels / current levels as the battery degrades over time. My devices show no signs of battery degradation. So explain why I should see performance degradation.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

There is probably an inkling of tech behind what they are saying -- otherwise they will have no cause behind a class action suit should one be filed.

But if there is a concern with the battery:
1) let me experience the shutdowns or whatever problems they are trying to prevent. Let me make a decision to either accept a performance issue or replace the battery. Doing what they did was underhanded.

2) My last iphone (still using in house on wifi) battery life still lasts a long time. But it takes 10x longer (at least) to open the same apps from when the device was new. How is battery degradation being detected? How degraded must the battery charging capacity be before shutdowns start to occur? Why don't I see any battery capacity degradation yet very noticeable performance degradation?

3) Performance and function is related. Don't degrade function just because a battery has outlived it's life. Tell me that I need to replace the battery. Leading me to think that I should just replace the phone is underhanded. It's also very unethical to slow down my device without my knowledge, especially without cause. Demonstrate the cause to me first before taking these types of actions.

I understand conceptually that devices may have problems if the battery can't supply the necessary power levels / current levels as the battery degrades over time. My devices show no signs of battery degradation. So explain why I should see performance degradation.

Yes because people wouldn’t be her complaining if millions upon millions of older phones just started shutting off during normal usage all around the world. I’m sure people who depend on their phones for life and family would all take the same approach as you. Some people just want their devices to work.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Some people just want their devices to work.

That's the bottom line. Apple's goals with all its devices is that they should "just work." With as little complexity and as little end-user knowledge of how they work, or how to make them work, as necessary.

TBH: That model does not suit me well, because I'm an IT guy. But I understand it.

Like I said: IMO this is a tempest in a teapot. Would it have been better for Apple to have put a user-configurable setting in the phone, and defaulted it to "go easy on the battery" mode? Perhaps. But I can't fault them for the way they went.

posted Hide Post
Read on some site that they confirmed the throttling starts when the battery has 80% of its capacity left. 80% of capacity is still a very usable battery.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
But that's my point a well.

A device that now takes 30+ seconds to load an app that used to take 3 seconds is broken to me. And I have no idea why.

If there is an issue with the battery, especially if I'm not seeing a manifested issue, tell to replace the battery. Don't just effectively break my device.

Again, I'm not even sure if my device has any issue. Yet it's 10x slower than when new.

Is it so much to ask that just to have some sort of notification -- your battery has outlived its life. Suggest you replace it or upgrade to a new device. Function will be degraded for dying batteries.

Instead, they kept silent and just lead people to accept a perf degradation (that may or may not have been needed) and or drive them to upgrade when all they needed was a battery.

I purchased a new phone because the old phone was too slow (relegated to streaming music like an iPod at home using wifi). I could have continued to use the old phone if I just replaced the battery? And not even sure I had a battery issue anyway -- it still lasts a long time (maybe longer than my current phone even, especially with 11.2.1).