SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for LED headlamp?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for LED headlamp? Login/Join 
Picture of porterdog
posted Hide Post
There was a flashlight thread on here earlier this year, late March/early April, that setoff a firestorm of flashlight updates around the porterdog house. Rather than tell you about a particular light, I'd like to echo the thoughts above about the power of the 18650 battery and also point you at a database I first heard about on Reddit: http://parametrek.com/

There's a great Reddit subforum ( https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/) and a great friendly forum at http://budgetlightforum.com/.

I got some sweet lights this year, even built a few. Modern LED flashlights are really pretty amazing.

Is your government serving you?

Posts: 1271 | Location: Detroit (Rock City!) | Registered: September 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What are the self-discharge characteristics of the 18650 battery?

For me, something like a headlamp would sit idle literally for months, but when I needed it, I might not have time (or remember) to charge the battery. Being able to forget about it for long periods, but then to be able to pick it up and use it immediately is far more important to me than run time or the economic advantage of a rechargeable. It’s been a long time since I relied on rechargeable batteries for small electrical devices and I imagine things have improved, but I’m not familiar with what they’re like today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
18650's are not like the nicads of old. They have a comparatively small parasitic drain and as long as it is not completely discharged when you put it away, it will be usable for a high percentage of the remaining charge it had when you put it away.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
It uses 18650 batteries. I've changed all my long guns over to 18650 as it gives me a consistent battery platform and the batteries last forever.

Now if someone would just produce a 18650 based pistol light...

Just so you are aware, 18650 batteries have protection circuitry in them which can turn the battery off. Not something you want to happen in an emergency. Plus, the circuitry could be damaged by recoil. 18650 batteries should not be in any defensive use firearm flashlights. Your hunting gun - fine, but your bed side gun, NO!

Bed side guns should be loaded with primary 123 batteries. Period. And the batteries should last for at least 5 years between changes, because they shouldn't be used. You should have a handheld for general flashlight use, and not use a weapon mounted light for general use.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post