SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My soon to be 2017 Ford Escape *Update: Livernois tune installed page 13*
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My soon to be 2017 Ford Escape *Update: Livernois tune installed page 13* Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
As many know, I have ordered a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium with 18in wheels.
The car will be an urban warrior for the Front Range of Colorado, so some snow.
No off roading.
I want something to make the Escape handle a bit more sporty than the Michelin Latitude tires that come with it will provide.

Would it be odd and out of place to choose the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lbj,

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I like Michelin tires but I wonder if the tires are more capable than what the Escape can deliver.

The tires you're looking at are considered to be Ultra High Performance and I'm not sure if the Escape can perform. Also look at the wear rating of 500 and these tires will wear out sooner than later.

As an alternate suggestion, perhaps look at the Michelin Premier LTX that has a 620 rating and is highly regarded and wins most tests. I believe the the overall profile of the LTX will better match the new vehicle.

Posts: 4066 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I've never used the specific tires you asked about. I always run high performance all seasons on my is350. I have never had any issues getting stuck. And it's winter 6 months a year here. It was this or get summer tires and rims for snow tires.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've always been a fan of Yokohama Geolander. I use them on my work truck and they improved the ride and snow driving for me. I'm no expert but took advice from someone I consider an expert and have been happy with then.

Posts: 45324 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I assume you got the 2l Ecoboost? It's a peppy little sucker. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one but I got a better deal on my X1.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I had the Latitude tires on a Mercedes SUV and was never able to push the car beyond the capability of these tires. I am no timid driver either. You may be over thinking this one a bit.

ETA this was in Seattle, not my current location. We lived in the Cascade foothills so plenty of snow, winding roads, rain, etc...

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 2.0 Ecoboost.

I would agree that the tire I want might be a bit more capable than the Escape.
That said, the price is just slightly less than say the Michelin Premier LTX.

Latitudes are known to be loud.

Exactly what happens if one puts a tire on a vehicle that is more capable than the vehicle itself?
I don't know, I've never done this before.
Perhaps ride quality suffers?

As I say, the vehicle is on order.
2017 Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost Titanium with navigation and 301A package in Lightning Blue.
I am coming out of a 2004 X5 Sport and also have a Shelby, so improvements to the Escape continually cross my mind while I wait.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Great choice...I drive a 15 Escape Titanium. Mine is just 2 wheel drive as I am a Freeway warrior.

71,000 miles in 2.5 years problem free.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3454 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Ford makes a Kuga in Europe that is basically an Escape.
Over there, and this year, an ST line Kuga suspension is available.
I am looking to buy and import that if possible.
If not, maybe just the ST line thicker sway bars then.

Over on the Escape forum, some say there is a Ford dealer with a performance tune for the 2.0L Ecoboost.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have been particularly happy with my Pirelli Cinturatos. They had overwhelmingly good reviews on tire rack as high performance all season tires.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, I've found that if tire Rack sells it for that vehicle (after you put in the vehicle, year, etc.) that it's fine for the vehicle. Probably more tire than the Escape can take advantage of, but should be ok. How much it will increase handling, who knows. I would wring it out a little with the factory Michelins and then go from there.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am told it should be a 6 to 8 week wait for delivery.
In the meantime, I have nothing to do but dream I guess.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Yes, the 2.0 Ecoboost.

I would agree that the tire I want might be a bit more capable than the Escape.
That said, the price is just slightly less than say the Michelin Premier LTX.

Latitudes are known to be loud.

Exactly what happens if one puts a tire on a vehicle that is more capable than the vehicle itself?
I don't know, I've never done this before.
Perhaps ride quality suffers?

As I say, the vehicle is on order.
2017 Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost Titanium with navigation and 301A package in Lightning Blue.
I am coming out of a 2004 X5 Sport and also have a Shelby, so improvements to the Escape continually cross my mind while I wait.

Great looking vehicle, please post when you do get it!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rollover?

We had a previous generation Escape, 2010 maybe, which went wonky without warning. On a jughandle exit from the freeway it would be nicely carving the turn and then get all unstable in both direction and roll. In an instant, no easing into a slide or a slow increase in roll.

Idk if it was simply the high center of gravity or if there were other factors, but it taught me to stay far away from the edge in that vehicle.

Posts: 9397 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like my Michelin Defender LTX but sizes are limited. My wife's vehicle will soon be getting the Premiere LTX. For all season tires, I can't complain. The Defender LTX has a bit deeper tread. Mine took about 200 miles to settle down.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I'm really about steering responsiveness with handling.
I like a stiff sidewall tire.
That's why I am thinking about the A/S 3+.

The Escape weighs the same as a Mustang, so weight should not be an issue.
Tire wear and tire life do not matter to me.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Continental DWS06. I've used the DWS line on multiple vehicles. They are an ultra high performance all season. Great grip. If you need dedicated winter tires then go that route but for the rest of the year the Contis are damn nice. Lots of praise. Check them out on tire rack.com. Discount Tire will price match.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am told it should be a 6 to 8 week wait for delivery.
In the meantime, I have nothing to do but dream I guess.

Start looking at aftermarket suspension upgrades to make it handle better! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
We bought a 2013 2.0l Escape brand new it came with Continental Contitrac tires and they were get performing and did just fine in the snow.

Email me your address and I'll send you the performance air filter I have. I don't think they have changed the air of for 2017.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25340 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I have Michelin Pilot AS3s on my Mazda 6 that are my 3 season tires.

They have seen light snow in the transition months and do quite well.

They track extremely well in the wet and handle very well in the dry.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post