SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Craftsman Tool Warranty
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craftsman Tool Warranty Login/Join 
posted
Well, at least some things still work the way they are supposed to...

Sunday I had a 1/4 drive ratchet that came with my starter tool set in 1981(?) go south on me halfway through a big project.

I was not sure what would happen with all the changes going on at Sears and the Craftsman brand being sold to Stanley but I jumped in the car and drove the local Sears. Imagine my surprise when the cashier in the tool section took a look and said hold on then came back with a shiny new ratchet!

No hassles, no issues and I was in and out in 5 minutes!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ace Hardware is a Craftsman dealer also, and I have had the same experience when I split a socket open.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Where was the replacement tool made?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Kevmo You do realize that the ratchet you gave up lasted for over 30 years because it was made in America. The one you were given in exchange was made in China. doubt you'll be lucky enough to get anywhere near that time out of the new one. I always make them give me a rebuild kit and install it myself. Just sayin

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Our local Ace stopped doing the exchange but the Sears store further out handled a couple Craftsman screwdriver exchanges no problem. And since there is no longer a Craftsman tape measure, they exchanged with a nice Stanley tape measure, but that was it.

Still a bargain.

After hearing the Craftsman line of screwdrivers may be discontinued or outsourced, I stocked up on a few each my most-used sizes from a great Brooklyn vendor. Still US manufacture.

⅜"x 8", ⅜" x 12" (17" overall length), and the handy ⅛" x 2".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Ive have them exchange my broken ratchets with rebuilt units. Initially I was pretty turned off by this but perhaps Im better off than getting newer, probably lower quality replacements.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Wow. You have a local Sears?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the new Chinese Craftsman ratchet that you got won't last 36 years, like its better quality predecessor.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I eventually had to replace the last of my Craftsman screwdrivers with Klein. I really liked my Craftsman tools, but that era is over.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9152 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Craftsman Tools; basically turned to junk over the last fifteen, or twenty years. You can still buy all-American made Craftsman at Summit Racing. These are their industrial versions, and carry the full vendor warranty. Naturally, these cost more. Zoro Industrial Supply carries: Proto, S&K (Owned by Ideal), along with the German Knipex brand. I usually, keep a set of the bargain Gear Wrench brand tools in my trunk.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always make them give me a rebuild kit and install it myself. Just sayin

Fortunately, if push comes to shove somewhere down the road, the kits are plentiful and cheap on ebay. Much better than a rebuilt ratchet handle from Sears in my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Had a probably 35 year old Craftsman 1/2" ratchet go out. (Broke it big time and would rather have rebuilt it but they have no parts, they said). Old school heavy.

Here's what I got as a gratis replacement-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
After 36 years of use, it never would've occurred to me to bring it back for a free new one. I would've headed to The Home Depot and bought a brand new quality ratchet. But I'm really terrible about returning stuff for warranty. More laziness than anything else I think.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I'm an amateur regarding returning stuff and don't always remember to do it myself.

But the record in our family for a return/replacement has to go to my Uncle who had up until about five years ago a Chevy custom van. It was set up as handicap wheelchair-accessible. Because the person eventually didn't need the wheelchair the van didn't get driven much. They used it when their daughter was young but it was seldom driven after that.

In our family we tend to keep some vehicles a long time. This van was twenty years old and only had 33,000 miles. Looked like brand new (Southern car).

One day my Uncle notices that the tires have cracks. They also almost look like new with virtually no tread loss. This van was always in a garage so he takes it back to the place where he bought the tires. (Goodyear, I think).

So the staff at the tire place look at the tires and admit that they are cracked. Probably dry rot, they say. My Uncle proceeds to pull out the original paperwork/warranty for the tires which guaranteed them against dry dot. (He had replaced the original tires with an all-weather radial for travel).

They search through the paperwork and sure enough, he bought the $3.00 extra coverage that says they are guaranteed against dry rot and other failures. But, they say, the guarantee is only good for the first 12,000 miles. (No time limit back then, evidently).

Then the staff realizes that the vehicle has only had 8,000 miles over the fifteen years since the tires were installed. They almost cried but ended up replacing the twenty-year old entire set of tires for free.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Last year I returned a ratchet and socket. They where about 20 years old. The offered a newer longer ratchet which was nice but the larger size would fit in my case. Lucky they looked around and found one like mine.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I've hit the pawn shops and grabbed USA Craftsman ratchet handles. Usually about 1/3 of new and I have spares.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
They will not replace torque wrenches.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy who found a Craftsman crescent wrench in an alley (telephone company lineman). It was missing the screw adjustment. He took it to a Sears and they replaced it. No wonder they have financial problems.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy that was going to garage sales in the 80's and ask for broken sockets/wrenches and turn them in for new ones. Scored some great tools that way.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Unfortunately, the new Chinese Craftsman ratchet that you got won't last 36 years, like its better quality predecessor.

Yeah, but it's a heck of a lot better than the 36 year old BROKEN rachet that he had!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post