SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My soon to be 2017 Ford Escape *Update: Livernois tune installed page 13*
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My soon to be 2017 Ford Escape *Update: Livernois tune installed page 13* Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Glad you found a dealer that listened and did as you asked.

I've walked out of car dealers because they couldn't or refused to do simple things that cost them nothing.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Every time I visited Spradley Barr the past month, I kept making my requests and they kept saying not to worry.
But I did worry, it's my nature when something is important to me.

I was so happy they did as I requested that I gave my 2 sales people 100 dollars each and asked them to go have dinner on me or give the money to charity.

quote:
Originally posted by varoadking:
The washing routine makes sense...just never thought about it, I guess. Thanks...

It's just me, I'm OCD about spider lines in clear coats.

Chemo brain makes me edit a lot these days and I was editing when you posted, sorry.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
It's just me, I'm OCD about spider lines in clear coats.

Chemo brain makes me edit a lot these days and I was editing when you posted, sorry.

Never heard of that before. But I was pissed at a dealer that put their badges on the car after I purchased it. It didn't have that crap on there when I signed the contract, you will be removing it and buffing the area covered in glue. They were happy to do so.

Drive that MFer like it was stolen!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
If the badge has that sticky 3M tape that holds it on, removal by a pro takes minutes.
They use plastic fishing line to run underneath the badge to remove it, and a special solvent to remove any residue.

If they put a proper normal type modern badge on, it's a snap for a pro to remove and you'll never know it was there.

Still though, I didn't want to have to have it removed because never putting it on in the first place is just better.

If they epoxy it, I'd leave it.
I bought a 1972 BMW 2002 and the badge was epoxied on.
Ever time I approached the car from the rear, it just rankled me for a couple years until some hit me in the back.
Then during the repair, I asked that it be thrown away and not put back on.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Remember the 60 and 70's when some dealers drilled two holes in the car and mounted their metal badges. Holy shit that would not be good.

Glad you picked up your Escape.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do remember those.
Yuck.

I remember my dad being pissed when he saw how it was done on his 1965 Buick Riviera. You could tell how it mounted when the trunk was open.
Orand Buick I think it was.

Here is something cool.
From inside the Escape on the dash by the driver door, I pushed the tailgate button to open it.
Then I pushed it again and it closed.

I also used the motion detector in the back using my foot to open the tailgate.
It's a 2 second delay, giving me time to take a step back before it opens.
Then I used my foot again and it gave me 2 seconds to step away before it closed.
There is also a close button on the bottom of the tailgate I can push to close it.
No delay for that one.

i9t's night here and just returned from a test drive.
The HID Xenon headlights are plenty bright.
I don't think they self level but aiming is good.

It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then I used my foot again and it gave me 2 seconds to step away before it closed.

Always good to not get smacked by the tailgate....So I've been told.... Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:

Always good to not get smacked by the tailgate....So I've been told.... Wink

Someone's been telling you wrong.... I've been getting smacked by the tail gate at Skins games for years.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Enjoy!!

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Nice ride. If you like being able to "customize" things, look into Forscan software that lets you change a number of settings.

All you need is the free software and a special ELM327 OBD2 reader ($30 from Amazon)

Works on Ford Mustangs, Fusions, F Trucks, imagine works on Escapes as well.

With my new Mustang I disabled the seatbelt dinger, change the time out for the radio to run with ignition off, and set it to allow my fog lights to stay on with high beams (factory turns off fog when high beams come on, then back on when switch to low beam).

Also programmed to require a double push on the fob to activate alarm (fewer pocket trips that way).

Different setting and options available depending on vehicle model and trim level.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do you miss the anticipation? I often do after waiting for something I really want.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am running slow this morning.
It was a very long day yesterday what with hat day for oldest daughter and the new car delivery.

Interesting tool mentioned above, and no I do not miss the anticipation. It was a long wait, or seemed that way.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I like everything about my 2014 Escape. The Titanium package rocks.

Enjoy your new Escape.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to the reviews as you drive it!
I think the Escape is a good looking small truck and should be very fun to drive.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Nice ride. If you like being able to "customize" things, look into Forscan software that lets you change a number of settings.

All you need is the free software and a special ELM327 OBD2 reader ($30 from Amazon)

Works on Ford Mustangs, Fusions, F Trucks, imagine works on Escapes as well.

With my new Mustang I disabled the seatbelt dinger, change the time out for the radio to run with ignition off, and set it to allow my fog lights to stay on with high beams (factory turns off fog when high beams come on, then back on when switch to low beam).

Also programmed to require a double push on the fob to activate alarm (fewer pocket trips that way).

Different setting and options available depending on vehicle model and trim level.

Forscan is a fun little tool. Have made some little changes on my F150 & the wife's Flex.
Be sure to take backups of all modules prior to making any changes.

Can also add feature that may not have been present/enabled on your trim. I added hill descent control on mine (feature is only on FX4 4x4 trucks).
Also have the Ford GT skin on the boot screen & stereo interface.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
What is the reason behind that?

