SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    S & H or Top Value stamps
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S & H or Top Value stamps Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My parents collected all of 'em. I have a circular saw I inherited when my dad passed. The delivery label on the box says it was shipped to the Gold Bell Redemption Center at 4300 W. Jefferson in Detroit. It still works like a charm, BTW.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Late 60's.
My mother saved a bunch and she redeemed them for a Skotch Cooler.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
S&H (Sperry & Hutchinson) is actually still around, according to Wikipedia, but in a much changed form and under new ownership. Also according to the entry, their heyday was the 1960s through 1980s, but my most recent memory is the early 70s.

Posts: 27953 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My mammaw gave them to me. I think I got my first fishing rod n reel with s&h stamps.
Stamps were my first lessons in saving for something.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I redeemed my grandmothers green stamps for a Coleman 2 burner camp stove. What I can't remember is what I redeemed her Benson & Hedges coupons for. At least I think it was B&H

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I am 46 and remember the S&H books at my Grand parents house....

Does that mean I am old now

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grandparents saved the Green Stamps and, when I went to the store for my folks or for my grandparents, I always brought the stamps back, without fail.

At the gas station my Dad owned, he gave out the Top Value stamps, but they really weren't that popular in comparison to the Green Stamps.

I do recall there were a few older ladies that were real insistent on my not forgetting to give their stamps to them when I filled their tanks with gas, checked their oil and water and washed their windshields.

This would have been in the late 50s up to
'61-2. IIRC.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Lets see.. The Top Value store (yellow) was in the old Pat & Joe's store across from the Gardens. I don't remember the pink stamp store, but we got a lot of them because they gave them away at the local IGA. Green stamp store was downtown. Still in business in 1970 because it was when we got married and we got lots of stamps as wedding presents.

More recently, Marlboro used to have a bar code on each pack. My dog, Spot, and I would go for walks and pick up empties. Got lots of good stuff, including the leather jacket I still wear and the rain jacket I still wear. Yes, I'm cheap and don't mind picking up trash for goodies.

I've still got some that I run across from time to time while looking for other stuff.

I remember my Dad buying new tires and getting double stamps. We were rich to say the least.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yup, I remember S&H stamps when I was a kid in Tampa in the 70s...my mom and grandmother kept them for stuff

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Our family collected them both, I can't remember a thing we got with them. From not so long back, I have a zillion Camel Bucks I never redeemed except for the compromised lungs. Mad

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I remember mom collecting those stamps in the 70’s and 80’s. They used to have a huge warehouse/distribution center not far from me in Norcross off I-85. It’s now a US Foods distribution center.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Green Stamps and Plaid Stamps.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I remember visiting the green stamp redemption place with my mom, but not any particular items. Likely stuff we needed, like dishes and stuff.

She planned her grocery shopping trips to maximize the stamps, always going on double or triple stamp day. I had to paste in all the stamps for her.. and learned to use a sponge to do it!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Memory Lane. My Mom saved Green Stamp (that's what S&H were called) during the 50s and 60s. My early days of college in the early 60s I worked pumping gas at a service station that gave Green Stamps with every purchase. Gas wars were common in those days where gasoline that normally sold for 30 cents a gallon might sell as low as 15 cents a gallon. During these wars we would have one pump at the low price but premium grades stayed at regular price. The big difference was we did not give stamps on the gas war pump. Numerous women would come in and opt for the 35 cent per gallon premium because we gave stamps with it and passed up 15 to 17 cents per gallon gasoline. As a marketing scheme they sure worked.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top Value. My Mom used to redeem them by using a catalog. But once We were visiting my Aunt who lived in Kettering. We went to the Redemption Store in the Hills & Dales shopping center.
No more stamps and even Hills & Dales was torn down.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Do I remember the S&H green stamps? How much time have you got?
One of the jobs I had during my college days during the mid to late 60’s was working in a S&H redemption store unloading an 18 wheeler shipment each week, waiting on customers and feeding the books of stamps through a machine that punched holes in them to “cancel” them. It was done in front of a window that allowed people to watch with sad looks on their faces - after they had taken pains to stick every little stamp in their books.
Some only had a handful of books to redeem; others, the wives of farmers who got tons of stamps when they bought a lot of fuel, had baskets of them. They’d leave the store with wagon loads of merchandise.
The farmer’s wives usually came in with nothing but really long strips of stamps and no books in which to put them. They thought they had to stick each stamp in a book. I’d measure the length of stamps needed to fill a book, shove them in a book and staple it together quicker than a cat could lick his face. They had tears of joy when they realized how quick I could save them from messing with all that wetting and sticking.
Did I ever save stamps? No, I didn’t, but my wife did. After college, I was I sales rep that covered six states and that entailed renting cars and getting wads of green stamps. I used to kid my wife that she just loved me for my green stamps. We still have a knick knack or two around that she got for us over 50 years ago. YMMV Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom, aunt, my brother and two cousins piled into our '57 Caddy coupe one December day in Independence, Mo headed for S&H in Lawrence, KS. On the way back the hydraulic windows failed, so we opened the blankets we traded for and covered up. Stopped at Conoco on the way home and got a free glass with a fill up.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I turned a nice profit on an S&H Green Stamps-themed slot machine a number of years back.

But yeah, you're old.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
S&H,

several grocer's gave them out ,

had a S&H store near one (a chain called Colonial stores was the last to give them out)

Mom did for a while, then we started giving them to my Grandmother

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Got my first baseball glove with S&H Green Stamps.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post