SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Hawaii about to blow up?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Hawaii about to blow up? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I'm far more worried about the Yellowstone caldera going boom. That would affect everyone on the planet.

Jim
You got that right!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Surprised they are not discussing hilina slump more.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
In point of fact Kilauea is, IIRC, the single most active volcano on the planet. I would expect it to make a big burp every once in a while. I'm amazed the State of Hawaii allow construction as close to it as they do. That whole corner of the big island should be off limit to permanent construction, because what is happening now was bound to happen. This is not the first time that volcano has run over houses.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. There was a time it would have. But ever since I moved into an area that is, or was, mostly lakes and swampland, and watched the state, county and municipalities allow building in places that flood regularly, what government allows surprises me no longer.

Learning that was why, when I bought our home, I didn't rely on anybody else, but did my own research. We're surrounded, literally, by flood-prone properties. But we're on a ridge. Those other properties are where the water from the ridge we're on goes.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
For many years they have been reports that Hawaii would go kaboom but till date it’s still standing, beautiful and safe...people who like there should be rather for a SHTF scenario though.

Posts: 90 | Registered: December 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Yeah, Oahu is roughly 1/8 the size of The Big Island and 8 times the population

I think the population of the big island and Maui/Molokai are almost the same

Think almost a million people on Oahu, but less than 200,000 on Hawaii. But...it’s been a long time since I lived there, and I haven’t seen any recent census or anything

Yeah, something close to that, guess what we'll all move (1 million +) to Texas, because the cost of living here is too damn high and gun laws suck. What city Houston or Dallas is the question? Cowboys?

People live in flood zones, tornado zones and volcano zones, and even after catastrophe hits time and time again, they still move back and re-settle...go figure.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
The real danger is if too many people panic and run to one side of the island.

Yeah, then it'll tip over, and everyone will drown. So, folks really need to take each a chill pill. Smile

I'm concerned the island will split in half along the fault line and sink.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
quote:

Think almost a million people on Oahu, but less than 200,000 on Hawaii. But...it’s been a long time since I lived there, and I haven’t seen any recent census or anything

Yeah, something close to that, guess what we'll all move (1 million +) to Texas, because the cost of living here is too damn high and gun laws suck. What city Houston or Dallas is the question? Cowboys?
Please! Please! If you do that, leave all the Liberals/Progressives back there! (Hawaii is considered even more Blue than California.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't think I heard it will blow up the way that Wyoming might or even the way Mount St. Helens did, but the volcano might erupt and rain down some lava bombs and ash.

That would be exciting but not devastating for the whole island.

But who knows. This is above all of our pay grade.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
quote:

Please! Please! If you do that, leave all the Liberals/Progressives back there! (Hawaii is considered even more Blue than California.)

flashguy

Well...then it would be about six of us, me my buddies...wives are iffy at this point. Razz

You're right though, our former AG, was alll about turning Hawaii into a sanctuary state..fighting President Trump's temporary ban on immigration all the way...I don't get it...why?? Now he's running for Lieutenant Gov., and after that you know what...Dems rule, hardly any Republican presence to speak of at all...send help now!!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Not to be a harbinger of doom but, there was that volcanic lake in Cameroon that put out a lot of co2. It asphyxiated 2000 people and all of their live stock. It could happen...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Vesuvius?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Different kind of volcano

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Vesuvius?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Vesuvius?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Yes. You didn't specify when....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
The real danger is if too many people panic and run to one side of the island.

Darned right, the island could capsize.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I'm far more worried about the Yellowstone caldera going boom. That would affect everyone on the planet.

Jim

I heard a geologist say This was a bunch of bunk pushed by Nat Geo types for ratings. There will be an eruption there, but the threat of it being a massive cataclysmic type event is almost nil.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Not to be a harbinger of doom but, there was that volcanic lake in Cameroon that put out a lot of co2. It asphyxiated 2000 people and all of their live stock. It could happen...

Geology is completely different in Hawaii.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Interesting animated image of what is occurring at the caldera in Volcano National Park:

Even though I've been there I was having trouble understanding where the fissures were and why it seemed like the media was talking about multiple locations. This map gets updated daily and helped:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Place: the rim of Kilauea
Year: 1968

Kilauea68 - 1a by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem to be showing any signs of slowing down.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post