SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple caught RED Handed >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
I like Apple products but Conspiracy Theorists were correct. God Bless Smile

https://www.aol.com/article/fi...acy-theory/23313615/

Apple on Wednesday admitted it's been secretly throttling the performance of older iPhones.
The admission outraged even some of the company's biggest fans.
Customers have good reason to be distrustful of the company and to suspect its motives.

Apple has long inspired an almost religious devotion among customers and tech-aficionados — but it just seriously undermined its fans' faith and loyalty.

The company on Wednesday admitted what some people have long suspected: that it has been secretly stifling the performance of older iPhones.
Critics have accused the company in the past, based on anecdotal evidence, of purposely slowing phones to compel users to upgrade to the latest model. While Apple admitted to the practice on Wednesday, it stressed that it did so for a purely altruistic reason — to prevent older phones from shutting down unexpectedly.
The justification hasn't mollified Apple's outraged fans. If anything, the company's statement has further stoked the conspiracy theories — and for good reason.
Apple was caught red-handed
By the company's own admission, it's been throttling the performance of iPhones since last year.
Apple hasn't explained why it didn't disclose the practice until now, after GeekBench released charts based on its data that showed how older iPhones were not performing as quickly as they had when they launched.
Apple's secrecy, a badge of honor when it comes to unveiling new products, is certain to encourage distrust in this situation. Apple comes across as an organization that was intentionally hiding something — something it only acknowledged when it was caught red-handed.
If Apple didn't acknowledge that it was throttling older phones until one year after it started doing so, what else is the company not telling customers? Why should iPhone users believe the company's explanation for why it's throttling phones? And why should they believe that it only started doing that a year ago?
Such questions might sound like the ravings of conspiracy theorists. But in this case, the conspiracy mongers were proven right — Apple was slowing down their phones. And there are rational reasons to think the company might not be offering a full explanation for why.
The iPhone maker has a big reason to push customers to upgrade
The fact is that Apple has an incentive to push users to upgrade; it makes money selling new devices, after all. And the company has a history of artificially making older devices look inferior to new ones. The iPhone 4, for example was perfectly capable of running Siri, but Apple reserved that feature for the model that replaced it, the iPhone 4s. Likewise, the camera in the iPhone 3G was capable of shooting video, but Apple didn't turn that feature on and instead made video recording the signature capability of its next device, the iPhone 3GS.
Meanwhile, planned obsolescence is a long-standing practice in the tech and broader manufacturing industries.
Apple may well be completely honest in explaining its motives for throttling phones and about the timeframe when it started doing so. But many folks just aren't going to believe that.
"For years, we’ve reassured people that no, Apple doesn’t secretly slow down their older iPhones to make them buy new ones," blogger and iPhone developer Marco Arment said in a tweet on Wednesday. He added in a follow-up Twitter post: "The reputation damage from secretly slowing down old iPhones, regardless of the reason, will likely linger for a decade."
Whatever the company's motives for throttling iPhones, it should have made clear long ago what it was doing, if only for public relations reasons. If it had told users what it was doing when it introduced the throttling feature — or heck, even better, when it first started seriously considering building the feature into the iPhone's operating system — it would have been able to shape the discussion and maybe even improve how the feature works.
Instead, it's now drawing customers' criticism, distrust, and ire. And it has no one to blame but itself.

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I knew it, I knew it, it was too good to be true!! Should have never bought the iPhone X...Hate the Apple Mad

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If you read other articles on the subject, it’s really no different than “android lag”.

I don’t have a problem with it if it keeps my phone from crashing. A minut delay is good for battery life and sustained performance.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Also it’s been shown that these phones that were slowed down will speed back up if you replace the battery with a new one.

Apple says slower performance of older iPhones is intentional

Rob LeFebvre, 7h ago
Mobile

The company extended iOS code that prevent sudden battery shutdowns to newer devices this year.

You're not alone if you've noticed a slowdown in the performance of your older iPhone. The thing is, it may be more related to your battery than the phone itself. After a post on Reddit and a followup by benchmarking software Geekbench's founder, Apple told TechCrunch that it released a fix for premature shutdowns last year for iPhone 6, 6s and SE by smoothing out CPU demand when a battery is older, cold, or just low on juice. Apple also said that it recently extended this slowdown feature to iPhone 7 devices running iOS 11.2, and plans to "add support for other products in the future."

