SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Craftsman Tool Warranty
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craftsman Tool Warranty Login/Join 
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The few Craftsman tools I have broken in past years were replaced with the correct US part. I have some ratchets from the 70's that if I broke, I wouldn't hand over to get a free "new" one. I would probably keep the old one and replace it. They have spun many a bolt on a lot of cars and motorcycles - wouldn't just give up my old friend of many years.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Unfortunately, the new Chinese Craftsman ratchet that you got won't last 36 years, like its better quality predecessor.

Yeah, but it's a heck of a lot better than the 36 year old BROKEN rachet that he had!!!

My Dad has several of the real Craftsman ratchets that are in pristine shape and I can definitely see and feel the difference but Chinese replacement or not, it is nice that they still stand by the product

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
I bought a Craftsman Industrial, made in the USA, set recently. The ratchets are absolutely terrible. Light, small, and they feel cheap. OK for tight spaces maybe... but they definitely need replaced.

The sockets are fine.

OTOH, I've been very pleased with the Craftsman Premium China-made 1/2" ratchet (like the one pictured up thread). Nice smooth action and nicely plated.

No matter where they're made, I'm afraid Craftsman has long ago passed its peak.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Last month I brought back a 1/2" drive ratchet which had failed, after the usual jokes about bruised knuckles they brought a new one out, the oil port caught my eye.

I asked if this was made in China, they responded in the affirmative, and told me if I wanted to spend some money they had ratchets made in USA.

I told them I was returning one made in America and expected the same in return, that got me nowhere.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check out Tekton. They're making a real effort at becoming what Craftsman was.

http://toolguyd.com/tekton-usa-screwdrivers/

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This thread inspired me to go to the garage and pull out this old Craftsman ratchet. From the 30's or 40's. Still works fine. I try to bring it with me when I exchange other Craftsman tools in an attempt to stump the tool department guys.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
bubba, that is AWESOME! Long live CRAFTSMAN.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I once witnessed a guy with a bad ratchet take his in for warranty. The employee opened up a drawer of rebuilt ones and found one similar and swapped him that one. I assume he then rebuilt the broken one. I always just assumed you received a new one.

I've taken 2 or 3 water nozzles back for being broken. Each time they get cheaper and cheaper, so they go back sooner. More plastic parts or softer metal that distorts after too many car washes. I finally got around to using the most recent swap out, you can't adjust it to a certain spray pattern which it holds no matter how much or little you squueze, it is variable to how much you squeeze. I'm not impressed but it still washed the car.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I knew a guy who found a Craftsman crescent wrench in an alley (telephone company lineman). It was missing the screw adjustment. He took it to a Sears and they replaced it. No wonder they have financial problems.

I'm confused... good warranty/customer service is what led to their financial problems? I think larger factors are the cause.

I have USA made Craftsman tools. One of the ratchets broke recently. I brought it to the local Sears and they replaced the mechanism and left the rest of the tool intact. It works for what I need it for.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Those warranties don't cost them very much. I worked for years many years ago. We would get the kits in to replace the gears in the ratchets. Took about 10 minutes to do each one. The body remained the same. We would replace them and those would be swapped out.

They're not giving you a brand new ratchet. The sockets they will give you brand new but I highly doubt they cost much.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
FYI, Home Depot will gladly replace your broken Craftsman tools with their Husky brand. I don't claim one any better than another, but that can be more convenient than going to Sears store.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on a job with a co-worker when he broke his 1/2" drive craftsman ratchet.

We went to the local Sears that evening for an exchange. The kid at the register pulled another one off the peg board behind the counter and scanned the barcode which rang up at 10 cents. My co-worker and I looked at each other, as neither one of us had ever been charged anything for replacements over the years.

He proceeds to say to the kid can he have 10 more of those. The kid scans them and says, that will be $1.10....WTF??

This is one of the reasons for their demise IMHO. Most of the employees are clueless, or just don't give a crap. This was in southern Cali BTW.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Damn, I hope Sears is still around, should I need to replace the guts in my two 1/2-inchers. I guess, ebay and such might work too. I love my old 'I-beam' USA made ratchets; one small head, other regular, and they are tough and stout as hell. Not the most comfortable ratchet if you turn em all day, but you won't flex one.

I service them regularly, the teeth look good, and the action is smooth. To me, these are what Craftsman ratchets look like, and perform.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
FYI, Home Depot will gladly replace your broken Craftsman tools with their Husky brand. I don't claim one any better than another, but that can be more convenient than going to Sears store.

What? If a bring a broken Craftsman tool to Home Depot, they will exchange it for a similar Husky tool, for free? WTF? Why would a company give free tools away for a broken competitors product?

Edit: I found this on the Husky Wikipedia page:
" In the past, Home Depot had a program offering consumers an exchange of their broken Sears Craftsman or other brand of hand tool for a comparable Husky tool at no charge. This program has since been discontinued."

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
Damn, I hope Sears is still around, should I need to replace the guts in my two 1/2-inchers.

Sears wont be around for much longer.

Maybe try and find rebuild kits now, before they are all gone. Then you can rebuild them yourself.

Maybe you can buy them or sweet talk a kit away from your Sears tool guys. Or perhaps on eBay.

Or throw it in the trash and buy an SK, Proto, Snap On, Wright, or other american brand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I once witnessed a guy with a bad ratchet take his in for warranty. The employee opened up a drawer of rebuilt ones and found one similar and swapped him that one. I assume he then rebuilt the broken one. I always just assumed you received a new one.

I've taken 2 or 3 water nozzles back for being broken. Each time they get cheaper and cheaper, so they go back sooner. More plastic parts or softer metal that distorts after too many car washes. I finally got around to using the most recent swap out, you can't adjust it to a certain spray pattern which it holds no matter how much or little you squueze, it is variable to how much you squeeze. I'm not impressed but it still washed the car.

The kids that helped me said that the "other" type (USA?) can he rebuilt but mine was no serviceable

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Sears wont be around for much longer.

Maybe try and find rebuild kits now, before they are all gone. Then you can rebuild them yourself.

Maybe you can buy them or sweet talk a kit away from your Sears tool guys. Or perhaps on eBay.

Stanley Black & Decker bought Craftsman. I doubt those kits will go away anytime soon.

They can be picked up on eBay for $6-10 each kit.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Had a probably 35 year old Craftsman 1/2" ratchet go out. (Broke it big time and would rather have rebuilt it but they have no parts, they said). Old school heavy.

Here's what I got as a gratis replacement-

You got a great deal! This ratchet is a USA built tool that can be rebuilt with a Matco rebuild kit. That is an expensive ratchet they gave you.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Had a probably 35 year old Craftsman 1/2" ratchet go out. (Broke it big time and would rather have rebuilt it but they have no parts, they said). Old school heavy.

Here's what I got as a gratis replacement-

You got a great deal! This ratchet is a USA built tool that can be rebuilt with a Matco rebuild kit. That is an expensive ratchet they gave you.

That's exactly the style ratchet and exactly what they replacement it with.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Keep the internals lubricated with a wee bit of very light weight machine oil, or even better use air tool oil.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post