SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    S & H or Top Value stamps
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S & H or Top Value stamps Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Ok, none of you under the age of 45-50 likely have any idea of what I am talking about.

For all of us mature members, which did you collect and when did you last redeem them.

We moved to Cincy in 1972 and I remember the Top Value redemption center, located across from Camargo Cadillac, on Montgomery Road, in Montgomery.

My parents focused on Top Value and I remember going once a year to redeem them. The last thing I remember them getting, was American Tourister luggage.

Any idea when they ceased to exist?

WOW, I feel old. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
S&H - last redeemed in mid to late 60's ?

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
I remember S&H stamps in the late 70's early 80's in Florida

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 56, I remember my mom collecting S & H, no idea what she redeemed them for, can't ask her now unfortunately.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember S&H and Gold Bond (?) Stamps.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both! Depended upon where we lived. Mom collected and redeemed both.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
YES! Mom usually ended up with both kinds and she would trade out with her sister or neighbors to focus on just one brand to collect.

The annual... or even less frequent, trip to the redemption center 50 miles away was a big deal!

And is a similar vein... glassware from detergent boxes!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
In 1969 I redeemed enough S&H Green Stamps to get a 3 x 5 carpet to use in the back of my IH Scout.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
My Mom collected S&H Green Stamps from Western Supermarket growing up. I remember we would go maybe once a year and it was a huge treat for me or my sister to get to pick something out. I can't remember the last thing she ever got, but I remember one of the bigger things was her collecting and filling books for a long time to get a sewing machine she wanted. My guess is that it was the late seventies when they finally went away. Good memories Smile

I remember exactly where the store was located in Birmingham - I went on Google maps and see that a store called 'Alabama Outdoors' is located in the building now.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My tongue hurts suddenly.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
And is a similar vein... glassware from detergent boxes!

And towels! Hawked by Porter Waggoner and Dolly Parton, only in boxes of Breeze detergent!

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
My tongue hurts suddenly.

LOL, your Mom must have laid out all the stamps on the table and told the kids to start licking and sticking! Big Grin

I know the feeling...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
S&H Green stamps for my family in the 60s and 70s. I vaguely remember the redemption center, and I also remember we never got toys, only household stuff Frown. But it was fun to visit as a family, same with Sears, which was a regular Friday night event. Simple times back then.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember both, remember going to the Top Value store, and where the store was. Don't remember the purchases.

Barely remember the S&H store and where it was, didn't go there as much.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
S&H Green Stamp redemption store was next to the Tandy store in El Cajon (on Second St). One time, when mom was redeeming her stamps, dad went to the Tandy store and out with a 4 ft cubed box of leather remnants for $5.

Never was sure who got the better deal but I do know, the box of leather was around for nearly a year.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
S&H for me. Guessing I last redeemed in the late 70's.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I spent almost every weekend with my grandparents from the time I was 10 until I graduated from high school in 1980.

My grandmother collected S&H stamps. On the weekends it was my job to fill books. I got a Nickle for each completed book.

I made a lot of candy money that way. One thing we used to do was look through the redeeming catalog together. Obviously I always showed her the things I really liked. It was a long time before I realized she was paying attention. She always got me the perfect gift at Christmas.

I was probably 15 when I figured it out. Pretty soon S&H started to go away. We switched to looking through the Sears catalog. Good times.

I wouldn't trade that time and the memories for all the money in the world.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My mom never did anything with Green Stamps, but she saved them for my grandmother, who loved to go to the Green Stamp store. I still have all kinds of doodads Grandmommy got there.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Remembered back in the day I found a roll of the 20 stamps in the parking lot. One stamp per page. Big Grin

It was like Christmas any day of the week.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Oh Yeah! S/H Green stamps that grandma would save up for us to lick onto the booklet pages. We kids usually got to cash them in at the S/H store for stuff we wanted but that was way long ago to remember what we got!!

She also had stamps from I think it was Benson and Hedges cigarettes?? That could also be cashed in for items.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post