A couple of weeks ago, Reddit user TeckFire ran some CPU benchmarks (via Geekbench) on his iPhone 6 Plus before and after he replaced its battery. He found that CPU performance was significantly better after a battery replacement, which he attributed to Apple slowing down phones with low capacity batteries. A week later, Geekbench's own John Poole wrote a post that pointed to Apple's involvement. In essence, Poole says that Apple introduced code to iOS that limits iPhone performance when battery charge is low, which could be interpreted as a CPU issue leading to users replacing their iPhone instead of their battery. While this may not be Apple's intent in this case, it's not hard to see users being confused and blaming the company for planned obsolescence practices, especially as Apple benefits from user confusion and iPhone upgrades.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...iphones-intentional/

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well Droid is waiting for you then... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Get the fire hoses.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If you read other articles on the subject, it’s really no different than “android lag”.

Except you can install any OS you want on your andriods...

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Also it’s been shown that these phones that were slowed down will speed back up if you replace the battery with a new one.

Rob LeFebvre, 7h ago
Mobile

The company extended iOS code that prevent sudden battery shutdowns to newer devices this year.

You're not alone if you've noticed a slowdown in the performance of your older iPhone. The thing is, it may be more related to your battery than the phone itself. After a post on Reddit and a followup by benchmarking software Geekbench's founder, Apple told TechCrunch that it released a fix for premature shutdowns last year for iPhone 6, 6s and SE by smoothing out CPU demand when a battery is older, cold, or just low on juice. Apple also said that it recently extended this slowdown feature to iPhone 7 devices running iOS 11.2, and plans to "add support for other products in the future."

A couple of weeks ago, Reddit user TeckFire ran some CPU benchmarks (via Geekbench) on his iPhone 6 Plus before and after he replaced its battery. He found that CPU performance was significantly better after a battery replacement, which he attributed to Apple slowing down phones with low capacity batteries. A week later, Geekbench's own John Poole wrote a post that pointed to Apple's involvement. In essence, Poole says that Apple introduced code to iOS that limits iPhone performance when battery charge is low, which could be interpreted as a CPU issue leading to users replacing their iPhone instead of their battery. While this may not be Apple's intent in this case, it's not hard to see users being confused and blaming the company for planned obsolescence practices, especially as Apple benefits from user confusion and iPhone upgrades.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...iphones-intentional/

NO WONDER why my IPhone 7 has been acting noticeably slow lately. AND, the damn thing is, I have the apple battery case and my phone battery is almost always 100%......BASTARDS

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Yep - I know it when my 'long in the tooth' 6 seemed to move even slower than I move. Time for a X.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Meh.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Of course it's true.

Anything to sell more doodads and further spread the virus known as consumerism.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
my wife's 6 has been giving her shit lately. if it werent for her apple watch, I'd convince her to swap to Android.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Sensationalst article. The writer should give evidence as to why Apple's claim that they throttle older phones to improve stability is false, instead of just saying "they kept it a SECRET, so their reason must be evil!"

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Regardless of their stated reason, believing it isn't also done to drive sales of new phones is naive beyond belief.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I am afraid I don’t have any openings in my outrage calendar until at least Feb 2018...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The reason is irrelevant. That fact that they DID it is illustrative of Apple's mindset towards their customers and is THE reason there will never be an Apple product in my house.

I formed this opinion when forced to deal with Apple while doing IT work for the school system. Their attitude just pisses me off.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
After Apple destroyed the performance of my iPhone 3G with a software update (switched to a galaxy s3 after that), I never updated my iPhone 6 once the 6S was released. I knew the same would happen with all the updates. Paranoia was justified, it seems.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The 3GS hand me down got me hooked. Software update nuked it. I bought a very expensive 4s that another update made autistic by murdering the wifi, still dependant I bleeded flr an 5s that is dying of a slow death in this country with no support, warranty or whatsoever.

Looking at a Android phone when Apple decides to put me out of my misery.
Hate itunes with passion, who wrote this shit

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

I think they mean if you pay Apple to replace the battery. I replaced the battery in my iPhone once when I was having trouble with it. Battery didn't fix it, so I took it to the Apple store. They informed me they would not touch my phone because I had replaced the battery myself. Sorry, there's nothing we can do for you, and we won't sell you a battery. Tough shit.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post