SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robot cop falls in fountain while on patrol, drowns...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robot cop falls in fountain while on patrol, drowns... Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Link

Appears we're approaching the initial phases of the iRobot era, hope Wil Smith isnt right...

video at link...

Security Robot Meets Untimely Demise After Drowning On The Job

By Nancy Coleman

WASHINGTON (CNN) — It was one small step for security technology, but one giant leap in the wrong direction for robotkind.

A security robot in Washington, D.C. — lovingly named Steve — plunged down four steps into a fountain Monday.

Sources: Cosmo DiNardo Confesses To 2 Other Killings

Photos show the sad, waterlogged robot cop partially submerged in defeat. It’s unclear if any foul play was involved or if Steve simply rolled down a dark path on his own.

Steve had just started patrolling the Washington Harbour, a riverside complex in Georgetown with restaurants and offices, last week. The Washington Harbour and its real estate developer, MRP Realty, introduced the robot on Facebook on July 12.

The post touts Steve’s “extensive catalogue of security capabilities,” which apparently does not include any underwater crime-fighting.

Steve was still getting used to the streets he was programmed to protect. He was “mapping out the grounds” to theoretically prevent this kind of accident.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Steve was still getting used to the streets he was programmed to protect. He was “mapping out the grounds” to theoretically prevent this kind of accident.

This made me laff.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
A security robot in Washington, D.C. — lovingly named Steve — plunged down four steps into a fountain Monday.

The Washington Harbour and its real estate developer, MRP Realty, introduced the robot on Facebook on July 12.

Made it a whole 5 days before suffering a catastrophic failure?

I'm thinking it needs a lot more R&D time.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
This big push in robotics is three decades too early. Everyone is horny for self driving cars and everything being automated, but then things go sideways because of sun glare, a sandbag, a set of stairs. This is a case where being first to market only exposes you to failures, leaving someone to capitalize with a second take (like apple does).

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
(like apple does).

Yep

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
This made me laff.
Little bastard moved past the theoretical, into the actual and, alas, ultimately, the consequential.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
The humans drive to live is why we do well in environments robots lack this.

There is a robot at one of the local hospitals they use to deliver medications. One bump and it is left flashing lights and repeating over and over..."I have been disrupted" We need a good decade of development before we let these things move around among us. Imagine that robot hitting a person on its way down those stairs.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You just know that somewhere there is security video of that penis shaped robocop pitching down the stairs into the fountain. When that leaks, and it just HAS to leak, the memeing will be epic.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MS4sLlBvbE

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Just wait until our future robot overlords hear about this. It will be the short heard around the world for the coming man vs robot war

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Jesus, even the Roomba can detect when it's next to stairs.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nobody thought that it would be easier to have a quadcopter drone fly a route and report thermal signatures where they don't belong? There are far fewer things to run into in the air.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
I guess they waived the swim test . I would laugh my ass off watching a robot roll into a crowd of protestors thumping ass with a baton.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
We-e-e-ell...

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Extermina---glub glub glub

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You'd think they would have programmed the thing to hold its breath.

Or swim

Or both

posted Hide Post
Technically it didn't drown, just got a little wet and possibly shorted out.

That's going to require a very big bag of rice.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Technically it didn't drown...
No, man, it drowned. I hear they tried to administer DDR.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You'd think they would have programmed the thing to hold its breath.

Or swim

Or both

Or just stand up... I mean, how deeps a fountain?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post