SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for LED headlamp?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for LED headlamp? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m seeking an LED headlamp that’s reasonably bright, comfortable and secure to wear, AND must have both red and white lights.

Recommendations? (It doesn’t have to be the cheapest thing on the market.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a Petzl that meets your requirements and have been really happy with it. IIRC it ran around $100.

ETA: Looks like the one I have is no longer available, but this one looks nice and is a lot less than I paid.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well I just grabbed one at Lowes a year or so ago that uses AAAs. It works great and I love the light output but the single switch setup is annoying.

It has 4 or 5 modes and you have to cycle through all of them everytime you turn it on / off. You have to memorize how many clicks to get the mode you want. Same with turning it off, unless you are in the dark and can tell.

So my next one will have separate mode and on / off switches... if there is such a thing.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Black Diamond Spot, 3x AAA, waterproof, compact relatively speaking. Runs about $30 so inexpensive enough you can buy two.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
The Fenix HP25R should fit your needs.

It's a beast with both flood and spot white lights as well as the red you require. In addition, it takes 18650 rechargeable batteries or two CR123A primaries. It's very secure to wear and about par for comfort when compared to my other headlights.

If you don't need that much light and can tolerate the much shorter runtimes, the Fenix HP01 might fit the bill. It uses AA's for power. I do not own one or have any personal experience with that model, however.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Black Diamond Spot, 3x AAA, waterproof, compact relatively speaking. Runs about $30 so inexpensive enough you can buy two.
+1

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Streamlight

I bought one of these three years ago. It has white, red, blue, and ir. Each color has 4 intensities of illumination. It uses either a cr123A battery or a AA battery. When the battery runs down the illumination goes to one intensity before it runs out. You also get a helmet clamp with the strap. It's a bit spendy but I've been quite happy and it's worth the cost to me.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

It's a beast with both flood and spot white lights as well as the red you require. In addition, it takes 18650 rechargeable batteries or two CR123A primaries. It's very secure to wear and about par for comfort when compared to my other headlights.

If you don't need that much light and can tolerate the much shorter runtimes, the Fenix HP01 might fit the bill. It uses AA's for power. I do not own one or have any personal experience with that model, however.

First, what is the purpose of the Red light? I have never understood this.

Second, if you are going to buy that use my link and I get a store credit, plus it is cheaper because of discount code.

http://fenixoutfitters.com?afmc=38

Code = APP10 for 10% ($8) off. Total is $71.95.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Red doesn't wash out your night vision.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:

That’s it. When conducting low light shooting exercises, there’s nothing more annoying than to have one’s dark-adapted vision instantly ruined by someone’s turning on a dazzling white light. As the instructor, I like to set the example. Smile

Thanks for the good suggestions; I will definitely look at them all.
And double thanks for that offer, Skins2881.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Here is a kit from Nitecore. It uses 18650 batteries. I've changed all my long guns and carry lights over to 18650 as it gives me a consistent battery platform and the batteries last forever.

My wife uses the HC-60 which I like really well but it doesn't meet your red LED criteria. The light in the link does and it comes with one of Nitecores better chargers. From the research I've done Nitecore produces about the best smart charger.

Now if someone would just producr a 18650 based pistol light...

Nitecore

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I also have Black Diamond. Works well, & cheap enough.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

That one has gotten most of my interest at the moment.

Can you tell me how the red LED is activated? I see that the white lights have separate switches, which is desirable, but what about the red? How is it turned on and off?

I do have a Streamlight sidewinder, and I may start using it with the headstrap, but now it’s dedicated to the helmet mount.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:

I thought the red light meant one was "open for business"?? Wink Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
[

Can you tell me how the red LED is activated? I see that the white lights have separate switches, which is desirable, but what about the red? How is it turned on and off?

Yes, there are two switches on top of the light. The one on the left (while wearing) controls the white flood and the red and the one on the right the white spot.

To activate the white flood, you click and hold the left switch for around a half-second or so and then single click through the various outputs.

To activate the red, you use that same left switch but forego the initial click and hold for a half-second; with the white flood off, just single click the left switch through its modes.

I also neglected to mention that the ability to recharge via USB cable without removing the battery is a big plus when using 18650's.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Okay, great.

Hopefully I can remember all that and find the right switches when I can't feel my fingers. Wink

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have used this one for years. Has a beam led, flood style led and red light? You can dim the light for almost any brightness you want.

This one has held up to many overnight hikes where it gets thrown in an outside mesh pocket on my pack.

Black Diamond has some newer models that are brighter.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage...amond-cosmo-headlamp

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
I have a zebra headlamp (as well as Petzl, black diamond, etc). The zebra lights are badass, bright as hell (I think 6 different settings), and you can take the light off and use it as a handheld one.

http://www.zebralight.com/

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Fenix HP12 during my night fire classes for the past year. When not in use it is on standby hanging from the dash of my truck. It uses the HP123 batteries, the same as my surefire lights, because I did not want to be bothered with chargers. I am satisfied with its performance and the quality is excellent.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I have been using the Fenix HP12 during my night fire classes for the past year. When not in use it is on standby hanging from the dash of my truck. It uses the HP123 batteries, the same as my surefire lights, because I did not want to be bothered with chargers. I am satisfied with its performance and the quality is excellent.

I use 18650s in every thing I use. I love rechargeable batteries. So much more cost effective and runs longer. You should consider getting some rechargeable 123s and giving them a shot. I use flashlight, headlamps, and lanterns (all Fenix) daily for work, and can't afford disposable ones with the usage my lights get though.

For anyone that would like a headlamp and doesn't need Red, I'd suggest the Fenix HL55 ($54 with above link/code, free shipping, tax free for most people). I use daily, stands up to rain, sweat, dust, and impact very well. 3 or 4 light levels from barely enough to silly bright (10-900 lumen).

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post