I don't like dealer badges because they clutter up the back end.

The no washing:
Over time, clear coats get spider web lines and once present, one has to buff them out.
I also cannot count on how how many cars were washed or dried with a chamois before mine and I wished to avoid any dirt being rubbed on the finish.

I have had bad experiences in the past with a BMW dealer.

I normally would have the energy to buff out any spider lines in the clear coat, but given my illness, it just pain hard for me to buff my cars anymore.
I mean I still can, but I need rest about every quarter panel or door.
The medication side effects have caused muscle loss even though I work out, I cannot get muscle back.

So, I adapt, like asking the dealer to let me have the car touch free.
And they happily did so.

I really like that dealer, I have bought a new Mustang GT and 2 Escapes from them in the last 5 years, as well as a used Passat.

I am not saying that Spradley Barr is perfect.
I can say they are better than most that I have dealt with in my lifetime.

I understand the dealer name delete...I do that with every car too...

The washing routine makes sense...just never thought about it, I guess. Thanks...

for the love of god dont EVER let dealers detail your cars, even exotic car dealers do a horrendous job and any detailer will tell you, the "detailers" at the dealerships do way more harm than good.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ Yep & to the kid washing it, it's just an Escape, so through the auto-wash it goes, number 624,459,875 to go through it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15312 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
One can walk on just about any dealer lot and if the car has been there a month, take a look at the sides of the cars when the sun is low shining on the side of the car.

You'll see the spider web silk type lines all over that side.

Most people pretty much don't care.
I do though.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
2017 Ford Escape Titanium Review

I have about 100 miles on my new Escape, so I thought to write about my initial impressions.

As many know, I have typically owned higher end vehicles all of my life. Acceleration and handling are important to me.

I picked up the car during a windy thunderstorm last week and immediately drove it home and placed it in the garage.
As I drove home, I had the feeling I always get when driving a new vehicle, like asking myself if I have made a mistake.
It is the initial unfamiliarity of the car that makes me ask that.

I am surprised at the acceleration and ride feel.
I had seen the 0-60 numbers and they are a match to my 2004 X5 Sport, but it just didn't make sense to me as I'm old school and out of touch a bit. I mean, I am 62 years old.
A 2017 2.0L turbo is as quick as a V-8 from 13 years ago? Yes, it’s true.

Another notion the car dispelled me of was I thought that because the Escape was smaller, it would feel like I was going faster than whatever speed I was going. The opposite is what it feels like, it feels like I am going slower that I am actually going.

The 2.0L Ecoboost has plenty of power for this 3600lb car and if I wasn't so hooked on acceleration coming from a 585HP Mustang, I would not want more power. However, I just have to do the Livernois tune to get 300HP just because.
Again though, the car is just fine as it is. Really it is.

With regards to the suspension, it works perfectly, it just not "refined". And I do not wish to be a snob here, but I have the feeling I am. I can be like that, oh well.
The Escape does not lean as much when cornering as I thought it would which is a good thing. If I have the opportunity to install some thicker sway bars I will, but that's just me, not that it is absolutely necessary.
I am going to rid the car of the Michelin Latitude tires and put on Michelin Pilot A/S3+ tires.
At that point, I will be able to tell more about the shocks and springs because tires can be a big part of the equation when talking suspension.
The steering on the Escape took me 2 days to get used to. Very small subtle movements of the steering wheel result in dramatic changes of direction. The steering is pretty light but works well for me.

I still have not figured out where the motion sensor resides when using that to open the tailgate or I am using the wrong motion to activate it. Eventually I will get it right each and every time.
I also like the fact that the button on the dash that I can push to open the tailgate from inside the car can be pressed to close the tailgate. I really like that feature.

One thing that was initially troublesome was the lack of vision out the rear window.
Fortunately Ford had thought of this and if one unlocks the rear seat headrests, they fold down nicely allowing better vision out the back

Not only do I like the Blue Lightning color of my Escape, I really like the white DRL strips by the headlights. It’s a great look during both day and night as well as a good safety feature.
The paint looks good, and soon I plan on covering the front end with self healing Expel Ultimate clear bra.
The lines of the car are sleek IMO, so I really like the way the car appeals to my eyes.

I was worried about having a touch screen in the car, figuring it would bother me as I drove around. Truth be told, I don’t notice it during daylight. That surprised me.
I am still not used to the touch screen menu with has about a billion settings.
As time goes by, I will learn it and get the hang of it.

That’s about all I have for now because I have only driven about a 100 miles.
I should have more of my biased observations as drive my Escape in the future.

The reasons I bought this Escape are many. My terminal illness caused me to look for a car that was easy to get into and get seated, was nimble, had sufficient power, a decent stereo, and had the cool tailgate features mentioned above because given my physical limitations, that part helps me a lot.

I knew when I selected this Escape for purchase I would like it.
What I didn’t know was that I would love it, which I do.

I will add to my review as time goes by.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review.

The key to working the tailgate sensor is to kick your foot straight forward and not side to side.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post