SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitten/Cat experts step in please.....litter box
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitten/Cat experts step in please.....litter box Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
Good morning all,

I've been fostering two kittens from a feral cat's litter for about 2 1/2 weeks...will probably wind up keeping them.

Issue:
I set up a litter box and they took to it immediately. However, one or both of them found a spot right in the corner of the hallway against the door leading out to the garage to sometimes urinate. I clean the area with soap and water (Dawn) and then hit it pretty good with Bruce's Wood and Laminate Floor Cleaner. Still...the one goes back to that area even though I think she's using the box as well.

I'm sure this is a result of the urine smell still existing in that area, and that's what draws the one or both of them back there to think it's a peeing location. What in the world can I do/get to rid that area of the urine smell so they won't go back in that area??

Thanks, oh wizards of SF!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
In cleaning up accidents and removing the odors that can cause repeats, we have used 'Nature's Miracle' products with good results.

There are enzymes in it that helps break down the chemicals that send those 'this is the place' signals.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
You can put the little box there and once they start using it slowly move it to where you want. Also, the pet store has a specific spray that will mask that smell and replace it with something they dont like.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Use an enzyme cleaner. We use Mary Ellen's Atmosklear and that works pretty good.

Also, if you can move the litter box to that locatio, that helps. Sometimes cats tell you where they want to pee.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yup, use a good quality enzyme product.

Nature's Miracle used to be great -- the original formula -- not as much now, since they changed it.

If you were within personal distance, I would karma you a bottle of our stuff, but it costs about as much to ship as you could buy some for.

Instead of a pet store, go to your local Ace or True Value hardware store and look for a septic tank treating product that contains the enzymes. Same stuff, more cost-effective.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Clean it up really well and put a bowl of food there. They don't go where they eat.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Put out a second litter box that is not too far from the first one. Sometimes cats get picky about using the litter right after a different cat had used it.

I use this to clean up cat urine problems, it does a good job getting rid of the smell:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with a product called Odor Mute. You can mix it to any strenght you need, also will work on skunk odor.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Good rule of thumb that many behaviorists spout off is that you should have one litterbox more than you have cats. I know, that's a royal pain in the gluteus, but if there are 2 cats, that's 3 boxes. Be sure the boxes are all clean and that they know the box(es) location(s). Also make sure the sides are not so tall that it bothers the cats too much to get in or out (especially if they might hurt when doing so), or they'll just go elsewhere.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Good rule of thumb that many behaviorists spout off is that you should have one litterbox more than you have cats.

^^^ This! We normally have two boxes, and it works well for our two cats (we clean it several times a day). If we go away for more than a few days, we put out a third box.

Posts: 9036 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Back in the day here, with two cats, two boxes. One for pee, one for the other. And they mostly stuck with this routine.

If they are peeing outside the box, the food idea is intriguing! (Coming from a genuine pet psychologist). The other idea is a squirt water bottle. You see them even sniff in that area, squirt them with water.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And get them varmints fixed as soon as you can. The odor difference afterward is substantial.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Our most recent kitten hated the litter we were using. We've had cats for decades and never had this before...

Once we found a special litter that didn't bother her paws, she's been more willing to use the litter box.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice y'all. I'm gonna try the anti-urine/odor killer product first. They use the cat box and don't mind the litter...they almost play in the dang thing sometimes. For some reason, one of them peed there at some point and they will continue to do so as long as they smell it.

Thanks again....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
After removing the urine odor, there are repellents that might help as well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good rule of thumb that many behaviorists spout off is that you should have one litterbox more than you have cats. <snip>.

We have zero cats do we really need to have one litter box? Razz

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Good rule of thumb that many behaviorists spout off is that you should have one litterbox more than you have cats. <snip>.

We have zero cats do we really need to have one litter box? Razz

I guess it depends if the refrigerator light works.

http://jokes.cc.com/funny-doctor/4303vq/the-fridge

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good rule of thumb that many behaviorists spout off is that you should have one litterbox more than you have cats. I know, that's a royal pain in the gluteus, but if there are 2 cats, that's 3 boxes. Be sure the boxes are all clean and that they know the box(es) location(s). Also make sure the sides are not so tall that it bothers the cats too much to get in or out (especially if they might hurt when doing so), or they'll just go elsewhere.

This. This is the advice my husband's cousin (vet) gave us, and it worked immediately. We haven't had a problem since.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post