SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Hawaii about to blow up?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Hawaii about to blow up? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
I keep reading these "Big Island Volcano Massive Eruption Imminent" headlines. I talked to a friend over there a few days ago and didn't get the impression that everyone was very worried.

Do we have any members over there now? I know we have had a couple in the past, but I think they have moved back to the mainland.

Any amateur volcano experts?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I have family on the Big Island. I don't think anyone is realistically worried about island-wide destruction. Below Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park there is obvious danger, but for other parts of the island like Hilo and Kona, no-one is really concerned, despite the upgraded "red" warning.

Worst case scenario is probably destruction of rim facilities like the observatory and museum should the volcano "blow its top", and continued destruction of real estate in the lower rift zone should fissures continue to open up.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I remember reading Jules Vern's Mysterious Island. The island was a volcano, and when it went the lava hit the sea water below/inside the island and *BOOM*, no more island!

Good to know that's not gonna happen!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The real danger is if too many people panic and run to one side of the island.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not a geologist, but lived in Hawaii for a number of years and have heard the spiels of the National Park folks there. As I understand it, the Hawaiian island volcanoes formed as the earth's crust moved over a "hot spot" which allows magma from beneath the crust to seep up. I was told these volcanoes are not like those in the "ring of fire" around the Pacific rim, which are much more likely to blow big-time a la St. Helens.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Yeah, then it'll tip over, and everyone will drown. So, folks really need to take each a chill pill. Smile

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Yeah, then it'll tip over, and everyone will drown. So, folks really need to take each a chill pill. Smile

You, sir, are qualified for Congress! Big Grin

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Don’t be silly. The big island is much larger than Guam. If all the people go to one side we should be concerned with the rocking motion that will be caused with the people on one side and the volcano on the other. At best it will see-saw.

Tip over

Sheesh

What are you, in Congress? Smile

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
The key worry then is the rocking producing a tidal wave. Good news is it will hit the coast of California

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Remember this idiot (Hank Johnson) who said Guam would tip over?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/h...fter-marine-buildup/
And these ingrates are running the country!

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for explaining the joke that everyone already understood, Vinnie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What if.....Krakatoa? Eek

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm far more worried about the Yellowstone caldera going boom. That would affect everyone on the planet.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I'm far more worried about the Yellowstone caldera going boom. That would affect everyone on the planet.

Jim

That reminds me...I need to pick up some more gas for the generator.

Hey, you never know....

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe they could sacrifice a virgin, like Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in Joe vs. The Volcano.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Based on what the USGS has been saying, I would not be surprised if there were some sort of explosive eruption. But even if there is, we're not talking something that would be on the scale of what we think of as a big eruption (think Pinatubo or even the smaller St. Helens.) It would effect at most a several mile radius around the summit.

In point of fact Kilauea is, IIRC, the single most active volcano on the planet. I would expect it to make a big burp every once in a while. I'm amazed the State of Hawaii allow construction as close to it as they do. That whole corner of the big island should be off limit to permanent construction, because what is happening now was bound to happen. This is not the first time that volcano has run over houses.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Don’t be mislead by “Big Island” or that it is Hawaii County. It is the biggest in size but Oahu/Honolulu has far more people. There are communities on the east side of the Big Island but not the same extremely urban area. A lot more rural.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Oahu is roughly 1/8 the size of The Big Island and 8 times the population

I think the population of the big island and Maui/Molokai are almost the same

Think almost a million people on Oahu, but less than 200,000 on Hawaii. But...it’s been a long time since I lived there, and I haven’t seen any recent census or anything

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
What if.....Krakatoa? Eek

Given our current knowledge of volcanism, an event like that on Hawaii is unlikely. Krakatoa was constantly growing and everyone could see it, besides the cone that continued to grow, the surrounding areas were rising and cracking. All indicating there was a large magma chamber underneath with little steam/gas releases; pressure built up and boom. Other than the explosion itself, there was plenty of signs that 'something big' was happening, the problem is that location doesn't vent itself too well.

Hawaii moves over a hot-spot >Southest towards Northwest<, whereas the Circle of Fire volcanos are generated by plate subduction. There's plenty of vents for pressure and lava to escape so a super violent explosion is unlikely, what isn't known is how big the magma chamber is underneath and where it is exactly. Clearly it's on the southeastern side, where the fissures have formed which is in-line with plate tectonic movement. All of which makes the location of the Puna housing development and the geothermal plant all the more baffling. With all the fissures, that magma chamber may just ooze lava and fart gas for several weeks or months...

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
It's The Big One....

>> https://youtu.be/stdi-1tIUhM

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post